Collection Quest Ground Spawns

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by gcubed, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Tegila Augur

[IMG]

seriously? this is as far up the wall as possible to go (xorbb) and this seems to be the only spawned point left for minotaur collection. fun
  2. Talif Augur

There's one of those on each side of the Xorbb zone (both near the cave entrances). Good times.
  3. Tegila Augur

only took a day for them to all respawn here too, they were all over yesterday and this morning, now all gone
  4. Riou EQResource

They were probably put in before Xorbb invisible walls got moved in ; /
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Uxtalzon Augur

The giant crystal in Shard's Landing is now upright (as opposed to being slanted for a month). The collectibles that used to spawn on it were retrievable sometimes spawned INSIDE the crystal (using mount and tricky ramming into chunks to click on them), but now you can't climb the crystal and the pieces are still spawning in the same place, now deep inside and impossible to get. <triplefacepalm.jpg>
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Dalrek_MM Elder

on our server its impossible to complete the following:
    Fear in Pieces (Shards Landing): poof when you try to pick up near big crystal
    Signs of Madness (Shards Landing): poof when you try to pick up spawns on top of huts in outcast village
    Death isnt easily undone (Chapterhouse): only spawns left on top of torches. poof when clicked
    A faerie fun party (Kael): No spawns up near drunken faeries. rest of spawns near arena poof when clicked

wtb: zone resets or spawns the reset after a while
  7. Fenthen aka Rath

The massive amount of collectibles stashed away in Chapterhouse is awesome.
  8. Augur Developer

Hey everyone,

First of all, my apologies for taking so long to get you a response on this issue. I totally understand how frustrating it is to have the items slip right through your fingers and disappear into nothingness right when you think you've got it. This is the most critical issue for Collections, and we're working to get to the root of what's causing this bug ASAP.

I am very excited about Collections and want to expand them into every zone we do, so solving this problem is top priority for me personally.

Because we suspect it's a larger issue with groundspawns in general, it's taking longer than I know most of you would like. Our initial investigation seems to indicate that it's related to the z-coordinate of the spawn, but we're waiting to confirm the (probably larger) source of the problem before we go through and manually change thousands of spawn coordinates.

There are a few spawn points that are unreachable, especially by those silly short races, and reporting them here will help me find them and update them as quickly as possible. Providing the zone name, rough coordinates and screenshot would be ideal.

However, many of the coordinates (including those on the Chapterhouse doorways) are not unreachable, they're just challenging to reach--which I like. Many can be reached by hopping along furniture to get higher or zooming your camera into third person and rotating it while your character stands as close to the spawn point as it can. Gnomes may even have to jump, but life has never been easy for them.

Please continue to provide your feedback here for the Collection system, and to report bugged coordinates. I want to get those fixed as quickly as possible. I'll monitor this thread going forward as well to make sure I communicate much more frequently with you all on this issue.

Thanks!
    Leerah and Liliana like this.
  9. Elizabeta Augur

I tried the camera moving around bit, and spent 15 minutes at one spawn. I twisted, i turned, i did the macarena... bzzt! could not click on it at all. A rare few may be able to climb items in other rooms and get there before drifting down, but i would suspect that a majority of players tend to sink to the ground while levitating.
  10. Caudyr Augur

Not possible to do the sinking bit in CH anyway, as you drop like a rock the moment you jump from something. :p
  11. artofnoise Augur

Augur, a comment that may or may not help. Apologies if this is unrelated.

You talk about potential z-coord issues and it reminds me of the odd problems I see when push-rooting mobs. This is linked to the code that determines if an NPC can get to you. If it decides "no" then they instantly warp on top of you from wherever they were.

Perhaps these things are unrelated, but in case it is, just try using push roots a bunch of times moving around in places like the far eastern lizard camp in Feerrott. Sometimes backing up against a tree/stump while levitating will trigger this. Other times it is just a random coordinate you are standing on that will trigger root failures and NPC warps until you take a step.

Does this sound at all related to what you are dealing with? If not, just file these notes away for another time.

GL with the debugging :)
  12. ieaien_bertox Journeyman

1crystal near SL crystal.
    [IMG]
  13. Talif Augur

I've done that with the CH doorways. Finally managed to get the right combination to click on one of them and it poofed (Inventory window opened, nothing on cursor). I don't mind literally jumping through hoops, but having it disappear after 10 minutes of screwing around made me unlikely to try again until we get notice that the issue is fixed.
  14. Augur Developer

Morning update: We believe we've found the core issue causing the item-poof problem and have developed a solution for it. We're pushing the fix to our internal testing server to see if it resolves the problem today. If it works, we plan to include it in the next live update, which will probably be next Wednesday.

I'll keep you updated on how the internal testing goes this week.
  15. Augur Developer

Are you sure you performed the macarena in the right order? I'm sure I built that in as the secret cheat code to unlock all collection items.
    On a more serious note, I will be doing a full pass on every single collection spawn point after the bug fix is implemented as a gnome with no levitate spells. If it's unreachable (like this one you mention), it will be moved. Some spawn points should be challenging to reach, but none of them should be impossible for even one character.

I don't know enough about the internal workings of the code to say for sure whether or not this is related, but it sounds like it could be. I'll pass this along to our coders working on the issue who would have a lot more insight into this.

I totally agree. It quickly kills enthusiasm for collecting and would be completely unacceptable to leave it this way. It's not a bad idea to wait on pursuing tough-to-reach collection items until this fix comes in. I will definitely provide an update here when the bug is fixed on live.
  16. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Most of the CH doorway ones are reachable, but the one in the southernmost room cannot be clicked as it spawns inside the wall. Spawns near -447.73, 579.43

Other than that, all of the Kael collections that spawn on chairs and in the campfires should be looked at as many of them spawn inside the geometry of the chair/campfire and cannot be retrieved.
  17. Uxtalzon Augur

Augur, I've tried the macarena, even performing many Quagmire pelvic thrusts, but to no avail. The sparkles still disappear, and for some reason all the female players seem to repel from me at a 200 foot distance. Wat do? :oops:

I might concede that when the collection spawns are fixed, it'll become too easy because they seem to respond instantly the moment one is picked up elsewhere. Even IF 70% poof on click, I still completed several sets through sheer effort (also I modified my gnome-made Cute Girl Radar XI2000 to focus more on sparkles). Might I suggest some delayed respawn on them? /duck
    Pirlo likes this.
  18. Syylke_EMarr Augur

More importantly to me... any word on fixing the Augment reward so that it is usable?
  19. CaptAmazing Augur

Yeah, No. Two months of annoyance have gone by and now you want them to add another issue?
  20. Filatal Augur

I don't have specific locs, but to give you an idea of some of the places you should pay attention to when testing these out from my experience ( may be more )
    Shard's: Pieces of Fear, spawns near big crystal, inside big crystal and on tents seem to poof
    Signs of Madness, spawns on top of huts tend to poof

Breeding Grounds: mostly working well here, but Blessings of the Icewing can spawn inside dragon statues making them impossible to get.

Kael: Just bad, all ground spawn collections either spawn inside geometry eventually or are subject to the "poof on pickup" problem

Chapterhouse: Haven't been back in awhile and early on did fairly well in this zone. Problem is the higher up spawns over doors cause problems for small races. As this is a no lev zone, I find the suggestion we float to them highly suspect

Xorbb: Minotaur Warfare: As documented, eventually all spawns wind up outside the zone boundary. Others seem to be working ok when I tried recently

EW: Mostly seem to be ok, haven't had any bad experiences

Eviltree: Nature's Candy - lots of problems in the canopy area

Grelleth: Haven't personally run into too many problems here.

Crystal Caverns: Not too bad, there is one spawn point for, I think, Gross Popsicles that is in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall where there are several tentacle mobs and a quest mob. Recently, there were about 8 spawns stacked on each other and all poofed. Not sure if the zone crashed or what, but when I was there last night ( Bristlebane server ) there were only 3 spawns that poofed and I was able to find spawns elsewhere.

My last comment brings up a thought about the collections. While it would be nice to have it so there were no bugged spawns, even one missed bugged spawn location can eventually cause a slow drain condition where eventually every spawn filters into the bugged location. Is it feasible to code it so that shinies can not spawn in a location where another shiny already exists? While I admit it was fun to grab 2 or 3 at once on occasion, I would give that up in order to be able to find them at all later.
    Augur likes this.