Devs: Please Help Monks Out

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Samtan, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Zzlaarr Elder

I'd completely agree with you if not for the fact that since IRC chat 4 months have passed (IRC chat was on Dec. 17th 2012 if you remember) with no real update.
    If not for sojuu taking up the ball and asking for a life sign in February via PM we'd haven't had heard anything at all. Clearly we are not a priority.

Besides that, I am realist and don't expect any "fix" before SoF launch either and after launch they'll be busy fixing the new bugs and work on the next expansion...
  2. Brogett Augur

Maybe dominate is too strong, but I don't see our pure melee matching casters except the mages. Maybe it depends on the definition of sustained. Generally we have low dps in guild (ie a lot of slack), so the well played high dps people are still doing so in a sustained dps environment.

My point though is that the top caster burn class is generally ahead of all melee chars, which in times gone by were more sustained oriented. (I think it was a mistake IMO to make pure melee more burn oriented, but that's water under the bridge I guess.)

I took a look at our recent Velishan and Dagarn fights - two nice easy "extended burn" events - and the order was generally necro, necro, wiz, with then a bun fight for rog, ber, mag, mnk behind that. Some class orders (ususally 2x nec first, but only listing top of each class as order lower down is more typically gear/group setup dependent than what the class can cope with):

nec, wiz, rog, mag, mnk
    nec, wiz, mnk, rog, rng
    nec, wiz, rog, mnk, ber
    nec, wiz, mnk, ber, rog
    nec, wiz, mnk, rog, bst
    nec, wiz, rog, ber, mag
    (nec oor of parse), wiz, rog, mnk, ber

I'll agree the melee are closer to the wiz than they are to the necros, but the pattern is clear. I don't think I slouch, although syncing with support isn't always optimal. I'm typicall 35-45k dps on 6-7 min fights as a rog, dropping to below 30k if it drags on longer.

Looking at these typical orderings again though it's clear a well played monk isn't massively behind other pure melee on sustained, but their burst is in bad shape and the disc reuse timers don't help them there either.
  3. Zzlaarr Elder

Thank you for the reply, Eli. I really do hope you will not be shocked! :D ;)
  4. Tanecho Augur

Thanks, Eli. I look forward to seeing what you guys have come up with for us.
  5. Izcurly Augur

Even if it seems like 4 months to you, actually Dec 17th, 2012 was only 3 months ago.

But then monks aren't known for their math skills.
  6. sojuu Augur

Thank you for the update that helps ease the frustration at least iv been feeling towards the monk class ALOT. Thank you again
  7. Samtan Lorekeeper

Can u elaborate a little bit on this? Are Monks getting more on the DPS front?
  8. Maereax Augur

Don't tease us, Eli!
  9. Aggememnon Elder

I'm very excited to see what you have in store Eli! And very pleased to see that some of this will roll our in RoF and has not been held up with out more 'pressing' matters ... thanks for the update!
  10. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

i have been saying this for a while now. Some people without 2 brain cells respond with "Monk_1 does more dps than Rogue_1" guess its hard to realize that monk_1 is a pro while rogue_1 is not.

Monks since pulling was removed from the raiding scene bring nothing to a raid but subpar dps compared to other options who also bring additional utility. They basically hope and pray for an event where being able to lay on the ground FD the whole event is necessary and thus they feel useful.

Chanters are in a similar position.

currently the ideal melee dps group is

bard
    shm
    bst
    zerk
    ranger
    _____ random melee aka a rogue or a monk.. and atm there is just no reason to pick the monk unless you don't have any good rogues and have pro monks.

@ Maereax while your right if your doing 108k vs 120k someone would take a monk.. But that doesn't make someone WANT a monk.
    Really I don't think monks should just get a pure dps boost but should get some group buff (as some have suggested) to make them uniquely useful to the dps group itself moreso than just saying "well they get this awesome ability that makes the boss take 30% more dmg.. so we want one but we will put him in a caster group and let him rot after he applies his debuff.

Getting a non burn aura would be a nice solution IMO(ie a relatively small boost 5k boost for each of the 4 melee dps in the group)that doesn't stack with burn discs. Aka a sustained dps increase not a burn.

Just an outside opinion from someone who would like to see his monk friends get some love in the raid desirability dept
  11. Nedrom Augur

I welcome the changes!
  12. Rtugok Developer

Not huge, but I just changed Techniques of Master Wu so that the extra attacks are the same as the special that triggered it. IE: If you Flying Kick and proc Master Wu your bonus attacks will also be Flying Kicks.
    Qulas, Nedrom and Obiziana like this.
  13. Obiziana Augur

May not be huge but it will be noticeable. It's kind of funny when we can kick for say 1700 then Wu's procs two strikes for 35 and 41.

Thanks for the monkey love Rtugok!!!
    Rtugok likes this.
  14. Tanecho Augur

That will be a welcome change, especially during our heel line of disciplines.
  15. Rtugok Developer

Going to take this a little bit further, and after each successful hit check for another hit at a 4 times reduced rate than the previous hit. In theory you could get a string of 5 if you win the lottery, but more commonly you will see 3 at ~25% rate and 4 at ~1% rate.
    Qulas and Daedly like this.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

Maybe not the right thread for this, but how similar are the Monk special attacks in damage?

I've always just spammed Flying Kick, although I have to say Round Kick looks the coolest.
  17. Gladare Augur

Anyone else thinking about Ryu and Ken?
    Obiziana likes this.
  18. Tanecho Augur

I'm not certain, but at current levels, isn't the chance for our 3rd attack nearly 100% currently with maxed technique of master wu AA? First 5 ranks were 20% chance of 2nd attack and unknown value for 3rd, and every rank after that was 5% increased chance of the 3rd attack. We have 20 ranks total.

Perhaps start at (current rank x 20%) chance for first attack, decreasing by 4 times reduced rate thereafter? Making max rank 400% chance of 2nd (always happens), 100% chance of 3rd (always happens), then 25% on 4th and 6.25% on 5th?
  19. Tanecho Augur

Flying kick does at least 4x more damage than the other specials for a max level/AA monk, with a greatly higher minimum. Flying kick always does the most damage though. I will agree, round kick is probably the coolest animation we have.
  20. Obiziana Augur

You know it!