Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ddezul, Apr 4, 2024.

1. eqfanforlife Elder

I miss getting trained, it was always like free pulls.
  2. Cfuson Journeyman

I agree but then they piss off all 100 people who are anti free trade.
  3. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Being able to lock down trains of mobs as a solo warrior for farming purposes, Train up 15 spiders and kill at my own pace for one. Yeah it's nice, but it doesn't make sense. Not being able to use literally the only class feature I have to save another player or group with taunt. Not nice. Your above example for instance of not getting trained. Why would a hoard of undead mobs having killed their fleeing target walk back to their spawn point through your camp and just nod to you? The point of EQ is to feel like a living breathing world, breaking that immersion with an aggro lock is something I don't like.

I doubt feedback like that actually affected the decision though, and expect it was entirely financial. Oakwind didn't make them as much money as Mischief or the many Phinny clones, so the experiment was a failure on paper, even though many of you like it.

The sad part is, outside of FTE and it's controversial player feedback. Everything else about Oakwind was better than a Phinny clone, Heirloom>Personas, evolving (once fixed) combined unlock expansions. It was just better, and they scrapped the whole thing because they don't understand nuance.
    Doze likes this.
  4. Lejaun Augur

OK, let’s put it a different way. As someone who has played on multiple servers: Oakwynd per capita has had the least amount of toxic situations and players, and that is largely because FTE stopped a lot of it and made it harder for people to be toxic, chasing those type of players away.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  5. Lejaun Augur

Incorrect. They type /yell and you can help them. That easy. Nothing was taken away from you.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  6. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

I don't really get the first objection. It doesn't make sense that a warrior who can kill 15 spiders slowly by being very durable can do that? In a non-FTE environment you would expect someone else to kill the spiders out from under the warrior?

Not being able to taunt off randos and the immersion-breaking nature of trains not having social aggro seem like perfectly reasonable points, albeit ones that could probably be addressed mechanically. I like EQ's "natural" social aggro, the only problem is when it's clearly manipulated in a toxic way.
  7. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Not if their AFK, which is a thing that happens, and did. Adding a new mechanic that breaks the original base mechanics of the game, does in fact take things away.

That said, I do think they should enable FTE on one of the new servers and give it a fair shake, Oakwind got boned and yall deserve a reboot, I think Tormax should be that reboot, I've been playing a Phinny clone for 5 years, that design is tired out.
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Yes, I would expect the level 60 bards and wizards who were also farming spider silk to force me to level past 20 to lock down farming a zone. I shouldn't be able to do that, and yet I did, was even accused of using cheat programs by multiple people, which I find hilarious. I don't even use gina to raid.
  9. Lejaun Augur

So a group of people start a massive train in themselves and then go AFK and you happen to not be able to help. Yeah, not a common experience. You know what is a common experience? People training a group to get an area they want. People running massive trains on purpose or accident through another group. You know what stopped that and people dying because of someone else’s stupidity or toxicity ? FTE. You know what stopped that group that died from petitioning and causing more reports? FTE.

You know who really hated FTE? People who love training and kill stealing.
  10. Gutznmutz New Member

I'm a huge fan of FTE and so is my entire friend group of 7 or 8 players. It helped with toxicity so much.
  11. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

Okay, but, like, in the Norrath I grew up in that wouldn't be acceptable for those bards or wizards either. They'd be hounded out of the community for toxicity for trying to kill steal from someone successfully fighting level-appropriate mobs they'd already engaged in a level-appropriate zone. FTE just brings about the behavior we already felt was acceptable without having to contact guild leaders or file petitions (or even just /shout about it). The vast majority of the time it makes no difference because those were always the rules.
  12. Tyranthraxus Grognard

It was a charmed pet for those keeping score. Not a massive train.
  13. Tyranthraxus Grognard

The Norrath we grew up in died a long time ago, ty krono. But to be clear I was being directly competative and racing them to targets, sharing nothing because I was there to make krono, not play on the nontoxic server.
  14. Lejaun Augur

Locked down a zone how? All anyone had to do was aggro a creature before you and your monopoly was over. The whole “locking down a zone” was almost eliminated They either had to go far out of their way to try to unlock mobs, making it clear their intentions or let you have it. You know what happens when there isn’t FTE? That person just sees you with a mob and KS’s you.

FTE greatly reduced the number of disruptive players.
    Search and Rescue likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You DO NOT speak for me. I certainly don't want FTE the same as many others.
    maxisbored and Doze like this.
  16. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

You obviously missed where I corrected that, to mean MY GUILD, which is what was being discussed at the time.
  17. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

I guess? This sounds like you're saying "Norrath is toxic now because krono, and I know because I will be as toxic as the game mechanically allows me to in pursuit of krono".
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  18. Zansobar Augur

About as many that want a Pvp server...no big loss.
  19. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I find competition fun, some people think of that as toxic. I don't apologize for that. I jumped over to Oakwind to test out FTE because it was a foregone conclusion it would be the new normal and I had fun with it, though not in the way most seem to think was the intent. I did manage to make an afk mage bot really unprofitable for hours at a time though so that was fun. What I found though was most people just left rather than compete for spawns, which was kind of disappointing.
  20. Ainamaf New Member

they did listen to the players. the most players were on aradune and mischief.. therefore...the most players liked aradune... teak is the peak EQ. they gave us mischief, what we all wanted.