Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordoro New Member

There are no command to “/autobotmode on” that does what you listed, it’s a list of what you CAN do using plugins and macros that PEOPLE have created outside of gg. Besides that wiki is controlled by the users and anyone can edit it. Most of the posts in that wiki does not reflects official positions on how people should or should not use gg.

Just because a software has the ability under the right circumstances to do something doesn’t mean you have to do it. You CAN use Microsoft Excel to execute viruses, but that doesn’t mean everyone uses it for that purpose. And it doesn’t mean Excel was created for that purpose just as gg wasn’t created for unattended (ab)use either.

Nowhere in that wiki does it state that you are forced to control your characters under those premises.
    Instead of speculating and guessing and say “probably” why not get actual facts?

Download gg, and go ingame, attack something with your rogue and u will quickly discover that there is absolutely no unattended ai that will do stuff like that for you unless you specifically configure it to do it or issue controlled commands to do so.

People HAVE the ability to create macros and whatnot and tweak settings etc to help a char drag corpses or stick to a mob but to sit here and say that gg is used in this or that way is just absurd, people can use gg to box in a perfectly fine and legal manner without using macros that automate things like you cherrypicked.

I know plenty of people that just use gg for the ui enhancements while they play fully manual.

Besides why are we even talking about gg still? This discussion is not about gg, it’s about a sinister hack program that I can’t name or link to that contains serious hacks like warp and all manner of crap in it. Stuff that IS enabled by default and it’s only use is for gaining an unfair advantage and grief people. It works on truebox while gg does not.
    Adrienna likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It was from a list of popular plugins that "Game Genie" supports, it was linked on the official "Game Genie-wiki". you are welcome to ask Eqmule to make a "Game Genie light" that only supports "slotcolors" and other cosmetic features, if you want. I would not complain about that...
    There is a reason the in-game macro-functionality is limited to 5 lines...

Or better yet, ask for features here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...wishes-and-dreams-what-would-you-want.246367/ Just to see what features the devs want in their game...

Im in no way downloading Game genie(or try it out in any way), as I suspect that will get me banned. I just go by what the wiki says...

I don't care about stuff that is only relevant for truebox servers, I want botting and hacks gone from all the servers(they are welcome to make a prison-server that allows it though)
  3. Lordoro New Member

No one forces Microsoft Excel users to download or use the features of it that allows for execution of virus code either.

You are free to just use slotcolors if that’s what you like. There are no active hacks that comes with core. If you are stupid enough to download or force it to do stuff you don’t agree is legal, don’t download or activate those features then. Gg is plugin based u will have to pick what suits your specific morality and then take responsibility for YOUR choices.

If you create a program that people misuse in some way you possibly couldn’t prevent since the very same functionality is also used for legit reasons, is it your fault or theirs?
    (It is their fault, and that’s the reason why this discussion should focus on bad features instead of specifically point finger at gg)
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think you misunderstand me. I want the option for cheating to go away too, and I want DBG to tell people how to play or not play.
    You know, "rules".

Allowing third party software that gives people the option to cheat, is still a recipe for disaster. Call me cynical, but I don't trust the playerbase THAT much! :p
    Ghubuk likes this.
  5. Lankie Augur

So you want Microsoft Excel banned to remove the option of hacking? Good to know I can skip over your posts from now on.

They already said multiple times Game Genie is fine to use. If you don't agree with it, stop playing.
    Adrienna and Lordoro like this.
  6. Lordoro New Member

Lankie gets it. There are plenty of legit applications that people abuse. From a coders perspective this is unavoidable, you can’t code for stupidity, there will always be people who will try to bypass things and push the envelope... gg is full of code to prevent warping for example, yet people has managed to bypass that but that’s on them.

If you want to make GINA take some kind of action after an alert is played, you CAN create a version of it that does that,.. if I where to release such a addon for it, should we also ban GINA?
  7. AlmarsGuides Augur

I have guides on my website that talk about two of the main Third Party Programs that people use to help themselves box in EQ.

https://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/

I've emailed Daybreak twice about my guides, asking if they wanted me to take them down. When I first wrote them and announced that I used these two programs almost a year ago now and this past Thursday when they made this thread.

If Daybreak didn't want this program in their game they'd have asked me to take the guides down to prevent the "spread" of people from using that program. Using it won't get you banned, if it did then I wouldn't be here talking to you right now. It really is as simple as that.

I know that you and many other people in this thread disagree with a lot of the aspects the program can do, but all that matters is the truth and what Daybreak allows and doesn't allow. I would feel sick to my stomach if I knew that advice I gave to people resulted in the loss of their accounts. So far not one person has complained to me saying that they've been banned since this thread went up or since they started using a third party program. As stated before, Daybreak has not told me to take down my guides that talk about how to setup the LEGAL third party programs.

I would happily take them down in an instant if Daybreak requested I do. This is their game, their rules and I will follow them whether I agree with them or not.

So, I'm sorry but we're all following the rules - you're one of the few people that "feels" like we aren't.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If the GINA developers does not immediately address whatever hack you used to make that work, then yes, they should temporary ban GINA, until it was taking care off. There has previously been patches that broke GINA support, and the game survived.
    The integrity of the game is more important than a single addon.

With DBG's vagueness regarding rules, I don't blame people for getting confused(im confused myself). I really hope DBG can clear it up.
    There are way too many "grey areas" for my taste. I actually do hope that DBG understands that their silence is partially to blame, and doesn't do anything too drastic. I hope DBG gives people a chance to adjust their playstyle, once the confusion has cleared up. In the very long run that will be best for the game.
    It is clear that some people are using certain addons in good faith...
    It might reduce the number of accounts, but it might increase the number of players instead...

EQ is actually a great game, even without addons at all. :)
    (No im not saving all addons should be banned, just that EQ is not that reliant on addons)
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

God, just shut up already. There is no such version of Gina. You don't have to mindlessly reply to every post someone makes. Just wait for Daybreak to post the what you can do / can't do.
    Lordoro and Jumbur like this.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, I got caught up in the heat there. Gina just analyzes the /log-file in realtime, and nothing else...
    sorry about that...:oops:
  11. Lordoro New Member

Lol I give up, GINA devs would take care of that? Pfft how on earth would they do that? It’s an addon... they don’t control addons for it or the use of them...
    Microsoft is one of the biggest companies with unlimited resources and they couldn’t stop Excel virus executions...

And to comment on your “it might reduce blah blah” I’m 100% sure a company like dbg who actually run a business wouldn’t risk it on a guess, they have actual numbers to take into account, now banning GINA wouldn’t have the same kind of impact as if all boxing software users where banned, far from it, but it illustrates how much of a fanatic you are if you really would be willing to hold it’s devs accountable for what others do to/with their software.
  12. AlmarsGuides Augur

I personally would not play World of Warcraft without Addons for that game, much like I wouldn't play Everquest or Asheron's Call without Addons either.

I agree with you that DBG is vague about their rules but most game companies are. You can't find Blizzard saying anywhere that they allow Addons in their game (i've actually searched for quite a bit looking for just 1 confirmation and came up empty handed)... But yet I don't know a single person who plays WoW without them.

Also I sincerely doubt Daybreak will clear things up with their announcement about what is allowed and what is disallowed. You'll almost always be able to take an inaccurate reading of the Terms of Service and misinterperate as true. The Phinigel FAQ is a great example of this, as you pointed out earlier in the thread.

Arguing with people on this thread won't get you the answers you're looking for Jumbur. Watch what happens over the next few weeks, watch who gets banned and who doesn't. Then use that information to make your decision on what's allowed and what isn't. It's what many of us did when Daybreak made Phinigel.
    Adrienna and Lordoro like this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not against all boxing software, im just against software that allows botting/automation and hacks.

You are probably right. :)
  14. WhatWiz New Member

I know a lot of people that use game genie to run multiple accounts in their normal everyday play. They're nice people willing to help anybody that needs the help they can give. They're paying for multiple subs, expansions, krono, and Daybreak Cash which puts money into Daybreak's pockets to keep this game running. EverQuest is dying a slow death, banning everyone for 3rd party apps will just hasten its demise.

The problem isn't these people, its the ones that use game genie to operate a full group (or more) unattended 24/7 or ones that use active hacks. Those people are disruptive to the game and should be banned. I've had people warp right on top of mobs I was killing. I reported them, they disappeared.

The concept of a prison server won't work. People aren't gonna give up the friendships that they've developed over the past 20 years to move to a server that will allow game genie, etc. They'll keep playing the way they've played until they get banned. Once they're banned, their friends will most likely leave since they have fewer options. Then the friends of their friends will leave.

Mass banning works in other games like WoW, because it takes less than a week or two to get back to where you were before the ban. There is no long term investment in a character there, like there is in EverQuest. The trickle down effect of mass bannings in EverQuest reach way beyond just getting rid of the "cheaters".

But, let's just ban them all. Put the game out of its misery quickly and painlessly instead of dragging it out for another 3-4 years with lackluster content, constant nerfs, and broken game play. But hey, we have "improved algorithms!" That will solve all of EverQuest's problems. :rolleyes:
    Metanis and Lordoro like this.
  15. menown Augur

What is the incentive to use game genie over is-boxer? Is it because it is free? Just curious. I don't use either. I just have my bard auto-follow my necro.
    Lordoro likes this.
  16. jordune Augur

I can attack a mob with my roque and watch her backstab the entire fight without me pushing backstab Once.
    That’s In eq already!!
    It’s /autoskill backstab
    Lordoro likes this.
  17. Lordoro New Member

That’s like asking what the incentive is to use an iPhone over android, there is no good answer, just preference, both apps can successfully help you control multiple characters while attending although some people claim gg is easier to setup. (Iphone is easier to use than android btw, yeah I went there, let’s derail this thread even more, go android fan bois, go!)
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Ok... you need to shut up too. They're wildly different and you know it. Quit trying to blur the lines...
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Ghubuk like this.
  19. Lordoro New Member

Not vastly different at all, both are based on the EXACT same code base. Telling people to shut up is just desperate and make you look like you ran out of valid arguments.
  20. Intenso Augur

flip the switch and sun set eq then I dare ye
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.