Current XP Rates

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Balorf, Apr 3, 2016.

1. yerm Augur

It's really unfortunate. I would like them to slightly increase the XP rate. I am stuck coming to a thread hoping to argue it and finding people on "my side" using awkwardly faulty math. 2 hours a night at 9 hours per level = takes over a week... you can't explain that!

More than anything I'd like latecomers to be able to catch up. The current drag of getting to 60 can work because it's current. When PoP comes out it shouldn't be so terrible for some latecomer to catch up. Ideally 1-49 would currently be faster than it was, and 50-59 will be sped up either with AAs or with the cap raised, and this will hopefully continue. They've added something like this to AA gain so it's not a far-fetched idea.

Unlike many other MMOs, early-lifespan EQ is not built around needing to be at level cap. If your life constraints mean that you can only put in an hour or two a night, that's fine, but not for raiding... so why balance the current-raid-appropriate level experience around a "norm" that can't feasibly commit to raiding? Instead, if the XP is so rapid that this player demolishes the curve and hits the cap quickly, the onset of ever-increasing demands for consistent playtime will set in and actually make things worse. At least you can log in for an hour and a half and get xp - trying to log in for only brief periods and do things like key camps or waiting for a prized camp? Not gonna end well.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  2. Risiko Augur

You're right. I was thinking 75%.

At any rate, that's 8 hours per level post level 50.
  3. Dyzalot Augur

So because one part of the experience isn't identical to classic, none of it should be? Seems logical..
  4. Trevalon Augur

That's exactly right. You claimed that people asked for Phinigel because they wanted a classic feeling server - and you justify the low exp rates by saying that because it has slow exp it is the classic feels server.

At the same time you completely gloss over all the things that make Phinigel the single most non-classic server in EQ's history. There has never been a server further from Classic EQ than Phinigel, so the argument you used, again which was that people begged for a classic feeling server and that server was Phinigel, holds absolutely no weight.

There are more ways that Phinigel is less like classic (Instancing, Pick Zones, changing of quests to be easier, etc...) than there are things LIKE classic - so in that case the argument for faster exp makes even more sense against your argument against it because there is more about Phinny that is non-classic than any other server.

Frankly, it makes more sense to argue that Phinny is the most progressive server ever released in EQ and the EXP should be faster than Live than to say that Phinny is the "Classic feels" server that should have super slow exp. Nothing about Phinny is "Classic" ...including the current exp rate (which is still way to slow and needs increased significantly).
  5. Healiez Augur

Im twinked, but no powerlevel.

Rogue/ranger duo
  6. Turinbar Augur

With no xp bonus and no Potion, it takes a well geared fast killing group to get 10 percent xp every 20 min or so. If you don't have the ideal comp, it can take much longer. 1 level every 6 hours isn't uncommon after lvl 52
  7. Turinbar Augur

lol this xp isn't defensible, please stop whiteknighting DBG. XP is terrible please fix.
  8. Healiez Augur

Im still curious and none of the EXP IS TO SLOWZ evangelists have yet to answer what they fell an appropriate rate of exp is. Break it down for us, how fast SHOULD you be able to level. how many minutes/hours should each level take?
  9. Rhiyannon Augur

there's too many variables to give an exact number. do you have a perfect camp/group? less than ideal? what you can scrape together? i cannot play for more than a few hours straight without pain starting to get too much. i know i'm fairly unique as for my reasons for wanting faster xp, but others are valid with their time constraits as well. my hubby doesn't play every single night, he opens his garage by 7 am and closes it at or after 5 pm, by the time he's done for the day he's exhausted. not everyone is in their 20's anymore and can play half the night and get up and go to work in the morning fresh again.
  10. Korillo Augur

Every post I've seen is them asking to make the xp rate on phinny the same as it is on Ragefire/Lockjaw, so I imagine that is how fast they feel it should be.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  11. Dyzalot Augur

If people wanted a classic feel then they should be complaining about no corpse runs, too fast XP and all the other stuff you mentioned. They shouldn't be complaining the XP is too slow because it is the one part of the server experience that is closest to classic.
  12. Trevalon Augur

And that is the whole point. No one asked for a "classic experience" with phinigel. We asked for RF/LJ with Instances and less boxes...find a post where someone argued for instanced/restricted boxing AND for slower exp...I can wait.

They very much delivered on Instancing and less boxing, but for monetary reasons they changed the exp rate, they had their fun they got their pot money and we are now halfway done with Kunark, time to up the experience to match RF/LJ. If they do taht most everyone would be happy. People would still buy pots (I bought pots on LJ) but the exp rate wouldn't be punitive and might actually be somewhat enjoyable. Right now its just mind numbing.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  13. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

That's for sure. At this point I won't level alts or my box because it's just so pain. Is it doable? Yes. Is it enjoyable grinding forever? Not at all.
    GeneticsMonster likes this.
  14. Dyzalot Augur

LOL @ it being "punitive". I wish XP were slower myself. I've played about 50 hours and am already level 27 which seems insanely fast to me. My skills don't even keep up with my level.
  15. Trevalon Augur

-----> project1999.com is at that link. It is perfectly legal to play over there and provides you with that classic experience you yearn for, and with Velious only 1.5 months away you are not "missing out" on any content. Now leave us who don't live in 1999 alone with our instanced, limited boxing, easier questing, welfare server and let us have our fast exp to go along with all those carebear features I already listed.
  16. Dyzalot Augur

Nothing "classic" about rogues being able to solo because they can exploit server lag or people being banned because the devs don't like them.
  17. Captiin New Member

I'm not sure what the big rush is to 60, 50+ is easy enough to hit and you can do pretty much everything at that point. I've somehow managed to level 2 characters to 60 (one with epic and the other very close), farm 30 kronos and that with only playing Sundays and then 2 evenings during the work week. Plus there is still 2 months to Velious, looks like I get to farm a lot more krono.

Do people think the game should be tailored to their 1 hour a night play style? Maybe you should work out a different routine with the wife/kids? Are people trying to level all of the classes to 60 like this is WoW?

Maybe its time to find another game that fits your available play hours.
  18. Tizim New Member

Here is opinion of the current xp rates not that many will care. Solo and duo xp isnt rewarding. As a Nec with a Shm friend we are pulling non-stop whites, yellow and reds in the Dreadlands until out of mana. We are lucky to see 1% xp a kill, usually takes 3 kills for 2 percent. It just isn't rewarding to leave CoM, Lower Guk and Sebilis. There is no reason to go to any other zone to gain xp. So why bother even having mobs in any zone besides the ones in ZEM zones. I am for one tired of going to the required zones to get an xp group. No one wants to break from the trend. All you see in LFG is people in the listed zones with a comment stating LGuk and CoM only.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  19. Balorf Journeyman

Well, I've given up. Xp rate is too slow to try and keep up with the 3 month expansion window and with the difficulty of finding groups/complete crap solo xp I don't see a reason to continue trying. Good luck out there, hope to play with you guys when DBG sells the IP and someone else makes EQ Next.
  20. Obsessed Journeyman

Those that want to raid are already 60. With 6 months of Kunark/Velious those that don't want to raid have plenty of time to catch up.

The exp per mob and xp caps per mob were low on Fippy until SoL (a few weeks in). This enabled casuals to catch up and start doing AA and also allowed those fights that were balanced around AA to be completed by the hard core guilds.

There is no reason to raise exp rates until mid SoL, then it should be raised in preparation for the level cap increase for PoP.