A new Ragefire

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Constellation, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Pikallo Augur

Did they ninja release Velious?
  2. Constellation Augur

Yes, I was the first one allowed to test the zone out. ❗️
  3. Moranis Augur

Then how did that druid/cleric heal you? Something smells funny here!
  4. Constellation Augur

It may have just been Skyfire, but that wouldn't be as interesting.
  5. Tudadar Augur

People that quit are waiting for a new prog server that they hope will improve / change everything

Its the never ending progression cycle
  6. Grandma Elder

They will be back for Velious to farm as much krono as possible from that expansion.
  7. Constellation Augur

They won't be back silly.
  8. Constellation Augur

They will come back to Ragefire. I have like 10,000 friends that are coming back with me. Really like 20, but that's a lot!
  9. Jaime Lannister Augur

I been on RF since day one.
    Yes the population is certainly not what it once was, but you can still find pug groups. A lot of RF players have no reason to group atm. They have multiple level 60's, nearly all the gear they can get on their own. I expect a decent surge (still not to previous RF levels) of players when Velious releases.

That being said, the server is still not "Dead" by any means. Though I miss my TL boys, I find Ragefire to actually be far better off now than it was before Phinny. Really enjoying this server right now, minus the boredom of waiting for Velious.
    Constellation likes this.
  10. Semah Augur

Gonna say what I always say in these threads. Still having fun on Ragefire. Looking forward to Velious. Super excited to see you all there!
  11. Sandy100 Elder

I am confused. I see people complaining about bots, but what are bots and how do they use them or create them?
  12. Kiani Augur

Bots are characters on extra accounts controlled from one PC, often by 3rd party software. You used to see a stream of identical mages and their pets running through a zone together, all casting the same spells at the same time. Now, a mage army can't monopolise bosses in the same way, but you still see teams of toons together, and some bot armies can still manage raid content.
  13. Bewts Augur

Bot is a term that has many definitions in EQ. I have a heal bot which is a second account that stands up, heals me and then sits back down. I press a single button to do that (the equal sign in my case). Because I don't use the character for much else besides buffing, healing and rezzing, it is termed a "bot".

However, the negativity towards bots are not typically for those types of uses (although I got plenty of flak for my 5 bots following me around). The negativity towards bots is two fold.

First, some people were utilizing software to automate farming of items (like bone chips or fire beetle eyes). These items were important for a time because in massive amounts, you could level via quest turn-ins. The XP rewarded for those quests has been significantly nerfed to eliminate the need for these types of bots although there are plenty of other uses for it (farming trade skill components. action items, or even AFK leveling is still a relevant use for this type of bot).

Second, through third party software, a single person can run 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36 or more accounts all at once. These are the bots that created the changes we experienced to pet classes and partially the doubling or tripling of strength of traditional raid targets because with so many of a single class' pet you could simply just summon new pets and "pet wall" raid targets as it was called. Effectively, a single person could lock down raid spawns by abusing the strength of massive amounts of pets. The people that do this type of stuff are called "botters" because chances are most of their characters have never even sent a single tell to anyone and are run by someone understanding how to plan and setup another program to automate things for them (such as summoning pets, healing, or nuking).

So, depending on if you do any of these things, you could be a botter at varying degrees.

In my case, I'm technically a botter because I run 6 classes at once, but I don't have the capability to monopolize anything more than a single camp (or maybe the same camp in two instances). On the spectrum of disruption of someone's game experience, I barely make a ripple. Some, however, make waves and can literally lock a raid spawn down for the servers without instanced raids (Ragefire and Lockjaw).
  14. Marthisdil Augur

1) Darkwind has sorta taken their place for 18ish hours of the day. US Primetime the 3 US raiding guilds still sometimes get a few mobs. Darkwind is actively recruiting to get a US raid force.

2) Hate to tell you, but no, not really. There's still a LOT of boxers. You use the word "botter" - you don't have to bot to use **boxer

3) This is pretty much true. When Phinny came out a lot of folks went there. On top of the boredom fact that there's still a lot of time until Velious comes out.

p.s. after the initial couple of months, Twisted Legacy wasn't "the problem" on Ragefire.
  15. Marthisdil Augur

I will disagree with this statement :)
  16. Marthisdil Augur

Technically it's roughly 5 guilds now - Darkwind, Rosengard, Tempus/Ceaseless Evolution/False Prophecy

The difference is Tempus/CE/FP raid in US primetime (expanded out a bit on weekends). Mobs that spawn any of the other 18 hours of the day, in general, are Darkwinds (RG gets some too). Darkwind does their best to keep Trakanon's spawn time in the US mornings, so the respawn timer starts very early morning US time, for th ebest chance of respawn happening outside of US primetime.

DB is the one that set the respawn timers the way they did. So they can be taken advantage of. And that's that. It is how it is.

The other raid guilds will band together to sock/race sometimes, win some, lose some.

But, since you've been gone, I'll forgive your ignorance of the environment right now.
  17. Constellation Augur

You fail at reading. He referenced the decrease in drama on the forums, and that is because like 10 guilds are no longer trying to kill the same raid targets.

Twisted Legacy
    Apok
    Reign of Eternity
    Rosengard
    Ceaseless
    False Prophesy
    Darkwind
    Canadian Armed Forces
    Renamants of Prexus

Can’t remember the other bot guild.

Bots in comparison to what it was just 5 months ago has dramatically decreased. As in exactly what I said. I am not a fan of twisted legacy, but if they came back today, Darkwind wouldn't get a single mob from them. My point in pointing out that comparing Darkwind to Twisted Legacy is silly. I hope that makes it easier for you to understand the conversation. Anyone can read your posts on this forum and see that the majority of them are always pessimistic.
  18. vardune Augur

All the top servers need the same one account per computer that Phinigel has along with the anti 3rd party software code.
  19. Tudadar Augur

I wonder how many more jobs would be lost over this. Im pretty sure your talking 500-1k accounts or more (60k-150k+ a year or more depending on sub length/rate/krono vanishing) I wonder what the aftermath would be. All gm's replaced with annoying senior guides? lol
  20. Pictarous Augur

Armchair economists have been saying EQ will die without their subs since 1999.

Also saying ragefire isn't dead in a forum post begging people to come back - I see the delusional are still in force on the forums.