Ancient Cloak of Flames (raid item) off Death Beetle

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kelefane, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Kelefane Augur

This just goes to show and prove that the times have changed, and how old antiquated ways of thinking regarding this game do not work in today's EQ. The entire social dynamic of this game has changed. What used to work regarding these ideas and things, do not work so well today due to these reasons. The devs do not seem to grasp that fact.
  2. Kurayami Augur

Could work, but I prefer the idea of any kind so you don't have to be at a special camp to finish. Doubt it is happening anyways, back to seeing lava duct crawlers and lava beetles whenever I close my eyes for me(I wish I was joking, my hands are doing hotkey motions at work and everything)!
  3. MrGPAC Augur

That would be freaking awesome for me...I'd probably end up spending more time there knowing I was on my way to a reward, and once I got it, knowing the people I'm grouping with are on their way to a reward...

Maybe they could do something like:

1,000 mobs + "Hunter" of the zone = guaranteed No Drop version of the cloak.

Current one exists as is, maybe at an even lower drop rate.

People would be all over that. People would group like mad to take on some of the harder named too to get the Hunter achievement...would be awesome.

They can leave it as is too...I'm not complaining about the possibility of having this awesome item...I just think this implementation would be freaking amazing.

~MrGPAC
  4. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

People will work together when it is beneficial to them, that has always been the case. Even back in the day when I was level 16 and camping Pyzjn in Qeynos Hills for my GBS I didn't invite other people to come group with me because I didn't need them to hold the camp and didn't want that competition for the drop. There hasn't been a time in EQ's history where people would routinely work together if it was more detrimental than simply hunting alone, and these new zones are no exception.

The fact is that for most of the people moloing around SolB there's absolutely no way that adding a second or third person would double/triple their kill rate, especially with how much competition there is for mobs in the first place. The prospect of having to kill 3,000+ trash mobs instead of 1,000+ trash mobs so a three-man group can all get cloaks is a daunting one.
  5. McDougal Augur

Yep. Makes me smile . :)
  6. Kimosavi Journeyman

Took me about 18hrs all told to get my one. Well worth it, sure its frustrating but no risk, no reward. Only thing I could think to make it fairer for peeps is make them NO DROP so the plat farmers can find someplace else to accrue wealth. Same goes for the MM ring
  7. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

People say this, but I guarantee you if they weren't tradable there'd be just as many people calling for them to be make attunable because "At least then those of us who are unlucky can buy one from someone else".

Letting them be traded is a way to allow everyone who really wants one to get one, regardless of luck.
  8. krozman Augur

Better yet, keep the tradable version rare as hell but make the quest of 100+ kills of each type a no drop version, or the worse (raid) version.
  9. Brosa Augur

Don't know what its like on other servers but I'm sure its the same as Luclin. Regularly 40-50+ people pulling from everywhere, through and over others. I have managed to kill 751 mobs so far and havn't seen a single cloak. Luck has a lot to do with getting it. Some claim to have gotten a total of 8 for mains and alts. To bad I have a job and responsibilities.
  10. Laronk Augur

I know, I should just work a couple hours OT at work eh! well its going to be droppable on my server either way so really what ever =p thats more why I want something instanced, stuff like this makes the community toxic. I even considered not rezing someone that died earlier so I would have more mobs to kill.
  11. Laronk Augur

Ahh creating good memories like soandso stole mobs from my camp or soandso looted corpses while i was busy fighting a mob or busy dying did that F get a cape off my mob? Soandso from my guild sat there with his mercs and wouldnt let me join his group, i'm a insertclasshere and can't molo these mobs.

Luckily I box and I also have two brothers who play this game, I don't have to deal with some of that junk.

The kill x mobs is a great suggestion too or maybe an achievement that is kill x mobs + the collection ones.
    Xeladom and Kelefane like this.
  12. Kelefane Augur

LOL, uhhhh yeah. If by memories, you mean griefing, then ok. The second I get my cloak, im out of there forever. Its the wild wild west and an all out zoo-fest.
  13. savrin Augur

I just got mine about 30 mins ago when most of the crazy folks that swarm the zone were not on. Early bird gets the worm they say. I could easy imagine it being harder during prime with 50+ people in the zone.

I am happy they did this it gave me a reason to go to the revamped zones unlike the in past where they had no upgrades for anyone.

Also, I have been there since I heard about the cloak and did not get any trains or ksed by anyone. Minimal griefing here so far even at prime time with a zone full of players.
  14. Stubar Augur

Just ask for it to be cursor loot.
  15. Trajet D'Or Augur

Around 150 or so, average one thing every 1-2 weeks dealing with a rotating cast of 60-70 other real people will produce a lot of memories.
  16. Ruven_BB Augur

This was like the old EQ. Fun.

Knowing the next mob may have your item is similar to getting the jackpot in slots. Best part is one mob isn't the ph permanent farmed since its any mob that can drop.

The named seemed to be overtuned since players ignore them and focus on trash since the drops are no drop and on par with tier one group gear.

I have played more EQ than I have in years. Thanks devs.

Ruven
  17. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

Yeah, I was KS'd on purpose for the first time in probably 5 years the other day. I've had my camp muscled in on, been trained (accidental), and had to deal with some extremely rude people.

However, I've also been rezzed by (and been able to rez) adjacent groups of strangers. I've been able to have fun telling jokes in /ooc. I've swapped modrods and pet toys to a passing group for shaman and enchanter buffs. I've got the inside scoop on a neat camp from someone who is just about to leave. I've gotten offers of rot loot and met new people in my time in these zones.

This is an MMO, you take the good with the bad. None of the positive effects of that social friction can be felt without the negative effects.
  18. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

The gear is T2-3, and most of the named are honestly not that hard for dropping it. IMO, the tuning is about right on that end.
  19. Laronk Augur

The hard part of the named is more the proximity of everything and the old school agro radius's + the roamers
  20. Trajet D'Or Augur

Positive - telling jokes in /ooc, ;general to twitter you don't lack for options
    Positive - swapping rod/toys for buffs, if someone in general offers enc/shm buffs for rod/toys you zone out
    Positive - someone told you about a neat camp, eliminate competition and he would have told you about it hours earlier
    Positive - exchanging rezzes, guild lobby

Negative - KS'ed, can't happen
    Negative - trained, can't happen
    Negative - camp taken, can't happen
    Negative - rude people, ignore is a wonderful tool and you no longer have to deal with them beyond words

It's very possible to have the good but not the bad, it's called instancing. Added bonus of crawl instead of camp with no repop, added bonus of motivation to group since you will have available mobs to allow you to increase your kill rate instead of sticking with your Pyzjn strat.

Added bonus that people with jobs who sleep at night and can play EQ in only a specific time frame have the same access to the content as the guy who can and chooses to play at 4am on a weekday.

Added bonus that AB server which has by all available information considerably more players can generate considerably more Cloaks than FV instead of both servers being hard capped by zone repop rate and both servers likely approaching that hard cap and definitely hitting that hard cap during the only stretch of time that many players can play.