2024, Make Paladins !

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ofearl, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Warpeace Augur

How did you verify that?
  2. Allayna Augur

You're saying that I'll get the additional HaoT ticks and it isn't based at all on me spamming the spell on repeat?

How would you go about testing this?

I see know easily verifiable way.

The only messaging in logs is on the cast.

Not arguing that you are wrong, just asking for proof, as I often provide in my assertions.
  3. Tucoh Augur

So, I don't think EQ works like that and when I looked into it a few years ago I found results contrary to that and what Beimeth told me at the time.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...w-to-time-ticks-how-do-they-even-work.259409/

Allayna likes this.
  4. Szilent Augur

additional? no "additional" what additional?
  5. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I'm too lazy to independently verify this at the moment Appears to be true that each mob has its own timer, but it still validates Szilent's point that spam casting Hate over Time spells will not have a detrimental effect on the amount of hate generated. The timer will be static regardless of the number of times you cast the Hate over Time spell.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Based on how confusing ticks are my recommendation to anyone trying to decide whether to spam hots/dots/haots is to test it out by spamming it and seeing if it ticks.

IIRC each mob has its own timer like you say, so if you spammed it as fast as possible you'd get reliable ticks every 6 seconds even if you refreshed it. This validates Szilent's point, like you said.

I'm presuming we're talking about this line.

[62327/10905] Parlay for Honor Rk. III
    Classes: PAL/117
    Skill: Alteration
    Mana: 284
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Magic -50
    Stacking: Challenge for Honor/Power 30
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0.5s, Recast: 3.5s, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 30s+ (5 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    Recourse: Parlay for Honor Recourse III
    1: Increase Hate by 27009 per tick
    2: Increase Hate by 18484
    Text: You demand honor!
    Book: Utility Detrimental/Jolt
    Confronts your target for an honorable purpose, instantly increasing their hatred for you by 18484 points then by 27009 points every 6 seconds for 30 seconds.
    Triggers Parlay for Honor Recourse III which reduces incoming melee damage by 10% for 30 seconds or until 31592 damage has been absorbed.

[62330/10906] Parlay for Honor Recourse III
    Target: Single
    Range: 300'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 30s+ (5 ticks) Song, Dispelable: Yes
    5: Absorb Melee Damage: 10% over 1, Total: 31592
    Absorbs 10% of incoming melee damage, up to a maximum of 31592.
    Szilent and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  7. Allayna Augur

How do you validate "ticks"? That's the question. The debuff refreshes its duration on the mob. There is nothing in the log file related to hate for hate over time, just the initial cast hate.
  8. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Going off on a weird Hate over time tanget guys. Now we know they (Darkpaw) has the capability of adding dots or abilities to other spells. Now to save space on the spell bar Id love it if insta-cast Parlay was more of an AA that came with Audacity, undead slow, snare and a flipping DoT! Not to mention Vanquish needs a drastic improvement in damage. I mean with a bard, druid and chanter we see what a touch over 1mil damage. Make that puppy hit for base damage of 3x your current mana pool, before crit etc. add a 30 sec dot added with it. I mean I want to cripple and destroy undead, not piss-em off like a gnat.
    Allayna likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Good point, I've never looked at hoats before. I'd expect them to work like dots, which can be validated.
    Allayna likes this.
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Casting on multiple mobs and watching the aggro percent meters in ETW. The basic idea is:

Pull 4 trivial mobs.
    Let healer merc heal you and gain some aggro on all mobs.
    Fade (Balefire).

Now 4 mobs are beating on your healer merc and you have zero hate.
    Merc stance to Passive (no more hate) after a minute of self healing or so.

Ignore mob 1.
    Cast Audacity on mob 2.
    Cast Honor on mob 3.
    Cast Honor and Audacity on mob 4.

(Optionally Fade here to remove initial hate from the base percentages)

Watch aggro percentages climb per tick.
    Notice that percentages tick differently for each mob.
    Notice that mob 3 and 4 are not ticking equally.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

No mez breaking dot on that combo please.
    Qimble likes this.
  12. Qimble Augur

Also make sure it attempts to slow after their magic resist is lowered, or make the whole thing unresistable. Not being able to consistently land the slow recourse without tashing a mob first is annoying, but a fact of life.
  13. Warpeace Augur

If they don't want to combine Audacity can we get it instant cast like Parlay?
    Allayna likes this.
  14. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Can set it up like shaman languid bite, on or off, same if they included the snare.
    Ozon, Wulfhere and Allayna like this.
  15. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

Still think majority of things on this list would get paladins up to snuff.
    NatazzEvoli likes this.
  16. Warpeace Augur

One concern I have with Audacity even if we get it instant cast is its one of the lowest initial threat abilities we have. The tick helps make up for it but would leave the class lighter in initial hate generation when swapped out for something else.

Not likely to happen but maybe instant cast version that's an AA to fit into mash keys?
    alanus likes this.
  17. Allayna Augur

That's why I suggested a new spell line that casts both, think like shaman combo dots, casting multiple spells with 1 gem. That would probably be the easiest thing to code given it is used for multiple classes, rather than reworking and combining hate and hate over time for two abilities....

Just have a new combo spell that casts "highest rank of honor and audacity line..."
    Maedhros and Wulfhere like this.
  18. Warpeace Augur

OK, so you're saying it would cast both spells. Audacity first so the debuff lands then Parlay so it improves its chance to land, correct?
    Tanlie, Wulfhere and Allayna like this.
  19. Allayna Augur

That would be one potential, easy solution that has merit in game already as a combo cast.

AA abilities cast highest levels of spells for many classes too.

Ro for druids.
    Tash/Slow for enchanters.
    Slow/AE slow for shaman.

What I'm saying is that there are many different approaches to making honor and audacity better utilized tools.

A single spell, all of the hate from both (initial hate and HaOT added together, plus a magic resist debuff, undead slow/cripple, melee mitigation recourse...

A new spell line, that casts the highest ranks of both honor and audacity.

An AA. If AA ideally one that casts both, but wouldn't sneeze at two separate AAs.

The point is, there are a lot of things that would be minor tweaks to improve on the class. Honor and audacity are getting a lot of attention in this thread and there are other items that should get some attention too.
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Honor line is instant cast with focus AA Improved Demand For Honor rk 10