Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Lets not do the "personal attack-thingy", Im actually impressed how civilized people have been discussing this so far(its a very sensitive topic after all). It would be a shame if they had moderate it or lock it, before we get the official DBG-statement. :)

Ill try to behave too, I promise!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

I box 6 accounts and enjoy it immensely. All this thread proves is that after nearly 20 years they still won't actively police their playerbase. There have always been jerks that ruin it for the rest of us. And this latest thing could probably be solved by a few GMs spending the time to observe and then ban the handful of holes causing the trouble. It has always been so. And they'll wield the big ban hammer like using a B-52 to take out the little girl's illegal lemonade stand on the corner.
    Adrienna likes this.
  3. Levy Journeyman

It seems like you're assuming that because that is a feature everyone abuses it and that is one of the problems. People assume because you use the program you obviously do things like warp and afk "bot". The people on my server am well aware of what I do and use, and often ask for my help. I am happy to provide it both because it usually provides a challenge for me and helps people on a lower population server that may not be able to get the help they need.

There are always exceptions to the rule and people who abuse it, and I think most people, even those who use the software and don't do these things like afk play and warping, can agree that they are detrimental and not be allowed. The vast majority of the population that uses the program does not do those things. Even people who only play one or two accounts use it and you'd never be able to tell.

GMs have come by people using the program over the past few years and assuming they respond to tells and are actually at the keyboard, the GMs go on their way. There is little sense in "pausing" as they very clearly can see if you're using the program. If you do some searching you can see what the EQ client searches for in terms of .dlls and programs running.

I'd also like to comment on how well this discussion has gone too. Both in terms of the discussions had as well as people who use the software coming out to explain their side. I think this is probably a first (and maybe DBG's intent). We don't have to agree and likely never will fully, but I've learned a lot just participating and reading the comments.
    Adrienna likes this.
  4. roth Augur

I’ll agree that you can BOX without using the BOT software. In fact, I even stated earlier in this thread that I two box, using two separate computers, one running one accountthe other running the other. So I am offended at the implication that I use the botting software you are championing so hard.
  5. Raptor_Shadowz New Member

You will never see an "Official statement" from DBG on this topic, their stance needs to remain fluid to be able to take action on current and potental future 3rd party programs.

Again, you rent their service, you are a guest in their world, when you visit your neighbor do you wipe your boots on their couch? You would be removed from that home and asked to never return. This is Daybreaks "house" you actively come in playing stupid games, you will win stupid prizes.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

According to DBG, they can now tell...

And roxxlyy's last post in this thread hinted that they are at least trying to clarify the rules regarding cheat-software, that is probably as close as we can get to an "official statement" :)
  7. Ghubuk Augur

And we are supposed to trust that people that use a program with all the various abilities to do some serious cheating are not using them?
    xcitng likes this.
  8. Ghubuk Augur

If the developer of "game genie" was serious about it being just a helpful program with no cheat capability, then it wouldn't have all the other capabilities built into it.
    xcitng likes this.
  9. strongbus Augur

you have been reading this thread right? they are not going name the software that is not alowed. the are going name the actions/gameplay that one is not alowed to use a 3rd party software for.

They can state what can and can't be done by 3rd party and still be able to take action on current and future 3rd party software. Anyone making a 3rd party software will know there is a list of what it and isn't alowed. thus they will know if they make their software able to do what is on the not alowed list its going get people banned.

No matter what happens you always going have people who cheat even without 3rd party software. Go into any low level zone and you fine people in some back area afk while their pets/merc kill mobs for slayer/farming ts stuff.

I have yet to see anyone in here say it should be fine to use a program to bypass game functions such as getting rooted/snared/stunned/mezzed. or wrapping and such.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

from https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service#section10

They know what is running in the background on your computer! :eek:
    They probably already flagged most of the cheaters!
  11. Levy Journeyman

I meant as an outside you wouldn't. In my post I said they are well aware of who's running the software. It's part of the EQ code to search for it.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but they have been able to tell for a long time (years) if you're running the program. It's not something new. If they wanted to it would be a simple thing to ban everyone who has it running while playing. They also specifically search for the piece of the program that allows warping and can tell who's running that. For these reasons, it makes me think their algorithms are specifically focused on players actions they frown upon...i.e. warping, or exping non stop for 72 hours (afk play).
  12. Levy Journeyman

I think the number of posts here from users saying that they don't do that should make you think. These people in my mind clearly don't. No one would come to this website and admit to doing those things knowing it would flag their account. DBG can check my account name from my posts and come watch me in game anytime they want.

I use the software and don't afk bot, or warp and 99% I know who are similar. Out of the many I know who use the software, there is only one who does things like afk/warp. I don't agree with it, but when he gets banned I won't feel bad. I like my accounts and want to keep playing and those are surefire ways to get banned.

I'm playing within my interpretation of their rules with no unattended play. We can argue about the interpretation of the rules, but based on them going out of their way to not name it, and others who have had GMs watch them play while using the program and manually controlling one char and said nothing makes me think it's okay. If DBG comes back this week and says you can't be playing one group while playing one char and the others being played using software assistance then I'll respect their decision, hang my hat up and move on. The new WoW expansion is just a few weeks away.
    Adrienna likes this.
  13. Ghubuk Augur

The thing is, even if you are not warping, afk botting....the fact that you can have toons that are being automatically played for you is a cheat and extremely unfair to those that play fairly.
    xcitng likes this.
  14. Angahran Augur

Question about afk actions.

I've seen devs posting that any action while you are not at the keyboard will get you banned.
    But, then I've seen other devs say that the 'trick' to improve swimming, of swimming into a corner with auto run on is ok. And bards skilling up using /melody is ok.

So, what is allowed and what isn't?

Obviously having the computer play an entire group, pulling, fighting, looting, etc is at one extreme of the bannable list, but how about fishing ? foraging ? other skills ?
  15. Ghubuk Augur

I thought i had seen a dev say those things were NOT allowed if afk.
  16. strongbus Augur

don't think they consider a bard using melody in the GL/gh/pok just to get skill to be cheating.

its for things like getting xp/loot/plat.
  17. Levy Journeyman

It's a game, people shouldn't be forced to play the exact same way as you. If it's specifically prohibited by DBG, I said I'd move on and will do just that but as it currently stands, with GMs coming to watch me play and I didn't get suspended or banned, it seems like it's accepted, even if it isn't outright endorsed by them. Others have had similar encounters with GMs. I'm not sure how you reconcile that.

How do you respond (as someone who boxes 4) to the people who say you should only play one char and say you are cheating and have an unfair advantage who is playing fair by only playing one char even without using the software in question.?
    Grammerpolice likes this.
  18. strongbus Augur

one fact that everyone who hate any use of 3rd party software you have to remember while daybreak can afford to get ride of the real cheaters(those who use wrap or the other real cheats) they can't afford to ban everyone who use the 3rd party software just to control their alts without using anything else.
  19. Angahran Augur

So, it's ok for one class to skillup while afk but not, for example, someone to skillup archery or forage or fishing while afk ?
  20. strongbus Augur

don't know its been a while sense i heard it may have changed. and for archery you need a target to do that. maybe in ggh but don't know if the dummy would work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.