Everquest Classic Server with old source code? (PVE) January 13 (PVP) January 15 ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tyrone, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnar Augur

I wish they would make a classic server and give it its own boards, just so the general population of everquest doesn't have to see and here the same handful of people constantly begging and complaining for "the original EQ". Please Devs, let these poor unfortunate souls find some peace and finally be happy, though im sure a year later a new crop of them will beg for another <insert individual idea of classic> server posts.

I have my own personal idea that might make SOE some money. Id love to see the ability to rent and play npc's or mobs on the TLP and the potential classic server, its definitely possible because you experimented with the idea in the past. Id pay any unreasonable rate you could come up with just to log in and slap the old schooler's around maybe help them enjoy the exp death penalty and other time sinks of their fondest of memories.

(ive played since april of 1999 and im happy with the current evolution of the game)
    Rainbowdash and Vouivre like this.
  2. Koutarou Elder

Because I don't expect the personnel resources allocated by Sony to EQ to increase in the case of a theoretical classic server, so any time spent on doing things specific to it is time that is lost for all the other players.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Vouivre like this.
  3. JarekStorm New Member

EQClassic is overwhelmingly defined as Everquest, Ruins of Kunark, and Scars of Velious. There are many "online communities" verifying this, and you all know what I mean.

The original music, spell particles, player models, zone art, crafting, spell research, and overall rule set as it was in Velious, just before the SoL launch, would be accepted by anyone who is serious about the matter as EQClassic.

There is no debate among the "community who keeps requesting a Classic server" concerning the definition of Classic.

Classic is EQ, Kunark, and Velious.
    SALTDOG likes this.
  4. Vouivre Augur

That would be factually incorrect since one of the most debated topics on the EQ boards for years has been what is and is not Classic. Not only which servers which for some people is just the original EQ, others it is EQ and Kunark, some EQ, Kunark, and Velious, some even up to PoP, but also about which features should be considered. If you looked as much as you claim you would know this.

Regardless your opinion is your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it's nothing more than that.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. JarekStorm New Member

Actually it is the shared opinion of several thousand like minded individuals, easily verifiable with a simple web search.
    SALTDOG likes this.
  6. Vouivre Augur

Actually it is highly debated by many on the boards easily verifiable with a simple forum search here in the archives and even in this thread probably and the one on the TLP forum.
  7. Tarrin Augur

I always liked the " here is my point, now you do the research to back it up " stance.
    Vouivre likes this.
  8. JarekStorm New Member

It is against the EULA to link to or even discuss certain online projects.

If Google is too much for you, then I apologize.
  9. Tarrin Augur

Does that mean you mentioning I should google your evidence that backs up your point ( since you can't link it ) is also against the EULA?
  10. Vouivre Augur

Mostly referencing a bunch of criminals running an illegal server is hardly proof.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Nolrog like this.
  11. JarekStorm New Member

No less than referencing this forum which is populated by people who actually prefer modern EQ, many of which are totally opposed to the developers allocating any time or resources to a Classic Server.

The fact remains that there is a substantial amount of people who are interested enough in a Classic EQ experience to devote their own time and resources to the concept. To that large number of people, Original, Kunark, and Velious are considered the Classic Everquest experience.

Your defamation of character aside, there is interest for this type of Classic Everquest server. A lot of interest.
    Recnarp likes this.
  12. Vouivre Augur

The truth and facts are not defamation of character. Defamation of character is specifically false. They are breaking the law which makes them criminals. Fact. They are running an illegal server. Fact. Players accessing illegal servers are breaking the law. Fact. Whether or not someone goes after them is irrelevant. End of story.
  13. JarekStorm New Member

Semantics.

It makes the point no less valid. There is a large amount of interest in an Original, Kunark, and Velious Classic EQ server.

Your own reference proves that you already know this.
  14. Vouivre Augur

Where did I say there was no interest? I didn't. Ever.
  15. Tarrin Augur

There are many games I play for free I wouldn't play if I had to pay for, especially if the option to play it for free remained.
  16. Rainbowdash Augur

I'm fully aware of what "project" you're referring too, as I myself rejoined Live after a few years on this "project" and having intermixed with that "community" I can tell you a couple things.

1. The people you speak of are a conglomerate of people who, not only took elitist gaming to an extreme, completely ruining their own end game, but also treat EQ religiously. They also, like yourself, seem to be unable to determine the definition of the word "opinion". Because this is just that, an opinion. Until the creators of the game itself (Sony) give us a definitive answer of what "Classic" means (they never will, Piestro doesn't even want to go into this conversation, let alone define the word) it will always just be a matter of perspective, regardless of majority view.

2. There is quite a few people over there that think "Classic" is limited to base EQ, no expacs (even Kunark/Velious). There are also many who think "Classic" extended up to Luclin or PoP. More so than you apparently realize.I was also the one that got Luclin models working over there, and so I can tell you the approximate numbers of people who wanted them in contrast to those who didn't because it came from "filthy disgusting EQ destroying no-one-can-like-it-because-i-don't Space Cats: The Expansion". The numbers would probably surprise you.

3. That community does not equal the EQ community as a whole. In fact, if that kind of argument were actually to be made, EQ Live's community (The one you're on right now) is the only legitimate contestant and by that standard your entire argument is void as most people here could give two giant rat ear pies about what "Classic" means.

That's my first bit of advice.

Second bit. Don't think you're some cool undergound mega evil person for knowing or even participating in that project. You're not. Anyone with half a brain or at least access to Google knows exactly what you're talking about, Every single EQ related video on youtube has ~5k comments referring to it by name for god's sake.

Third and lastly. Since you apparently don't know the definition of this word (so few people do these days....)
    In general, an opinion is a subjective belief, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. It can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analysing the supporting arguments.[1] In casual use, the term opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. It may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs. - Wikipedia
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Vouivre like this.
  17. Vouivre Augur

Exactly! I use Runescape as an example of this all the time. It is a very popular game. It wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't playable for free. Their cost last I checked to go "gold" is only $5.00 a month too and still the vast majority of players are free. I don't play Runescape by the way so don't judge me!
  18. Moklianne Augur

They aren't breaking the law in every country, even if they were here in the US. I doubt they even are actually.

Many years ago in the US, if you purchased a product you own everything about that item with the exception of selling it for more than what you got it for. That meant, you could replace any code, parts, enhance the design, whatever you want as long as you didn't try to resell it. I think as a society we've let patent law get out of control, or rather have too much of it.

How is using this ancient code, of which the source is not actually being used but rather an actually illegal? There is no charge for playing, so there's that loophole as well. If all of this was actually illegal (and not in some gray area), then Blizzard would be going after all of the WoW emus, NC soft would be going after all of their emus, etc. They have the muscle to crack down on stuff like this the quickest since they are behemoths.
  19. JarekStorm New Member

Although your tone is very condescending, I will be civil in my reply. I have never personally played with those folks, since I have already heard the sort of unsavory behavior of which you speak. It still does not refute the fact that there is a significant interest in the Original-Velious Classic Era of Everquest.

Also, I certainly do not think of myself as cool, evil, or underground. I am a 40 something who loves the internet, but has great disdain for Internet culture in general. I am certainly no l337 haX0r or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

Lastly, I have always agreed that my opinion was just that, an opinion. I just stated that there are many, many people who share my opinion. As for providing me with a definition, I have an advanced education, and I am familiar with the term, its meaning, and usage.
  20. Rainbowdash Augur

It is technically protected under Creative commons law. Meaning it's basically a fan fiction. They take the client (they own, they take a strong stance against illegal downloads), reverse engineer, rebuild themselves, make custom content.

Sony can shut it down if they want though, just like a company can choose to have fan fictions pulled off the web or fan videos pulled off youtube. They can also ban accounts of participators if they so choose, as it does violate EULA. Beyond that...

This isn't a discussion about this though haha
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.