Everquest Classic Server with old source code? (PVE) January 13 (PVP) January 15 ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tyrone, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vouivre Augur

Obviously it can't be illegal because he says it's not.
  2. Tobynn Augur

The client uses the software licensed by SOE via the EULA. The servers do not distribute any copyrighted files and are not making any sort of money or profit off of the intellectual property of SOE. There is no theft involved.
  3. Tobynn Augur

Obviously it can't be legal because you say it's not.

Burden of proof is all on you. You're the one throwing accusations of illegality and criminality. Prove it.
  4. Vouivre Augur

I already showed what the DMCA covers. You haven't disproved it yet. Making money isn't an issue.
  5. Vouivre Augur

They are altering, reverse engineering, and circumventing the way the program is meant to work. Two of those are specifically covered.
  6. SALTDOG Lorekeeper

This. EC Tunnel, Fungi Tunics, Ring Wars.

No cat people. No gingerbread men mercs.
  7. Vouivre Augur

No maps. No raid window. No guild window. No LFG window. No chat channels.
  8. Cakeny Augur

Hell levels, staring at spell book, no mounts.
  9. SALTDOG Lorekeeper

Correct.
  10. SALTDOG Lorekeeper

Correct.
  11. Vouivre Augur

You won't get arguments from me if that's what you want. I've always said if they ever do it they should take absolutely everything that was put in after the the last expansion (Velious) out and put all the things people hated for the most part back in. I've always hated when people want all the convenience of the new on the Classic server. They should get as close as possible, open it up and then never ever touch it again.
  12. Rainbowdash Augur

Pets dying when you zone. when you invis. taking 70% xp if you don't outdps them (which at the time, to do as a mage, ment tanking which meant dying and losing more xp than you'd gain out dpsing him) and not even having the common courtesy to level up off that stolen xp and make the kills go faster.

No thanks. There's plenty I'd like about the old days to be returned. I'd even like the running (made the world feel larger). I even liked the old UI But the way pets worked? No mounts? Hell levels? No... I'm glad those changed.

Speaking of old UI though, anyone good with .xml and UI modding? =X Been trying to find a retexture of the modern UI using old UI design... like <this>. No luck though :( newest attempt was that one in 2008 =/. So I'm using this Luclin UI instead lol. Had a sudden craving for that nostalgic effect without shooting myself in the foot and losing a single ounce of modern features =.=
  13. SALTDOG Lorekeeper

Then we are in complete agreement.
  14. Vouivre Augur

Maybe even go back to pets getting aggro just by proximity like players do. No soul binders. No new models. No tradeskill interface. No vet rewards.
  15. SALTDOG Lorekeeper

Now you're getting it. ;)
  16. SALTDOG Lorekeeper

Don't forget about translocators, /melody, breeze, lack of corpse runs, etc
  17. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

So if I come to your house and demand my "share" of your wife / girlfriend / sister / mother then your gtg with that? I mean if everything is supposed to be shared ... I am just saying.

Classic is an undefinable server. Anyone trying to advance a theory that XYZ is more "Classic" then ZYX is arguing a fools folly.

Either way this thread has digressed WAY beyond the OP's first post and should have been closed 4 pages ago.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Vouivre like this.
  18. EverChanter Augur

Sure, but then you'll need to share in the bills and food! Sharing is caring, don't ya think? If the thread should have been closed why did you come post, just saying.
  19. Soriano Augur

Want to be truly accurate Breeze is not a big deal, because back then clarity/clarityII/KEI would land on a level one...
  20. Shillingworth Augur

Reverse engineering is not a flat out illegal activity like most of you seem to think. Any of you people claiming the DMCA protect against reverse engineering should really read that damn act first because it spells out exactly what scenarios reverse engineering is legal for.

It is legal to reverse engineer software to achieve interoperability with other software. This is exactly what emulation is, interop between the original software (EverQuest) and the other software ().

Furthermore the only client side data that is altered is a configuration file: eqhost.txt. Changing the contents of that file is every bit as legal as changing the contents of the ini files.

I'm no legal expert, these are just my interpretations of the DMCA and how it handles reverse engineering. I advise every last one of you to stop being morons saying "DMCA duh" and actually read the damn thing or call one of the many free over the phone legal advice vendors to ask for their interpretation.
    Tobynn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.