Prison Server Mega Thread

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

2. Truetotheblue Augur

I'm not a dev and I'm not going to go into hypothetically how I would set it up or it would be setup to achieve X, Y, or Z. But you're (to be fair, I am assuming here) not an EQ dev either and don't know the limitations either. I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that the devs wouldn't ask for Krono/No Krono in polling a ruleset if they didn't have more control over it than we as forum posters think they do.
    Benito likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure I am not a dev but I do know that krono are not restricted to any server or game and any krono you can obtain can be used in any game on any server. It would be a big change and likely cause lots of confusion to have krono that now can only be used on a single server in a single game.
  4. Truetotheblue Augur

I 100% agree, it would lead to tons of confusion and cause multiple issues. The original intent was just pointing out you mentioned something as being impossible. I'm just saying there's evidence out there to support that it's likely not impossible. Unrealistic for them to change? Absolutely. Impossible? Neither you, nor I, know for sure.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just to point this out but it does say krono are available on any supported game and making krono only available on a single game/server would violate those terms.

https://www.everquest.com/krono

6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

From EQ2's Drunder Prison Server terms:

CS has the power to remove Krono. I suspect such a power upholds the concept that Daybreak has final say through EULA.
  7. Truetotheblue Augur

Sure, but just like with the changed approach on anti-cheat improvements, they reserve the right to change those terms at any point. 3PS users saying it's been this way forever now wondering why they're getting suspended? Their game, their rules. If they opted to make a change and add restrictions it's just as easy to change those rules. If they're running a new ruleset made after that change takes place, it's just as easy to amend those terms for that new set without running into issues on the old ones. Again, not something impossible to do.
    Benito likes this.
  8. Go Take A Nap Augur

Before something like this was put in place there needs to be a clear , non grey, description of what actions are cheating. For this they would NOT need to name a 3rd party software. They could create a public list of actions that are not allowed.

For example start with the worst offenders:

Warping; we all know this is cheating
    Zone travel commands; more cheating
    Z axis hacks; obviously cheating

Suspensions that could lead to bans from repeat offenders:

Automation while AFK: make sure you have a good system in place to detect afk play.

Example to improve system.
    - Player has been logged in more than average over more than average time frame.
    - Player has had reports of AFK play and also the above has been internally recognized.
    - GM has showed up to investigate and stood in front of the players puller and sent the Group leader(which is often times the main window of any boxers group) a message to find out if he was there or not.

Current system has to many innocent casualties. We live in a distracted world. Gms dont offer a clear way to communicate in game that grab your attention over other game play and they do not wait long enough to decide. As a 6 man boxer I am multi tasking 100% of the time while researching spells, quests, creature info and often distracting myself with the TV while on a long grind. Im worried ill get a message one day and miss it. (its happened in the past , gm sent a tell in say while invisible) How do you protect honest players like me? Why are you being so sneaky about contacting me in game? This system sucks and needs to be improved on. its obvious they have no way to actually detect automation and this is the toughest subject we have in this community atm. Think of ways that you can improve please.

Fill in the rest for each server type and you have a very clear position on what you are allowed to do. Each month examine the list and discuss adding further to it when you feel need. We don't need the lawyer list approach where the rules can be taken many ways. That promotes in fighting and confusion.

Expand the public list of things you cant do over time to include disruptive cheating that is discovered and make sure you have a solid way to detect and execute the policy without false casualties.

This is not a new game or are any of these 3rd party programs new. This company knows well and sure what they want and dont want in the game. Simple name the actions that cause ban, suspension and expand on it over time for each server type. Enforce strict rules and see where it goes from there. Much better solution to what is currently being provided.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  9. Truetotheblue Augur

The AFK checks need to be more complex than just asking someone if they're AFK. You can literally respond to this from Discord and have it be hunky dory. This is setup all over the place on EQE servers and easy enough to operate. If a GM knows someone is 6 boxing you need to have them do things in a time frame that's quick enough to reasonably assure that someone is physically at the keyboard, not frantically trying to pipe them in through their phone.
    Go Take A Nap likes this.
  10. Bardy McFly Augur

Benito likes this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Credit to Truetotheblue for the information.
    Bardy McFly and Truetotheblue like this.
  12. Go Take A Nap Augur

My solution should work.

If a player has been at a certain zone for more than average amount of time over a period of days they are probably botting. Flag the account for unusual activity.

Next step that would warrant a GM intervention is now that flagged account has received a report against it for botting/afk play.

Final step send a GM to check. This stage is most important step and should be improved on in some way. Message group leader AND puller at least, while making yourself visible in their camp.

This will get rid of the worst offenders. Improve on the system further as needed to narrow down against other problem areas.
  13. Bardy McFly Augur

On P99, when a player is accused of multi-boxing the GM will ask both players to do a complex movement concurrently, such as run in figure 8s. Something that a single player would not be able to reasonably do or fudge. EQ GMs can be given the go ahead to do something similar that cannot be fudged by a chat forwarder.

(I really am trying to help you guys)
  14. Truetotheblue Augur

It's something that needs to be random and unpredictable, and the list needs to be long. Stuff like this is good. But needs a lot more. Make it predictable I guarantee a script or a plugin comes out for it within weeks.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Remove, not limit any krono to that server.
  16. Bardy McFly Augur

Benito likes this.
  17. Bardy McFly Augur

Oh I know it can't just be that. Just getting the mental gears going in the conversation.
  18. Bardy McFly Augur

And if you guys are looking for a Krono solution, any Krono on the account at the time of banishment is converted to a currency only usable on the banishment server. Not just plat, as the value of that fluctuates - rather a new "banishment" currency. There should be nothing legally against this, since it's better than losing the Krono to an account completely banned from playing. I cannot speak to what legal binding DPG may have, just throwing the suggestion out there rather than full Krono loss.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That server was created for a lot of different things besides cheating with automation.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-prison-server-experiment-drunder.562937/

Would you want to send players there for any rule violation even if it doesn't involve a 3rd party program?
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's crazy that say would be used for AFK checks. I can't fathom how anyone anywhere can consider that acceptable. I have say filtered to a window I don't even look at that gets spam from a bunch of other stuff. I have no doubt there has been a lot of collateral damage from this practice.