A HUGE mistake

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Danille, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Coruth Augur

I am surprised that new mobs didnt just put all the mission loot on these
  2. Kurayami Augur

Naw, rot loot from ToV and T1 RoF raids is a lot easier to acquire.
  3. Dalmoth Journeyman

They are interesting, but you really should consider modifying the BIG ranged AE on A successful mistweaver to have it only hit people on the hate list. It was annoying to be working on partisan tasks in the zone and have our entire group be killed because someone else far away from us engaged him. I like the mechanic of it, but really needs to not interfere with other players that happen to be in the death zone of that AE.
    Axxius, Daedly and silku like this.
  4. Axxius Augur

Is there a data error in this spell used by A Successful Mistwielder, who is not even among the 2-group difficulty named?

[38583] Corruption
    Target: Caster PB
    AE Range: 300'
    Viral Range: 40', Recast: 10s to 10s
    Resist: Poison -960, Max: 95%
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 18s (3 ticks)
    1: Decrease Current HP by 60000 per tick
    2: Decrease Current Endurance by 3000 per tick
    3: Increase Poison Counter by 80

PBAE 300 range virus dot 60k hp x 3 ticks! :eek: That is nastier than virus dots used in raids. It has got to be an error? Even raid dots are ether single target or very short range.

Can a dev look into this, please?
  5. Nenton Augur

And the ridiculous ninja-patch to Aphomat in Evantil #1 a while back. 81k a tick isn't for group gear (or mercs).

[33730] Wave of Fear
    Target: Caster PB
    AE Range: 40'
    Resist: Disease -850
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 6s (1 ticks)
    Push: 6' Up: 3'
    1: Decrease Current HP by 81000 per tick
    Text: You have been struck by an intense wave of fear.
    silku likes this.
  6. Axxius Augur

AE range 40 only means you need to range dps it, or time the ae and get away when it's about to hit. This is not a hard mob at all. Now, 300 PBAE and a VIRUS at that - that's ridiculous.
  7. Tobynn Augur

The viral range on Mistwielder DoT is irrelevant, the PBAE 300 is gonna hit everyone in the group anyway (hell it even hits oblivious passersby in the area, killing any unsuspecting fool who happens to be within 300'). It being viral just makes using single target cures useless -- and quite frankly, given the enormous damage dealt in such a short time, no one is going to be using any single target cures anyway. This encounter essentially requires real clerics/paladins that can group heal and group cure by casting a single spell. There is no time for casting multiple heals and multiple cures independently; the damage is too severe and too swift.

Plus his other trick is a PBAE for 80,000. Provided you stay closeby it hits you for only 1 point of damage, but try to keep your distance from him and you eat the full 80k DD. This secondary effect forces you to stay in range and eat the DoT.

Mistwielder is the new Xolok. Been up for two days on Bristle and no one even wastes their time on attempting him.
  8. Axxius Augur

Viral flag is relevant because:
    1) mercs - this named is officially not one of the harder ones tuned for 2 groups, and yet so anti-merc;
    2) viruses are usually single target with spells with larger-than-usual damage; this is why this spell looks so suspicious - I think it could be intended to be single target, not PBAE.
  9. Falos Augur

I consider xolok easy, i've boxed him, duo'd him , grouped him, etc killed him many times. Mistwielder i've only killed one time and it was rough. i doubt i go back and kill him a 2nd time in his current form, he's wayyyy overtuned for a 1 group mob. I also feel that the undefeated blade is way overtuned as well but that's more up for debate since he's intended to be done by two groups.Mistwielder is harder than agralta, deepblade, and paleodontis was when they were current imo, as is the undefeated blade.
  10. Xequecal Journeyman

Due to how EQ DoT mechanics work, I'm not sure how it's even possible to 1-group a mob with a 60,000/tick AE DoT with 80 poison counters. Anyone not cured before 12 seconds is dead, so you'd need enough healer classes with AE cures that could spam 80 counters away in 12 seconds.

For those that don't know, DoTs have a phantom tick problem where the per-tick damage is done immediately on application, but for some reason the client doesn't realize this. When the DoT is applied, you take 39,000 damage, (after spell shield) but the client doesn't register this. Even though you've taken damage, your HP still appears at 100%. When the first tick occurs 6 sec after application, you take another 39,000 damage, and only now does your HP get updated. So 6 sec after the DoT is applied, you appear to immediately lose 78,000 HP.

The problem doesn't stop there, however. Because you "lost" 78,000 HP on the first tick, the client now believes that the DoT actually does 78,000/tick in damage. So even if you receive some healing between the first and second tick, if you have less than 78,000 HP when the second tick hits the client thinks you've just died and kicks you into an unconscious state. You don't actually die, because the server knows you only took 39,000 damage, but are locked into unconsciousness until you receive some healing. Apparently getting healed updates the client on your actual HP and it lets you stand back up again. Of course, if this happens it's typically fatal since you're unable to do anything and the next tick will kill you for real.

Due to this fun bug, a single cleric chain-casting Word of Reformation the second the DoT is applied cannot actually cure it before it knocks everyone in the group unconscious. You actually need two clerics just to handle the DoT, and then of course a third healer to keep the tank up because the tank isn't going to live 12 seconds with no heals.
  11. Tobynn Augur

Anti-merc? Bring real healers. The mob doesn't need to be changed specifically to better accommodate mercs.

I am not debating whether this mob's spell effects are working as intended, merely that the viral property is serving no purpose when the DoT itself is PBAE for such huge range. The PBAE DoT range is 300. It will hit everyone in that area of the zone. Whether those people are standing within 40 of one another is irrelevant. Each player could spread out to well outside viral range and they would all still get the DoT directly from the mob. The DoT will hit everyone, therefore it won't be spreading virally to anyone as everyone already has it.

I am baffled this mob passed through Beta and everyone thought it was OK as is.
  12. Xequecal Journeyman

The mob has a second AE ability that hits for 80k maximum, but also hits for less damage the closer you are to the mob. If you all stack on top of the mob, it hits for 1, but then the virus part of the other AE devastates you. You have to stand close enough to not get flattened by the AE yet far enough out to negate the viral aspect of the DoT.

Also, like I just posted, you need two real healers just to negate the effect of the DoT even if you do everything else perfectly. That's three real healers required for a one group mob. (because someone has to heal the tank)
  13. Tobynn Augur

I am aware of the 80k DD; scroll up like 5 posts. And I also agreed that this mob is currently requiring clerics/paladins that have the ability to heal/cure the group in a single spell cast, also posted 5 up.

If this mob's abilities are reviewed and deemed to be 'working as intended' then I would suggest this mob be added to the 2-group variety and its drops should be doubled.
  14. Shang Augur

A Huge Mistake's adds are rootable.. if that helps anyone, I guess.
  15. Falos Augur

My friend and I killed the successful mistwielder (we aren't raiders) our setup was mage/mage/shaman (i was three boxing) + non boxed chanter + 2 cleric mercs. One cleric merc died right on engage due to running around in a stupid path by the named mob) and the 2nd merc died to the first viral ae. None of our characters died during the fight, but my shaman died to the DoT right after the named died.

I'm sure we could kill it again IF we had to but quite frankly I dont think we ever plan to find out lol. it is one of the most ridiculously tuned mobs in the game in recent memory. I actually rarely box my shaman when we play but I think for groupers mercs just aren't enough to cut it and a real healer class needs to be present. Boxed shaman was not able to cure the viral dot fast enough but I was at least able to augment our survivability long enough for us to get the win so it is technically doable, but despite me pointing out it is doable I should also say I still feel it needs a retune to be realistically feasible for most people. It was not a fun fight, the difficulty wasn't really skill based it was just difficult because of overpowered ae abilities and an overpowered damage shield that demolishes pets if you dont control pets flawlessly. I hope they never unleash a mob like this upon groupers again in the future.
  16. Axxius Augur

So basically you are saying that once again it was 2 mages > named, and the rest of the fodder didn't really matter. :D
    Candydare likes this.
  17. silku Augur

I keep seeing people say "if you don't like mercs, bring real clerics." Have you guys ever tried to get a bunch of healers in a non raiding guild? The only way we do a lot of the content is with mercs, because we don't have a choice. I'd take a real cleric in a heartbeat, but almost every cleric worth their salt is gonna be in a raiding guild soon. Very few 'casual' clerics out there.
    Sinestra and Shang like this.
  18. Falos Augur

Actually the successful mistwielder is anti mage in pretty much every way.

A ranger tanks it better than a mage pet does. Due to his frequent spell reflect and massive damage shield the mage pets can't do *anything* most of the fight and swarm pets die without maxing out their dps. We'd have had an easier time if we replaced the mages with wizards or anything else.

Mages arent as universally god tier as everyone thinks, and after the most recent nerf mercs burn through their mana a lot more trying to keep pets up against some of the more recent named mobs.

The enchanter and the shaman are what made the difference in the fight - not the mages. Not for this named.
  19. Gnomeland Augur

Only SoE thinks it's a decent idea to have 2 group mobs dropping normal group loot in today's EQ...
    Sinestra likes this.
  20. Gragas Augur

Any mob that requires you to range DPS (aka anti-melee) it so you don't die from it's aura, AE or DOT's pretty much sucks.