Current XP Rates

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Balorf, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Rhiyannon Augur

I've stopped playing more than a couple of hours a day and none the last few since I blew out my elbow and shoulder again(but I did prove the new truck being built needs to come with steps for my 5' height), I just cannot do it right now with torn out elbow tendons and perma dislocated shoulder. I'm the proactive type, I try and form groups, I don't care as much what your class is the group can adapt as long as you're of level (depending on the zone of course, or move zones to suit the group better if I cannot find some form of CC). even with that, I'm constantly told by people with LFG on "yeah get back to me when you have the group together or such and such classes, I'm going to watch a movie or whatever till then". hence me hating pugs, it's worse than wrangling cats, I get more exp duoing with a friend or soloing which is what I'm usually doing while trying to form a group. I'm frankly tired of the slow xp, it's not fun.
  2. Rhodz Augur

Yeah my wife is five foot nothing... I need to add steps to the pickup like tomorrow.
    Good luck with the healing if you run on FV may see you around.
  3. Dyzalot Augur

I find it pretty funny that the nostalgia for a classic EQ experience is what fuels the push for progression servers and then when people face not even half of the adversity that we faced back then they complain that the experience is too difficult and driving players away. I started a rogue on Saturday and he is already level 15. I think originally it took me a month to get to that level. The experience rate here is fine.
  4. Rhodz Augur

Please point us to your post asking for reduced xp before Phinny launched ... still looking for one.
    Otherwise ...
  5. Dyzalot Augur

What does my posting history have to do with anything? I reactivated my account and paid for all access specifically to play on Phinny.
  6. Galt New Member

I can see myself reaching the level cap eventually in the few hours I get to play during the week. What I can't see me doing is defending the awful rate of xp gain just because I've done it and don't want others to have an easier time of it. In my case it was the true box and instanced zones that drew me to Phinigel. Not an awful grind. I'm tolerating it because it's simply the price of playing with the rule set I like most. You can expect me not to participate in any of the content I've outleveled when I would otherwise be willing to make alts and do it over and over.

I'm also not exactly thrilled about being funneled into one dungeon after another to mitigate the grindiness with the ZEM.
  7. Kiris Journeyman

I don't know. Maybe you are putting them together a little too haphazardly? It can be a bit of luck, but there's also a skill of timing what you see in LFG and talking people into the group. Of course, you can also always follow with the "Hey wanna try to form up our own -- if something else comes up and we got nothing you can join their group" type of low commitment invite.

I found during bonus exp that grouping became much better once I hit Sebilis level also. There's just too many B or even C class players in CoM. As you group in Sebilis you'll get a chance to meet many more GOOD players (sure not everyone -- but more often than not I meet people who leave a good impression). CoM should be dubbed Unrest 2.0

Also this goes with pretty much any RPG (and non-gaming things in life) -- if you can re-arrange your schedule to grind 5-6 hours one day vs 2-3 hours twice a week you will likely get better results. I don't know your life so no idea if it's possible, but it's something to think about.
  8. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

I'm not sure why anyone in this day and age still thinks you can hop in the game for 2 hours and expect good results. The game has been out for 17 years now, you NEVER could get anything done in a 2 hour window, that's why they introduced mercs.
  9. Risiko Augur

I'm going to guess that most people think that in 17 years a lot of things can change.

As much as some people like to pretend they enjoy it (those being the ones that are max level already usually), I honestly don't know any of my friends that ever was nostalgia for the grind. Not one single one. What everyone I knew was nostalgia for was the original game play, revisiting old dungeons, split pulling, crowd control mattering, and awesome loot that dropped off of named mobs RATHER than handed to you back in town at a prize booth ala the modern MMO design.

I seriously in 17 years never once heard someone say to me, "Man I just can't stand the fact that my experience bar moves so fast in modern mmorpgs. I really wish it would take me at least 4 hours to get part of a level."
    Rhodz likes this.
  10. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

Quit pretending fast EXP could not be a problem. If you created a character and had to kill 10 mobs per level all the way to 60, that would be leveling too fast, and people would stop playing over it. That might be an hyperbole, sure, but the only argument I see in this thread is: "Exp can't be so fast that people will quit over it, huehuehue!". That is just not true, there is such as thing as too fast exp.
  11. Rhiyannon Augur

you did read why i shortened my playtime? seriously... sure i have plenty of time since i am waiting on surgery to repair torn tendons that limit the use of my dominant arm, but being able to sit at the computer for more than a couple of hours, is a physical limitation in my case. i have good days and bad, some days i can play longer, especially if i have a static camp where all i do is stand there. with a static camp i can play one-handed and avoid needing to use the other as much. my toon is bound at seb, has been for over 2 weeks. as i said, this is my personal experience and why i strongly dislike the slow xp. other people have limitations due to other factors like family etc, things that might be able to be rearranged, but damn at least read what you're quoting. smh.

umm because for some that's all the time they have, family, work, whatever things have taken over that free time and limit the playtime 17 years later. some have more time than others, it's life, so basically they should cancel their subs and stop supporting the company? what the min time they should have daily set aside for the game? 5 hours? if you have less than 5 hours a day/night to dedicate in continious time just quit now?
  12. Dyzalot Augur

I came back for a TLP server one other time, Fippy. I got to 50 so fast that I got bored quickly and quit shortly after. I'm hoping this time is different and the slower XP certainly helps. It also may help that I won't be stuck on vanilla for several months. I also disagree that you can't get anything done in 2 hours of playtime. Even as a rogue I've been able to get groups in 30 minutes or less so far. Maybe that will change as I level but right now I can get on for 2 hours and accomplish something if that is all of the time I have to play.
  13. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

Yes, this is kind of what i'm saying. The game always has been very time consuming, I don't see why it should change now. Either you embrace the fact that you'll get very little done in your 2 hour sessions or you don't play, it's pretty simple. I'm not trying to say this in a condescending way even if it sounds like it. But if this is not your first time playing EQ you should have known the time commitment it required.
  14. Rhiyannon Augur

when i login, i want to play, i'm not one of those parking my toon in one spot for hours with lfg on...

while i'm trying to get a group going i'm either camping something for a need or i'm grinding whatever i can solo/duo. i put my time in, that's the part you seem to be missing, not just sitting there waiting passively for a group. it's one thing to camp something, it's another to exp grind. it's the exp grind where the slow exp hurts. more than 2 hours actively for me, moving around, yeah time to pop more pain meds depending on the day. i've done the long camps, gotten things like my totemic helm(took a full 24 hours with 2 ph respawns just as an example), i know certain aspects are time consuming. exp grinding with pugs when people only want that perfect group just plain sucks. so i'm not wasting that 2 hours i can play, i'm actively doing something even getting lousy barely moving the bar xp.
  15. Rhodz Augur

Stupidtas ad nauseam
  16. Trevalon Augur

Funny you say that, on RF/LJ I could get on for 2 hours and definitely feel like I accomplished something, in fact many times I logged onto LJ and exped for a couple hours and was able to gain at least one and depending on the level, sometimes multiple levels...So, your whole "Its never been like that" is kinda BS cause there are current TLP servers where it is kinda like that...

The simple fact is no one asked for or wanted EXP to be less than RF/LJ, as evidence by it being a complete surprise at launch, it was a stupid decision by DBG to do it and its time to bump Phinny to those servers levels and come Luclin it should be bumped to live levels (Like it was on Vulak/Fippy).
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  17. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

I really never did understand why things like XP rates didn't vary between servers. Pretty much anything that doesn't require additional coding and that tweaks the 'difficulty' of the game, or the 'hardcore'-ness of it, or the degree to which it can be enjoyed by casuals vs. raiders -- this stuff is all ripe for varying across servers.

Easy server for casual players, so they can level up and gear up fast and enjoy occasional social play. Hardcore server for hardcore players, so they can wave their e-wangs at each other. Stuff in between for people who feel it takes all kinds.

Using varying xpac release rates to achieve the same results is just dumb because it ensures the servers can't easily be merged, something that, historically, all servers eventually need to do.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  18. Rhodz Augur

The point is for those lacking understanding is no one ever asked for it.
    How on earth does one miss that.

The xp on RF/LJ was fine apparently as there was no posts from anyone on the matter so where did it come from given DB has yet to offer one single valid reason. But then most of the old timers knew from the start what was up and why, I just aint inviting a forum ban by saying it again.
  19. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

I was unaware that DBG needed your permission to temper with exp rates.
  20. Dyzalot Augur

People did ask for an experience with EQ like they had when they first played though I assume. Part of that was the slow leveling. Heck, this isn't even close to how slow it was back then and people still complain.