Account to Account Character Transfer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Belkar_OotS, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Celephane Augur

Did you read that part about never gonna happen?
  2. Warpeace Augur

Maybe they should pin a thread titled account to account transfers with the last answer from JChan?
  3. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

No, I didn't. I know the main Daybreak site says it's temporary.
  4. Leerah Augur

That's what I do too! Except I really don't make many berserkers or paladins. You never know when you're going to need an extra rogue or druid.

One of my accounts has 15 slots. I'd be afraid if I moved anything off that one.

5. Leerah Augur

I bid 3 for $50 each.
  6. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

It will be fixed when slow belts get buffed
  7. Coagagin Guild house cat

Pent up demand for this service would be so great DBG would have to do so server by server for months at a time before getting caught up. At this time it would be such a customer service nightmare its probably best to let sleeping dogs lie without a great deal of automation. From what I remember this used to be a time sink for someone at the 'director level' who knew the mechanics of performing these transfers.
  8. Cinadara New Member

If it takes a ton of effort to sync things between accounts, perhaps it would be easier to have one time transfers to new accounts only. This would provide immediate income, as well as increasing the continuous revenue stream from players that want to spend money for a service like this.

I would do this immediatly if it was offered.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Kaenneth like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If this was something they could easily do don't you think they would do it? Besides even if they said it was a one time thing as soon as it is complete people would be asking for them to do it again and again. In the end it would never end up being a one time thing and people would demand it happen again because they missed out on it.
  10. Stymie Pendragon

They could, but I can see a way to make this happen and show a nearly guaranteed ROI.

Contract someone proficient in SQL for say $3-5k to write the script. It may take a staff member a day or 2 to show them the system. If they have a shop rate of $100 an hour that's around $2k. Total cost of around $7k to implement. With $50 per transfer the payback is 140 transfers. After that it's just extra income for life of program that they don't have today.

I could sell that to my management team with a colorful PowerPoint to seal the deal.;)
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

3-5k? If the fix was really that simple and required that little work don't you think they would have done it by now? I mean that really isn't that much of a cost and transfers would quickly pay it back.
  12. Febb Augur

I'm pretty sure the sql script isn't the issue. They have to verify accounts belong to the same owner so I bet they discontinued it because of CS issues.
    Stymie and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  13. Stymie Pendragon

But couldn't that be done as well? It's a check during the process similar to moving toons within a single account. If then yes, if not no. 1 or 0.

If this activity was able to be done manually in the past then I can see no reason it can't be done within a script. Let's not make the valadation portion into more of an actual challenge than it truly is.

My original point was that they could, but that they choose not to. It really comes down to that.There are people within this thread throwing out unrealistic numbers, and I wanted to bring it back down to earth.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it was that simple why haven't they done it? Why would they chose not to offer a service if it wasn't hard to fix it and getting it working again?
  15. Stymie Pendragon

I don't know if it's a resource issue or something else. Either way, it isn't a herculean task. Let's be real. It's basic customer service level programming.

"Bob" was able to come to work in the past and make this happen for me and a plethora of other customers. If this company can write amazing Dragon fight scripts with emotes, kill phases, etc. they can do this if they wanted to without it being a massive expenditure that doesn't pay back.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are an expert on the code base at Daybreak/Darkpaw?
    Tatanka likes this.
  17. Stymie Pendragon

To answer your question, no I am not.This will be my last post on the topic, but I want to reiterate that I believe it could be done if they wanted to without it having a massive price tag associated. It worked in the past, so it isn't impossible right?

Out of curiosity I looked up what it would cost to hire a SQL contractor for the job in Irvine. The average hourly pay is around $46 an hour according to glassdoor.com. Using my high end estimate of $5k, that is nearly 3 weeks of an "expert" that knows what they are doing being devoted to nothing but getting this working again.

From what little communication we've had in regards to this topic I think we can all agree it's never going to happen.

Forumquest can be fun though:)
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You believe it can be done but you have no idea what is needed to be done? If it was really a 3 week job and would only costs a few grand why wouldn't they invest in it?
  19. cadres Augur

I've said it before but...
    There are people who would be happy to pay a *lot* of money to move toons
    I don't understand why they don't do some proper market research on this
  20. Chorus Augur

Code base is irrelevant. You're pulling a list of data with item #'s tagged to it and the slots they occupy. It isn't rocket science and the EQ code base is irrelevant to this task. The problem is outside the game most definitely. Yes, I do this sort of thing on the job all the time. No, I don't know what problem they have, but its clear they don't want to solve it. Remember, this is the same game that told us we couldn't have bigger than 10 slot bags for several years, then suddenly....

I also seriously question the skill level of the people involved. They couldn't even keep the players pages up to date when those existed. That should've been a no brainer. Even Magelo does it better than they ever did and they don't have access to the code base either.

Their public answer is always going to be nonsense, that's just the politics of business and it sucks.
    Stymie likes this.