Coirnav: Please reconsider the xp rate during Velious

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Kahna Augur

I don't know what sort of god-awful pug you were in but I managed to duo all of 45 in velks in 4 hours. I wasn't even clearing all of frenzy. I could only get through about half of it before there were respawns. It took me 120-ish mobs to get from 45 to 46. That's hardly world ending.
  2. a_librarian Augur

What classes were you using?
  3. Kahna Augur

Ranger and Necro, necro was a little overleveled, carrying the ranger. Still, it was slower than the entryway pug I got the ranger into, and much slower than a decent frenzy group would have been. I was hardly blowing those mobs out of the water. I could kill 4, maybe 5, before the necro had to med back to full, so 4 minute downtime.
  4. snailish Augur

Slow(er) XP rates don't get in the way of some players. It does discourage some to many depending on how slow. Most progression players aren't "smelling the roses" from 1 to cap, they want to do end-of-expac content.

How fast would XP have to be for people to complain? In the short window of progression eras, especially once AA come along --I think it would be a very fast rate to actually have negative consequences (full slate of alts leveled and AAed less than halfway through an expac would still leave raids for those players... now if an often barely able to play person like me is able to max an alt in era you have probably set the XP too high.)
  5. Dahaman Augur

I'm one of those people that are "smelling the roses". XP is only a secondary consideration for me. I'm always working on a goal first. XP just comes as it does. I'm only level 55 and have ~18 more weeks to hit the current level 60 level cap.

Before Coirnav, I thought that the XP rate should increase by about +20% to the base rate per expansion release. I proposed that should extend all the way up to Live rates. I still believe that. It matches somewhat with the planned increases, except it's finer in implementation. As it is, the XP rate does increase over specific expansions (Gates, DODH, TSS), but at a far, far coarser rate.

The next XP rate increase for Coirnav is the Gates expansion... 26 to 30 weeks away? That's quite a chunk of time. We are just about halfway there.

Autogranting AAs on progression servers (3 to 4 expansions old AAs?) will be an additional boon to the effective XP rate in the far future. It won't help leading edge characters by a large amount, but alts will really benefit from it.

6 weeks until AAs are available... huzzah!

One final comment, the "XP/Time Rate" today is far, far faster now than when Coirnav first opened. XP/Mob is the same, but gear has vastly accelerated kill speed. Luclin will soon give a huge boost to mana dependent classes via AAs and the introduction of mana regen items.

The XP Rate is definitely getting faster.
  6. FIsh Lips Augur

Reality check. The XP sucks, anyone who says otherwise is an obvious troll, or someone making money from the situation. Even Agnarr post 55 (pre-PoP) was a slog, Coirnav just adds insult to injury.

However, the beneficiaries of the slow XP are DBG and that guy with a near permanent residence in velks, who charges 3kr/hr for PL services. Until this equation changes, mostly by voting with our dollars, XP on this and any future server is going to suck.
    mattie diesel likes this.
  7. Risiko Augur

You can expect 4 hours per level in the current higher levels on Coirnav. It's not insurmountable, but it is a deterrent for the average player for sure. I hope you stick in there. Once you hit max level, the real game begins.
  8. mattie diesel Journeyman

This is the harsh truth and all we really need to know. When have they ever chose our preferences over an advantageous position for business? Not saying we shouldn't ask or complain, or even quit for that matter. It comes down to how much you're willing to put up with. Suck it up and play despite the problems that don't change, play elsewhere, or don't play?

I don't feel as much of this heat because I actually prefer content-lock, so I spend the vast majority of my time on Agnarr, but to those of you on coirnav, you've gotta see things for what they are and just make a choice about where you want to commit your most thorough playing experience. Have a good one, adventurers.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Sounds awful. Five hours with that group? A "regular" experience group would probably take twice that long. Glad I left Coirnav behind before Kunark.
    Trevalon, Jontrann and oldkracow like this.
  10. Delphwind Augur

Outside of ToFS, the dervishes that spawn around the tower. Take a small group (2-3 people tops) and mass slaughter them. Each kill will be anywhere from .5% to 2% depending on your level. They have low HP and damage, so your goal is to kill them without ANY downtime, you should be able to kill them within 20 seconds each tops. After level 32, depending on your gear, it will be better to solo them, as long as you don't have ANY downtime.

Full groups are not the way to go in these levels at all, the XP that is taken from a group is absurd. Form a group of 2-3 people that can DPS and self sustain.

For this to work you will need your DPS to be geared, if you are running around in full bronze armor and a fine steel sword, don't expect this to work.
  11. Trevalon Augur

Sucks so bad. I REALLY want to play EQ again. While it was nice to take some months off since Agnarr, I am feeling the itch pretty hardcore as WoW is pretty meh as always. I just know I cannot do that EXP rate again...its so bad and it discourages alts which makes the game even worse.

Please daybreak reconsider. Remember when Agnarr exp came out, there were almost NO complaints about it. No long posts with tons of pages, no outrage, people were just happy and had fun. Just use the Agnarr EXP rate. Even with faster EXP everyone STILL used Pots because everyone wants to go even faster. Me and all my friends want so badly to resub to EQ if it was at all reasonable to level characters on Coirnav.

Ugh, just so frustrating to want to play a game but have such a barrier to entry to play it. Frustrating!
    FIsh Lips and Jontrann like this.
  12. Wuvarien Lorekeeper

XP is awful... Is there a boost with Luclin?
  13. Febb Augur

The first experience boost doesn't happen until Gates of Discord.
  14. Zinkeh Augur

Kind of a shame, really. The community on Cor was pretty decent. The exp rate is just a deal-breaker. I made the mistake of coming to the server right before that nice long double exp event. After that it was just tedious as hell to level. Leveling is one thing, but I sure as HELL don't want to grind out 1k+ AA's with this ridiculous exp rate. I've not been on in about a month and a half and I honestly don't miss it. I couldn't say that about Agnarr.

The content comes out way too fast for how slow the exp rate is. You end up playing significantly more time than even back in the day due to the rapid-fire release of content.

Hopefully the 20th anniversary server is nice. I'd really like to play eq as a class I've not played previously...but these days I want to PLAY eq and not punch in for a second job.
  15. Zapsos Augur

As someone who've already been there on Phinny: You are exaggerating - No class has 1k AA's pre OoW, most get ~650 total in Luclin + PoP... and if you disregard the "Innate Charisma" quality one's you can cut that by a lot.

Sure, only the most hardcore will have Max AA at the end of Luclin, but most even 'semi serious' players will be AA capped long before the end of LDoN when you've had 6+ months since the last AA increase.

If anything, I miss the days of XP meaning anything beyond the first few weeks of an expansion...
  16. Aegir Augur

AA's were suprisingly fast to grind compared to normal exp gain on Phinny at Luclin.
  17. Machentoo Augur

While this is true, you also get some much higher ZEM zones in Luclin and PoP that help out a lot.
  18. Dahaman Augur

Do you have an estimate on how fast AAs were in comparison to normal XP?

In ye olde days, an AA was supposed to be as fast as the XP gain at level 51. Then they changed that. Then the added in a 1000% faster gain if at 0 AAs. Etc. I'll find out firsthand in 3 weeks how fast an AA is I guess. This is just a curiosity question at this point.
  19. Machentoo Augur

There were several different versions of the low AA bonus, and it seems we get them progressively over time at roughly the correct expansions. You won't get any of those during Luclin. However, as others have noted, the aaxp rate is higher than you'd expect. It seems that perhaps the server XP penalty only applies to regular xp.
  20. FIsh Lips Augur

Each AA requires less xp than a level. However you need quite a few AAs to unlock anything useful. So it's a synthetic feeling of achievement, versus actual value.

Just let them kill this server off from apathy.