Devs: Please Help Monks Out

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Samtan, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ishtass Augur

Haha, I agree with you guys, and I do appreciate the changes we got. I have no room to complain about our current standing since the latest release. But ever since around maybe 2004, I've never seen a guild recruitment section list monk openings anything higher than "low". Maybe my sample of 12 or so guilds wasn't a good enough selection. It seemed like a hell of a dry streak, certainly not something that one expansion breaking one ability caused. But, I raided off and on during that time frame, my memory isn't perfect. But I never got into a guild based solely on them wanting a monk (usually it was closed, but through friends/past history I could get a spot anyway).
  2. Recnarp Augur

Your class is on cocaine now. Amazing how 1 patch can almost double your dps.
  3. Ronthorn Oakenarm Augur

Quiet they may start Selling it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mustangvern likes this.
  4. Nedrom Augur

Monks have been stagnated for YEARS... It's nice for our class to finally get some attention and upgrades, even if you are not max level or a raider.
    Insaneox, Zzlaarr and Kelefane like this.
  5. Thrillho Augur

We can still be put down by other classes. We're just now a viable option for a raiding team. As for the 200% change in DPS - of course it seems like a large increase, it's because we were so low before. Apply the same increase to a top parser (pre-SoF) and it would be a 120-140% increase for them.

I used the same reasoning behind getting a raise at work once. "You want a 150% increase?" "No, I want $X increase. It just happens to be 150% because you're paying me ."
  6. Sorox New Member

From the parses on monkly-business, "burst of power" AA resulted in 30 dps increase? That can't be working correctly...

Two-hander parses are absolutely horrible for monks, the minimum damage is far too low and not scaling. I have RoF raid 2Her, and it parses about 2/3s the DPS of my H2H combo. With ZanFi+DM+FoF, ~925 min damage from H2H primary (110 dmg/18 delay) vs ~1250 min damage from 2Her (286 dmg/33 delay). With proper scaling, the 2Her should be hitting 2400 minimum... Certainly, the 2Her defensive AAs are really nice but if the DPS suffers this much, under what conditions would I use a 2Her? Tanking 5+ at once?!

Also, who can enable my SoroxDrinal monkly-business account for posting?
  7. Rasputyn Elder

Send Nedrom a PM, he can set you up.
  8. Nedrom Augur

I just approved your account, please check your email.
  9. Daedly Augur

The increase in DPS from your new 2hb AA is likely working as intended. They seem to be switching to flat unmoddable damage increases, which as you probably know, means very little DPS. I had asked if increases that yield that low of DPS was on purpose. The response I received was something along the lines that increases are meant to be small. I replied saying, that makes sense when using damage that is able to be focused, but with what appears to be a switch to flat damage increases, the old way of small increases needs to be re-evaluated. I did not receive any response on the subject though.
  10. Sorox New Member

As a former developer, I wish I had access to the EQ source. The mathematical model for weapons and melee scaling is broken... You can no longer use damage/delay ratios as a judge of DPS performance.

I parsed 110/18 H2H (VoA T3) + shield in offhand slightly below 2H 286/33 (RoF T1). That's nuts...

If primary hits 3x, offhand hits 2x every 18 delay, I'm doing about 9-10 hits in the same time a 2Her can do 3 hits. That's about a 3:1 ratio.

All 2H bonuses should be 3x their 1H counterparts. Drunken Monkey should be giving 3x the bonus on 2H over 1H, not 2x. Same for Zan Fi. With 10 damage 1H augments, a 16 damage 2H augment is way too low. There should be 30 damage 2H augs out there.

Riposte DPS does not make up for the superior H2H DPS unless you go back to pulling massive Fort Mech trains.

And please fix "burst of power" AA line.
    Nedrom likes this.
  11. Rasputyn Elder

Just ignore 2h weapons if you're a monk. What you've said is correct(2h is terrible for us) but none of us really want them to spend time trying to correct 2h damage when we have more useful things to get fixed.
  12. Nedrom Augur

going from rank 0 to rank 20 at the total cost of 181 AA only results in the gain of 30 DPS. I hope this bug gets fixed!
  13. Kelefane Augur

2H is really only good for whirlwind fun.
  14. Tearsin Rain Augur

"diminishing returns" is not the same as a "bug"

BoP does so little because monks are already near the hard cap limit for triple attack fire rates even without it, and adding more skill points doesn't really do much of anything.
  15. Ishtass Augur

not really diminishing returns, it's a constant precedence of little to no return for a lot of AA.
  16. Kokkusho Journeyman

I didn't read this whole thread, but maybe it would help raids wanting a monk if we were needed to pull, like in the old days.
  17. Thrillho Augur

Most raids today don't require much pulling. The only one that's current which does is NToV, and it's just trash pulling. There's barely any trash requiring a split - you can practically train your raid. It's nice when a monk gets to pull it, just for another nostalgiac feel, but it can be pulled by anyone - I was in a raid where a shaman was pulling it.

Even if there were mechanics requiring a split, it would probably fall to an SK to do it. With their durability, HA + fade, they've become the go-to for a lot of pulls, unfortunately.

And now that I think of it, EW requires a bit of pulling too. But it's more along the lines of "go stand there and let them aggro" than actual pulling. No pulling mechanics required.
  18. Ishtass Augur

Caster mobs is where we shine, moving mountains can make difficult caster splits a breeze.
  19. Nedrom Augur

Monks got a lot of help with the release of SoF, so this thread is pretty much dated right now.
  20. Thrillho Augur

MM makes anything easy to split. Tag a mob you want. If it has a friend that tags along, MM the mob you want, ID, get up and tag it again without the friend nearby to help. Or if you don't want to waste the ID, use FD and have your group (or raid) can tag the MMed mob while the other runs back.