[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and Boxing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by teagray2, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rauven Augur

What features of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] were you using?

I ask this because in 2009 I was using Keyclone to box in World of Warcraft. When I obtained the software it was because Blizzard's policy was that 'One Keypress MUST Equal One Action'. They clarified that this applied to cloning the keypress and that was allowed. In addition the program was used by the devs to box as well. They liked it and so had the policy makers give it the O.K.

Since the program had to be purchased I researched to see if it was allowed in games like EQ and EQ2 to sweeten my small investment (a few bucks, but hey, I'm frugal like that). The policy at that time in 2009 of SOE was that programs like Keyclone were NOT allowed. Cloning keypresses would violate their policy as well as some of the other features of the program.

My advice to you is to pretty just delete the program and go back to using alt tab or play in windowed mode. This way you are satisfying the requirements of being 'at each character' and can avoid suspensions in the future.

I know it sucks and you haven't ever had a problem before. But I have this.. the reason you didn't have problems before is you weren't on a server with as many people before. There's alot of anti-boxers and they will report you. It just so happens a GM investigated. Went through a check list:

1. All moving at the same time
    2. Killing while non-responsive (sent a tell to one of your followers)
    3. possibly using actions at the same time (not sure if you used that feature or not).

That met his requirements for someone botting. But it looks like he knew you were boxing and left the main account go.. and only gave the other accounts a suspension instead of a ban. You got a slap on the wrist pretty much. Bots are usually banned.
    Indrigoth and Elricvonclief like this.
  2. Nocomplaints Elder

If you have played legitimate for any period of time or raided at all you would know about Gina or audio triggers ect. Stop lying and making people feel bad because it won't happen you were using automation got caught.

This game is not hard never has been and this server won't make it suddenly hard. It will bring people together without mercs for while and social aspect back to the game.
  3. IamVero Journeyman

He's suspended. Not banned only for 4 days. You just look stupid.
  4. Arderd and Crowd Augur

I'm not sure people are getting the reason for this.
    It seems clear (as you have admitted it) that you are using 3rd party software, and use it to play several characters at the same time. It's a voilation of the user agreement, end of story. If you want to box: use the EQ client and tab between characters or use different computers, as you are supposed to.
  5. Xanadas Augur

If you think the GM didn't send you a tell, check your eqlog.
  6. Strawberry Augur

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] can run scripts that are hacks. In fact [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is from the same developers who made , EQ's hack program.

Because of that reason, many (not all, but many) [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] users are also hackers. In fact, from the several people who I knew who simply disappeared from the game, where I later found out they were banned for hacking, every single one was an [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] user.
  7. Dalai New Member

Using audio triggers for tells can help notify you if a tell went to an alt, if you have sound turned on for each boxed toon.
  8. calusa New Member

you and all your accounts shout have been banned, they should ban your IP and MAC address too, and pay a private investigator to track your every whereabouts to ban whatever connection you are using you SCUM BAG
  9. Strawberry Augur

All 4-6 man multiboxers care about is power, they want to move the fastest they can through the game. So getting banned for 4 days probably made him upset, otherwise he wouldn't have made a thread.

As for the OP, serves you right for trying to cheat. If you can't play the game how it was meant to be played, without some shady programs, then you deserve all the bans they throw at you.
  10. Amadagu New Member

A suggestion. First let me say I used to box to the point I was paying for 6 accounts back in EQ after POP. I don't bot at this point nor will I. Not because I think it is wrong (its a good debate point) but rather because I am not going to pay 90 bucks to play solo in an MMO. I offer this just so you know my point comes from actually doing something.

The best thing for you to do is use the video feature of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and have monitors of the chat. I have had GM's in original EQ send me tells and I responded from my main, then moved over to the bot. The GM just wanted to make sure It wasn't running a program to "automate" all actions. I explained I was using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. The okay was given because I was responsive and taking action on each. Clearly this doesn't help your current situation, but something for the future. Your four days I am sure are allowing the opportunity for you to respond and discuss.

If the boxing community (again not getting into the debate on right/wrong) wants to be respected as a skill and playing the game their way, you need to make sure you cover your own rear end. That is what you failed to do. Also to get the perceptual issue under control I suggest the following:

Move away from open areas. Take on the parts of the game that specifically need groups. Remove your bots in known camp spots to become part of the community.

This will sound like I am doing this for the non botters when actually I am trying to help you.

~Amadagu of Unconquered
    Original Tunare/Drinal server Unkept Druid
  11. Ultrazen Augur

How long do you think your game is going to last, when people paying 6 times more per month than you do are gone? Anyone that thinks this is good for the longevity of the game needs to re-think their position.

I've had that happen to me once a while ago when I wasn't even boxing. Missed a few tells from a GM because I was embroiled in something in guild chat or whatever, it's easy to do, even on a single account. With all the interface spam that goes on in this game, missing a tell from a GM as grounds for a ban is pretty ridiculous. Have the GM appear in the game world in front of me, I'll probably notice that. This is especially true with all the current box hate, and how many spam/hate tells people probably get on a daily basis. If I was boxing on the TLP, I'd probably have tells assigned to a closed window.

Keep up the warpath on the people that are paying the most money per month to keep the game you love going....see where that gets you. People are lucky this game hasn't been closed long ago, getting rid of major sources of income for DBGs is not the brightest idea.
  12. Banuvan Augur

Paying the most money doesn't give people the right to take away gameplay from others.

I'd also be curious to see how many of those people playing on the TLP with multiple box accounts already had a sub more than 1 month prior to the server openinig and if they were active.

Is the money coming from people who were already playing or new accounts being activated? Do trends show that new accounts will stick around and should be thought of for the future or are they a 1 and done type of thing that will be gone in a month? How many people who are boxing 5-6 accounts are actually boxing or are they botting which will result in suspensions and/or bans in the future causing lost revenue?

These are just a few questions that have to be asked before anything is taken into account. If you can't answer those questions with actual facts ( internal numbers from DBG perhaps? ) then you shouldn't say a thing about money or cost effectiveness for DBG.
  13. teagray2 New Member

This is wrong. The account I pulled on wasn't suspended. So they obviously new I was on that one actively pulling.
  14. teagray2 New Member

Definitely wasn't me, ever time I saw trains coming. I was up and outta area. Never had even one toon died to trains.
  15. teagray2 New Member

Again. The account I was driving from didn't get suspended. So obviously I wasn't botting.
  16. strongbus Augur

they are not going send the tell to the one where pulling on. They are going send the tell to the accounts they think are being botted. That is what got those accounts suspended. You didn't answer back any tells on them. The GM sent tells to the ones he/she though where the box/botted accounts. If you had answer back the GM would have said ok have a nice day boxing. But sense you didn't answer back and the GM saw them move/cast then its game over there is proof of botting.
  17. Symbius Augur

Simple AT's for your boxes will inform you of /tells you receive on your boxes.

Set that up and you'll probably never have to worry again.
  18. Kalipto Augur

OP - You're cheating. Using a 3rd party program ([Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]) to automate the game play of your 5 other characters is cheating. Duh... stop pretending it's not. You got a warning. You were lucky it was just a warning and not a flat out ban.

Better stop cheating now or you'll probably lose your main.
  19. Rauven Augur

You were not botting. That's why you were suspended on the slave accounts and not the main account. Had you been botting on any of the accounts all 6 would have been banned.

Like I said.. you met the requirements of a checklist, the GM made a discretion call. Is this guy breaking the rules? According to the checklist.. yes. Is he botting? No.. then give him a suspension for using third party software.

You were punished for what you were doing. They want you to keep playing which is why they suspended and didn't ban. But they don't want you to use the third party program, so you got a suspension.

You have to decide if you can play without the third party program or not. If not, then time to hang it up. If you keep playing. Then you'll just have to tab to your boxes.

Just so you don't get defensive to that statement I want you to know that I am not against botting. I am against what caused botting which is the decline of the community and the ease of which the content can be blazed through by using a /follow command to make it happen. In otherwords, I'd prefer if the game was set up so that boxers never needed to box in the first place. But able to have fun the fun on one character that they have with 2, 3, or 6 now.

Its a pipe dream. I know. But I'm not content with just banning boxing. It doesn't fix the problem. People don't box in many other MMORPGs. So its a fix that -can- happen.

But that's a discussion for another topic.
  20. Ziggy Augur

I hate to be mean .. but ...

You have no one to blame but yourself for this. There were tons of threads before the server released about using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. Many of them referenced the EQ2 thread where the Lead GM said you have to enter the commands manually on each characters window. Further, Inner Space is REQUIRED for [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and that program can add extensions for fully automated game play -- It is doesn't matter if you use them or not, just that you could. Its like saying you use a program that reads the data stream but doesn't make use of automation part ..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.