Agnars progression is too fast

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kanuvan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Kanuvan Elder

Stop with the 12 week thing, its too fast, people play on new TLP's to progress through expansions not to get planes of afk in a couple months

If the server is going to stop at pop, why would you fast forward us to pop? ffs keep us in classic/kunark area till mid 2018 atleast
    Xanathol likes this.
  2. OldGrinder New Member

Because it's a money grab, typical DBG style.
  3. Runes Augur

Stop with the whinning about the fast unlocks..they could be 30 day unlocks..no one is forcing you to move ..stay in classic for years if you want..reality is that everyone is going to reach end and burn out anyway as its locked.
  4. nagash101 Augur

So when is early summer exactly? June?
  5. Theseus Lorekeeper

12 weeks is a big mistake!
  6. AgentofChange Augur

12 weeks has been proven time and time again to be a very reasonable speed. 16 weeks has been somewhat acceptable, but anything longer has never, ever been successful or welcomed when actually put into action.
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. Nuther Augur

I am interested in playing LDON, so how long before that unlocks at a 12 week pace?
  8. Fohpo Augur

3 months with Ragefire experience and instancing... people are gonna max AA and gear out so quick. People honestly don't think extending it to 6 months or something crazy is a legitimate idea, do they?
  9. AgentofChange Augur

End of April for Phinigel. Something like December 2018 for Agnarr if it does indeed launch in June of 2017. Although it won't be a 12 week pace of Agnarr, it will be forever and ever and ever and ever and...
  10. Kattahn Elder

they've also never done an expansion locked TLP before.
  11. AgentofChange Augur

Idk what your point is. This does not change the fact that longer unlocks means bad news for a server.
  12. Kattahn Elder

Because context matters? People dislike longer expansion unlocks on servers that are about pushing through content and unlocking the next content. That is not the case on this server. This is for people to apparently savor their time in classic.

If the goal is to get to pop as fast as possible and never move past it, why have unlocks at all? Why not just release a server that starts at pop and never unlocks. If the goal is to give casuals time to experience everything, then longer unlocks would be better. If they're willing to spend 2 years clearing potime every week like they say they are, then surely 4-6 months in velious instead of 3 isn't going to cripple the server?

If anything longer than 3 months in an expansion is bad news for the server then what happens 3 months after pop unlocks?
  13. Potsos76 Augur

I honestly don't see the point of even opening the server in classic at all. Just open it with PoP/LDoN/LoY enabled and let people get directly to the best part of the era, if that's that point of the server. Only difference would be most guilds would skip to the more current raid targets. Is that somehow a bad thing? This server honestly just seems so pointless.
    Rhodz and Kattahn like this.
  14. AgentofChange Augur

That will end up being the goal. It is a phinny clone with better xp rates that stops after ldon. People will race regardless of the server rules. Forcing them to stay longer in earlier xpacs will have the same result it has always had. Loss of playerbase. As I said before, 3 months has been a successful recipe. Long enough to let the casual playerbase feel they can adequately play through the xpac, and short enough to let the hardcore tire themselves out without getting them to quit.
  15. Kattahn Elder

But again, if 3 months of an expansion is a problem for TLPs, what happens after 3 months of PoP?

If its as big a problem as you say, then the entire premise of the server is flawed.
  16. AgentofChange Augur

Yes it is
  17. Kattahn Elder

I think we're more in agreement then i realized :)

I guess I just feel like if they're ok with locking at an expansion forever, then go all in - 4-6 month unlocks on everything. If this server is for casuals to just hop on an hour a day and kill 1 gnoll pup while RP walking, then embrace it and give them what they want.

What makes no sense to me is the combination of 3 month unlocks + perma lock at one. It seems like 2 conflicting ideas.
  18. AgentofChange Augur

I think the server has the following goals:
    1) Copy the same premise as Phinigel, as it has been wildly successful
    2) Create a server that doesn't take people away from Phinigel, or at least not too many, as you don't want to alienate the current playerbase too much
    3) Find a way to bring in the new players or people who missed the launch of Ragefire/Lockjaw/Phinigel and want to start fresh with other players

A PoP/Ldon time-locked server accomplishes many of these goals. Many Phinigel players won't want to leave Phinny, at least not the ones with a lot of time already invested, as they will simply end on Agnarr where they currently are today. The same theory holds for Ragefire/Lockjaw, although most those players don't like the truebox code anyway, and it is the reason they aren't on Phinny right now.

The biggest complaint Phinigel got was that the XP is too slow (so they have solved this by using Ragefire/Lockjaw experience rates, which the majority of people thought were fair rates).

As I have said previously, past experience has shown DBG that anything more than 4 months is just too long for classic - PoP expansion unlocks. Too many people get bored and leave. So 3 months makes a lot of sense. Many people stuck around on Phinny, so I imagine they assume the same thing will happen on Agnarr.

The end-game here is that once they reach the PoP/LDoN lock, DBG can play it by ear and decide what to do next. They could open a new TLP, they could let the server vote on whether to actually keep it locked or let it continue, they could create a branch-off server with free transfers allowing you to progress through GoD+ beyond, but allow others to stay locked in PoP, they can really do whatever they want. They've already gotten people back into the game to spend money for the past year and a half. They have accomplished their goal and can just recycle.

Where you see a conflict between "short" expansion unlocks turned into an endless PoP/LDoN cycle, I believe DBG sees a finish line that lets them breath for a year and a half to work on live expansions while still milking the TLP market for all its worth.
  19. Nolrog Augur

Late May, early June. I believe they said that in the live stream.
  20. Hdizzle Augur

This. Six month unlocks can work, Ragefire with instancing is sweet. If they stick to 12 weeks just remember, how often do expansions actually get released on schedule? Odds are at least two of the first 4 expansions will be delayed for any variety of reasons.