Constant Client Crash as Server Select

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by faya, May 16, 2018.

1. Suncletom New Member

2. Goner New Member

I'm getting the same issue as Deni. I was able to get in right after the patch, and since then something has happened. First, I did the file check, then I replace all my UI files with the downloaded ones, then I did a fresh install, and I tried a bunch of different video modes and resolutions. Nothing. Still no word from daybreak if they even know this is happening, or if it's still somehow my files or settings at fault, or if it's some hotfix gone awry.
  3. Numzan Augur

I petitioned GM.
    Just did it on exit of windows 10, not sure why yet. Usually 4 times you have to log in on windows 7.

They want us to delete a few files, but backup first. I doubt it is anything we have done.. Too many of us with the same issues. Already canceled sub on 2 accounts.
  4. -Denizzen- Lorekeeper

Could you please share which files they asked you to delete? I'm afraid the needle is shoved far to deeply into my arm for me to quit :p
  5. SpaceCowboy New Member

Having the same crashing client at server select issue. Has this been acknowledged yet ? I haven't seen any red text or notifications about it. /sigh
  6. Burt New Member

Have a fix... I think. If you have wineq/EQplaynice software running (even in the background while running EQ from the launcher) this will cause the crash issue. Something in the recent patch seems to not work well with EQPlayNice... its unfortunate since personally I get performance benefits from running it but for now if you disable/close out of this software and run EQ just through the launcher then it *SHOULD* work again.
  7. SpaceCowboy New Member

Just was coming here to report this as I've experienced the same results after testing things but seems all the servers are back down again anyways.
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

The game is NOT broken - it works mighty fine for me (both client and server).
    You might take the example of the first guy to answer this thread perhaps.

And generally spoken you might want to post at least some info that would help to reproduce the issue, since it is obviously not happening to everyone, it must have to do with YOUR system and some dependencies perhaps.
    So, in order to "have them fix their crap", the least you can do is to provide useful information.
    You know, like OS, driver versions and so on - there is, i think a summary from a DirectX command that might give some relevant info...

And when you come home, you might want to try a workaround before you rage-cancel subs - but that's ofc totally up to you. i don't think i'd miss you much if you were in-game as in this thread.
    faya likes this.
  9. faya Lorekeeper

Lol, i have another laptop here running the same configuration and its fine, whatever was due to a backend change with a sporadic user impact.

That said, it's now 100% working and i've changed nothing locally. So while i agree with some of your comments overall, provided i was actually engaging support, it would be a different story. Posting breaks on a forum that i know aren't due to my machine, things that are impacting other people... the issue isn't on my side.

@Devs, didn't like the break obviously but it's super early pacific time, somebody is working early... thank you for the efforts.
  10. Numzan Augur

Will check this out now and confirm it. It almost happens 99.9 % of the time with the 1% chance it actually works. Something they did 2 patches ago with vista support effected some of the windows 7 machine files or whatever. Windows 10 no big issue atm.
  11. Numzan Augur

Same issue, will work on the selected files and determine what it is.
  12. theschwasound New Member

Still happening to me. Tried toggling windowed mode and nothing, just crashes after I select a server. Can ya'll post what files you deleted?

Edit: I am on windows 7
  13. Numzan Augur

14. Kolane New Member

Having the same issue... tried Numzan suggestion and it did NOT work for me.
  15. Tininea New Member

Ok, getting rather annoyed now, i have been able to log in once since the patch last week, every other time i have tried, i crash after i select my Server ( Agnarr).
    I know that the devs posted that the issue was with {unmentioned 3rd party software}, and that it was at fault, but i am pretty sure that they are wrong. I do not use the {unmentioned 3rd party software} and it is not installed on my machine, i had a hunch that it might be related to other software that added an overlay to EQ ( MSI afterburner), but having closed and removed those programs, and still i crash after the server select screen.

So far tonight i have tried 8 times to log in and crashed every time, i am beginning to get really frustrated, not from the inability to log in, that is something that happens and you grow to expect it, no, i am frustrated with the lack of response or feedback from the devs, and their failure to acknowledge that there is something more serious wrong for a number of players (paying and non paying alike)
    Thinn Lizzy likes this.
  16. Thinn Lizzy New Member

Just wanted to say I feel the same. I am still having issues and being talked to as if it must be on my end, when no other program or game is being affected is frustrating. Just because some aren't experiencing it, doesn't mean it is not happening.
  17. WILC4T New Member

I am still having this same issue. I am not running any 3rd party software. Crashes after selecting Agnarr server. This is frustrating, I am paying for an account that I can not use. I was able to log on using this computer after the last patch for 1 day. I believe I did have a windows update and that is when it stopped working. Using windows 10. All drivers are up to date. Please help
  18. Numzan Augur

Working on it now.

First test all INI files except the Key Launcher INI files.

So far so good, restored what i needed for the IP protocols back into the folder.
  19. Numzan Augur

3-4 times tested logging in and out of the server.
    Restored the Character ini and UI files back to the directory, reloaded them.
    Appears to be loading into the character selection screen.
    Monitor screen res, set the same as character in game ini such as 1600x1024 res.
    re ran engine for old to new characters.

Seems to be loading in fine with reloading UI and or Character ini layouts of old.

*New bug, and noticed it with Windows 10 It now hangs in the background the game* you have to ctrl del end task the other way.

Launcher.exe ran first.

Now to work on the everquest.exe file. Validating files check.

All files are fine....

Loading into the game a few times with it instead of the launcher.exe.
  20. Numzan Augur

Everquest.exe just locks up......

re running launcher.exe again.... checking settings in that.
    removed all log files, for new checks.

Now logs into the character screen by using the Launcher.exe itself.
    camping again to see if it crashs, and doesnt exit but blank screen on Quit...

Same issue on exit, blank screen like the login issue.

Ill work on all the launcher files, and dlls after.