Agnars progression is too fast

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kanuvan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Ticino Journeyman

One of the draws for me towards Phinigel when I was looking for progression server to play on was the instancing, while I made an alt there I decided to go for the slower progression on Ragefire over the obvious benefits of instancing. If at some point in the future a slow progression akin to Ragefire/Lockjaw with the instancing of Phinigel and wasn't content locked like Agnar seems to be like, then I would be all for it! I like the idea of Agnar, but I want to raid beyond PoP down the line.
  2. Ticino Journeyman

This gave me a somewhat interesting idea. GoD+ server where you can transfer from Agnar to GoD or you can choose to make a new character starting level 65 with gear around mid PoP level. While I doubt this would be a thing, the thought if it makes me want to actually play on Agnar when it launches and see where it goes. My favorite expansions were PoP and LDoN so that kinda makes me the ideal target for Agnar, however with minimal experience in expansions passed them I kinda want to think that I have not given expansions beyond a proper go in order to fully experience them. Though, I have enjoyed GoD Raiding, it was just too buggy for me to actively enjoy it while I played it, which is one reason I originally quit raiding all those years ago.
  3. -wycca Augur

Neat idea honestly. Also, GoD, after re-tunes, fixes, etc over the years, is actually one of their best expansions. Probably my favorite. You'll be pleasantly surprised I think if you ever get to play it (sorta a shame phin only gets 2 months of it).
  4. nagash101 Augur

with a locked expansion server it needs to be 16 week at a minimum.
    Brunlin and Xanathol like this.
  5. Basak Augur

I'd like to see 6 months a piece. No intention to go beyond PoP, why bother rushing?
    Xanathol likes this.
  6. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I'd be willing to wager some pretty good money that all the people in this thread clamoring for 6 months of Classic didn't do classic on Fippy/Vulak or Ragefire/Lockjaw.

Even if you just log in one night a week after 3 months of classic it's eye-bleedingly boring and stale. You can do tradeskills, but there is no reason to do them. You can do your Sol Ro armor quests (which will be replaced with planar anyway) but you can't do your epic or other big quests (shawl etc). You can get max level but you can't grind AA's.

Basically you get to farm naggy and vox each week for cloaks, kill inny each week for his racial loot that no one can wear, clear fear every week dealing with the bugs and death touches, and having to re-explain Sky over and over and over again because every single week someone shows up who's never done it before.

Did I mention the time you'll spend in OOT killing goblins?

Classic shouldn't ever last more than a month and DB really needs to give more consideration to doing a trilogy launch for an upcoming TLP server. I think with Agnarr being PoP locked it's acceptable to start in Classic, but asking for 4 to 6 months of Classic is insane.

People want 6 months of classic so they can play for a month and then play something else for 3 months and hope to come back to a game that hasn't really changed. In my experience those people very, very rarely come back so I can't recommend catering a server to them. Either play EQ or don't and if you stop playing for 3 months don't be surprised when the server doesn't wait up for you.
    Dysfunction and Starr like this.
  7. Pictarous Augur

These exact points are brought up by professional neckbeards every time there is a new TLP. Every time, the new TLP becomes the most popular as a majority of the population rerolls.

Every time.

It won't be different. This ForumQuest is over.

L O L: for u m quest gets censored. This is some spppppeeecciiaaall snowflake stuff right here.
  8. AgentofChange Augur

You could have just wrote Forum Quest like everyone else...
  9. Zansobar Augur

It sounds like you either 1) aren't a casual, or 2) aren't playing many alt characters. There are at least half a dozen classes I want to play and I will not be able to get those classes to 50 in the 3 month time frame of classic, not even counting starting to gear them.
  10. AgentofChange Augur

You are in the minority in your line of thinking, because 6 months has been tried a few times, and the results have always been worse than a shorter time-frame such as 3-4 months. So DBG is just going with what works.

I've got good news for you though bud. You can play your alts in whatever expansion you want and go at whatever pace you like. Take years if you'd like.
  11. Zansobar Augur

DBG has never launched an expansion locked TLP before. Longer unlocks would work fine.
    Brunlin likes this.
  12. Dilf Augur

I agree with both sides of the discussion. I too think that Classic should be as short as possible, but I wouldn't mind if all of the following expansions were >3 months and <6 months. Of course there will be hardcore players pushing the limits, but Agnarr really seems to be targeting the casual crowd. There's no need to rush the content, because Phinigel is still there for your hardcore exp, raiding, and progression towards Live needs.
  13. AgentofChange Augur

The server is identical to Phinigel with better xp rates. The only difference will come once Ldon is 3 months in, which will be almost 2 years from now. Longer unlocks would work, shorter unlocks would work better. They are going with what will work better. Pretty simple decision.
  14. Nuther Augur

I just played on Phinny last year for 6 months (April to October). Here is what I had time to level. 45 Druid, 60 Cleric (200+ smith), 30 Pally X2, 45 Rogue, 30 Ranger and two level 18s. I work full time and have kids.

With all the pots and bonus weekend, there is plenty of time to level.
    Pictarous likes this.
  15. Pictarous Augur

+1
  16. Basak Augur

Fippy/Vulak, no. But I did Lockjaw. DOn't remember how long I stayed but I do remember how much fun it was in classic. I left due to work reasons, not because of classic.

Classic should not indeed last longer than a month -except- if the server is going to lock at an expansion. I fail to see a reason why they want to make it go so fast, they may as well just launch the whole thing as pop-lock and not progression server up to pop-lock. On a side note, I do not agree with your Trilogy, though classic+kunark I could get behind.

I want 6 months of classic because I love classic. The most fun I had was during Classic in the beginning of EQ, and on every progression server I played on, I had the most fun with classic. I am sure I am not the only one out there that enjoys it. That's not to say I didn't enjoy other expansions, LDoN probably being my favorite content overall, followed closely by Velious and Ykesha.

That is upsetting, XP moves too fast for me on Phinigel, and with this being better rates? Not going to let that stop me though. Shorter unlocks work better for progression servers, but this isn't really going to be a progression server is it. Sure, you will progress through the expansions to reach PoP-Lock, but then you won't progress in expansions anymore. There is no reason to make it shorter unlocks, longer unlocks sound more logical because of the fact it is going to lock.
  17. AgentofChange Augur

It is a progression server, until it reaches LDoN, so it will have the same reaction every other TLP server has had in the past. Longer unlocks may make more sense to you, but it would have the exact same results it has always had. Which, quite frankly, are poor results.
  18. DariyaVika Augur

I do wish they'd unlock LDON much earlier, because it's a great way to gear up rather than praying for RNGeesus in traditional dungeons.
  19. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Personally if I were in charge of Agnarr I would let it be a PoP/LDoN launch+lock right out of the gate. This would be fantastic cash grab for hardcores (at least the ones not already invested in Phinny) who would love the thrill of racing to Quarm from square one, but at the same time players who aren't really interested in the end-game, or at least not any time soon, could still grind their way through all nostalgic zones without having to worry about stuff like defiant gear ruining the experience. LDoN's don't become relevant til level 15, and Velious doesn't become relevant til 30+.

I think if they'd have announced it that way people wouldn't have even been mad that there were no unlocks. It wouldn't due to backpedal at this point, because the moment you mention unlocks everyone and their mom wants to post about what the perfect timetable would be and why each alternative leads to the apocalypse.
  20. Stewgottz Augur

^sick event server.

Server lasts 3 months and resets infinitely every 3 months.

Classic to Quarm. Prizes, pixels, and all that good stuff.

As far as Agnarr, with instancing I think 3 months is about right. Ragefire even opened Kunark after 3 months and let me tell you 9 months of classic-kunark is a very long 9 months. Throw in on demand raid lewts, guilds will be ready to move on inside a month or two.

A "Pop-locked" server seems to me the best way to roll out a new TLP without cannibalizing the current TLPs too bad, however; I would not be surprised if down the pike Agnarr opens up transfers to other TLP's or perhaps progresses further.