Paladin future needs

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Redemption, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Wulfhere Augur

Hours of empirical play testing.... last posted here (Hi Dzarn!)

Paladin aggro questions
    Outlander Engine and Seldom like this.
  2. Wulfhere Augur

Please see my previous post linking to an older thread that you and others here participated in.
  3. Repthor Augur

Wish paladins all the best gettin all the things. Then sks getting all the things, then insert any class getting all the things. Then to get them taken away when the devs discover what they done.
  4. p2aa Augur

You say seem to say that the hate mod attached to valiant healing produces AE hate in your testing. But there is nothing in the description that speaks of AE hate. So is that a non intended effect of the spell ? Makes no sense that this spell produces AE hate from the description of it.
  5. Outlander Engine Elder

It should produce AoE hate, in the sense that (almost) all heals produce hate on all mobs who see it. Sort of the same as runes. Since this spell *also* has a hate over-ride to it, then it should most certainly produce healing AoE hate.
    Seldom likes this.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

Dzarn, are you implying that a bash can stun even though it misses?

I've seen plenty of mystery interrupts in my logs to validate your statement and I think I've seen stun resist and shakeoff messages too, when no bash or kick landed. I think a bash/kick that misses should neither stun nor interrupt.

Related note: I see that Shadowknights also get Immobilizing Bash AA so they're hurting from that too. Only Paladins get both SPA 231 AA lines and suffer the most impairment to their tanking ability as a result of NPC swing mechanics.
  7. p2aa Augur

Ok, so if the spell is fixed so that you produce 100 % AE hate, it will be a new powerful AE aggro disc, 6 sec recast of 7 k AE aggro. Congrats on becoming the second best tank in AE aggro power after SK.
  8. taliefer Augur

this would be the one change id make to eq if i could. Barbarians were created by Mith Marr, never understood why they are locked out of being paladins.
  9. Maedhros High King

You do not seem to understand my point. The newer discs were created during the time that SCRM was affecting hybrid disc duration. You can not tell me that the base durations were not set with SCRM extensions in mind. Without SCRM, these discs now no longer last as long as they were intended. This needs addressed.

Ever try to do an exp group and do a lesson burn, but forget to punch the Lesson of the Devoted button before your initial big pull? Try to activate LOTD while youre tanking 6 to 8 mobs and you will understand the handicap that paladins face while tanking 6 to 8 mobs and trying to cast any of our spells. Massive amounts of interrupts. Warriors get instant agro and abilities, so you do not understand where I am coming from.
  10. Ecchicon Elder

I know what you are trying to say here, but it's strikes me as a bad example. Ever try to cast LoTD while tanking even one mob as a warrior...?
    Maedhros likes this.
  11. Maedhros High King

Haha exactly. Thats why some of the paladin abilities and spells could really use faster if not instant cast times.

For a few days during BETA in ROS, the crushes were set to instant cast and it was wonderful. It did not make it to the launch though.
  12. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Paladins should definitely have an instant cast single target aggro spell (not AA) if they don't already.
  13. p2aa Augur

You still seem to complain that warriors get instant aggro and abilities. I'm repeating it.
    Warrior is a pure melee class. It's fully intended that all of our abilities are instant cast.
    Comparing how many instant abilities you have versus a SK is relevant, both of you are hybrid classes.
    Comparing how many instant abilities you have versus a Warrior is dumb.
  14. Allayna Augur

Crush vs. Terror

[55472/10728] Crush of E'Ci Rk. III
    Classes: PAL/110
    Skill: Evocation
    Mana: 1202
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Magic
    Reflectable: Yes
    Trigger Spell DS: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0.5s, Recast: 24s, Timer: 6, Rest: 1.5s
    Hate: 16489
    1: Decrease Current HP by 4490 (If Not Undead Or Summoned)
    2: Decrease Current HP by 6062 (If Undead)
    3: Decrease Current HP by 5388 (If Summoned)

[55361/10727] Crush of the Timorous Deep Rk. III
    Classes: PAL/107
    Skill: Evocation
    Mana: 299
    Resist: Magic
    Trigger Spell DS: Yes
    Casting: 0.5s, Recast: 12s, Timer: 5, Rest: 1.5s
    Hate: 21189
    1: Decrease Current HP by 1131

[55691/13706] Terror of Kra`Du Rk. III
    Classes: SHD/106
    Skill: Alteration
    Mana: 102
    Resist: Unresistable
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 6s, Rest: 1.5s
    Hate: 16263
    1: Increase Hate by 1

[43609/13606] Terror of Narus Rk. III
    Classes: SHD/101
    Skill: Alteration
    Mana: 89
    Resist: Unresistable
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 6s, Rest: 1.5s
    Hate: 13410
    1: Increase Hate by 1

SKs are more mana efficient if they need to terror a mob. Their terrors are also instant cast short recast and can all be loaded. Paladin's have two crushes, loading others lower in the line does nothing, notice the timer 5/6, limits us to 2, SKs could load several if they wanted.

There's your knight to knight comparison.

Kleitus_Xegony likes this.
  15. Outlander Engine Elder

All three tanks need instant cast tools. Both AoE and single target agro. If a tank class relies on a tool to tank, then those tools need to reliably trigger while tanking. That includes while tanking multiples. You cannot balance the tank classes by having one class be weaker or stronger than the others in a tank archetype situation.

SHD have debuffs, taps and agro tools. WAR has mitigation, shouts and agro tools. PAL needs heals, buffs and agro tools that are instant cast and that work reliably.

If the witness check has been buggy it would explain a lot. I've always looked at the PAL group heals as a ghetto agro tool, but it's flakey. You compound the issue because it's reactive. You can't AoE agro/heal until the mob has already smacked your group around. Meanwhile, your group healer is probably on the ball and the PAL group heal ends up just overhealing. It was a frustrating problem.

PAL also needs more smart tools. SHD and WAR both have lots of non-targetable tanking tools. This allows them to tank heads up and not play targeting games (target mob/low health player/self, push button, target back to main assist). PAL target of target heals helps with this, but there's room for improvement.

Combine the cast time issues with the targeting overhead and it becomes a double tax.

I'd recommend looking at the druid Survival group heal line and borrowing the mechanic for their group heals, both casted and proc'd. Have Hand of Piety stack the LoH DI and HoT effects on the lowest party/group member. I'm not sure if the EQ code can 'find' the lowest health group member or not, but it's a suggestion.

You also need to look into PAL utility. With easy access to healing merc's, Clerics and Paladins have both been left behind in the group buff area. Personally, I think you should give them ADPS aura's. Their personal dps is low, let them buff anyone they group with to offset theirs.

PAL is the one tank class that doesn't stack well. Any group with a healer just doesn't need what the PAL brings. And that pretty much means any group.
    Thancra, Seldom and Maedhros like this.
  16. Redemption Lorekeeper

how do you guys like the idea of tank synergies? reasons to have multiple tanks in groups other than just raids. something along the line of shared alliances or overlapping auras.
    not sure what would work yet but i like the idea of getting pals and sks tied a little closer as knights.
  17. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Just an FYI... Our aurora heals fill the most damaged member(s) first and then balance across all damaged players in the group equally until the spell's limit is reached for the amount of healing it does. Therefore, there's obviously a way for the game to do it.
    Maedhros likes this.
  18. Tiggold Augur

Sk's have a hate buff they can cast on others, which is actually pretty crappy to have happen to you if you don't have it blocked already - Paladins need a buff they can cast on someone in group who is grabbing agro that steals the agro they generate and the Paladin uses their Hps to HoT the agro target without having to target that player in combat.
  19. Dreadmore Augur

Can you clarify? Tanks already have synergies that are pretty good for tanking. Well, the knights have runes. I forget what warriors have.
  20. Redemption Lorekeeper

i mean things that would actively encourage grouping with more that 1 tank. like an alliance spell based on the casters class but able to be set off by other tanks or an aura that can change in some way based on the number of other tank classes in a group. something shared in some form across all 3 classes. pally aura= aggro is x. pally with warrior or sk aggro is x+(a) . pally with both is x+(b).
    i dont know how it would work for the other classes as i only play a paladin. maybe it would just be a buff or a disc. i doubt that this specic idea would work but this is the general idea i am trying to convey.
    Dreadmore likes this.