New players - pick a knight if you aren't a boxer

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Time Burner 2, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agrippa Augur

I don't see where I ever said shadowknights are paladins. However, both classes are hybrid offshoots of the warrior parent. And both classes have damaging spells that make up part of their dps. I stand by my statement where I said a warrior should do more *melee* dps than either for that reason.

Defensive stance never should have made it out of beta, for any of us, warriors included. We (all tanks) already have a significant advantage over all of the other classes in wearing plate alone. It's stupid design to have any of use receiving these mitigation levels all of the time. It's going to be a nightmare to tune around. I can't speak for raids, but tanking with a shield equipped in group content is an absolute joke now. The next expansion is going to have to be tuned considerably tougher than prenerf UF undead to even remotely challenge any tank equipping a shield. I enjoyed UF, but we lost a lot of players back then and EQ really afford another mass exodus.
  2. Xanathol Augur

You can stand by it but it won't make it any more intelligent. I'll spell it out yet again... SKs are suppose to be the dps tank - that's a fact, period, end of discussion. If Warriors do significantly more melee dps than SKs, then SKs have to become 'casters who happen to wear plate' to surpass them, when the class is suppose to be a tank who happens to cast. Paladins aren't suppose to surpass Warriors in dps except on undead, so it is not an issue for you. But for SKs, that's a major issue. SKs aren't just suppose to out burn Warriors, but out average them and out sustain them as well. The difference in melee dps between a Warrior and an SK should either be non-existant or small enough that an SK pet & procs equal / surpass them (we've seen both cases throughout the history of EQ).

That's why the notion of Warriors doing meaningfully more melee dps than SKs is non-sensical. And again, why so worried about what 'other' major category a Warrior can have? No other specialty class gets to be strongest among their archtypes in another major category. Clerics are the best healers - they don't get to tank or dps of any significance over druids or shaman. Rogues or Wizards are best in dps and they don't get to heal or tank better than other dps classes with any significance. For some reason, there are some who think Warriors should be the exception here when it is obvious - they should not. What the class should get is downward scaling abilities and utility befitting the class; not another crown to war among the archtype.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

The dogmatism is strong with this one.
  4. Ravengloome Augur

I am highlighting this statement because Clerics can tank and DPS so much better than shaman (pre DOT changes for shaman atleast) that I almost spit out my coffee reading it.

Like you need to group with some clerics that aren't mercs bro, for real.
  5. Brohg Augur

Still a baseless, ridiculous assertion
  6. Mistatk Augur

The stench of ignorance is strong nearby, you sense a trap and disarm it!
  7. Mistatk Augur

This is a fine suggestion but. Take Brace for Impact, one of our nice AA abilities, they are busy nerfing it recently, not pushing warriors stronger. Warlords Resurgence, our self HoT, is so ridiculously small to be a non useful thing. Sure, they could take existing warrior abilities and strengthen them, or create new ones, but I don't see them having any intention to do so. Hence the frustration.
  8. Mistatk Augur

Its fine to say sk are the "dps tank", but thats why copy pasteing warrior mitigation onto them, doesn't make sense how it is setup currently. 1 tank can be the bit better mitigation, and 1 the "dps tank" but right now sk are both. And paladin having warrior strength tanking, plus being the healing tank, is also out of balance.
  9. Xanathol Augur

Eh, I'd say you should meet some of the shammy I know. ;) Non-undead, of course.
  10. Etkillah New Member

Shamans so many people just use them for buffs, or a box for lion and all. I've only met one shaman, who basically went melee with a 2hander, healed with group heals and just went nuts on mobs.
    Was amazing, 2.0, lion, all their melee stuff. Was a chanter, a warrior and him and he made the wizard mercs on burn with chanter adps look like garbage. He healed, slowed/crippled, dps'ed and was doing more dps than most dps classes I get in pugs. Was just amazing, he wasn't just sitting there casting throwing a few dots, healing, some buffs and dogdog. Hell he wasn't even dpsing and a cleric merc healing. He was awesome. I had no idea what a shaman was capable of till he joined the group.

I really believe an amazing player can do amazing things with a class, unfortunately those people are rare but when you meet one, it's just beautiful.
  11. p2aa Augur

Oh Raeall is your friend ? An account that has just been created to insult people.
    Look at his post count and what he posted.
    This kind of post get the same post tone answer.
    You just proved how lame you are by supporting this kind of post directed at others.
  12. Warpeace Augur

Now how did this justify your behavior? You want to cry your a victim if someone does it to you. You seem to be just fine giving out personal attacks but cry like a baby when someone post something you don't like.
  13. Kamea Augur

Funny story.

Yesterday I tanked the last 4 minutes of Anashti with 2H (and obviously no LS), ie, only 5% mitigation the whole time, no shield AC, no shield blocks. Average hit was 25k and I only took 2 rounds over 150k (both were 3+ mins into the 2H tank.) Yes, I did use Dichtomic + anguish BP + bulwark + bravery + brace for impact + everything else that stacks with 2H, but that doesn't last 4 minutes.

...Supposedly knights needed DP because they were getting 1 rounded by bosses.
  14. sojero One hit wonder

And what was your dps, i mean come on now, that's the real thing your trying to get at here!
  15. Xanathol Augur

Curious what his hp and ac were too; funny how they pretend that no longer matters.
  16. sojero One hit wonder

yeah hyper inflated ac with bard etc, chanter runes, wards etc, can do amazing things. But dont derail the real topic, especially for you, what was the DPS!
  17. Kamea Augur

60k for 3:40. To clarify, it was on Anashti #3 / Enslaver. Didn't have any in group aDPS, or bard ac or special enc buffs. Yes, I'm well geared.
  18. sojero One hit wonder

Well, I cannot comment on how hard she hits etc since my guild is still getting flags in t2, love revolving raid forces. If she is like any of the other Anashti raids then she is not the hard part of the raid and generally hits less than comparable tier mobs, but I could be wrong because as I said, haven't done that fight yet.

I can tell you that your dps is higher or as high as than what I can pull over that amount of time without adps as well. I am not the best geared, but I do have the 2h from the anniversary raid, and all AA and rk3 spells, and all raid focuses. That is also loading up 4 life taps (one dicho) and 8 other dots. We did emollis the other day and it was between 4-5 minutes and only had one necro so I was able to use dots. I pulled out 54k over that time. Putting it at around the 3 min mark I would have been closer to 60k.

Edit to add:
    I did use my spell burn (visage of decay + unholy + first spire + gift of quick spear) on the healer unicorns and then melee burn + HT + reinforced malaise on the main boss.
  19. sojero One hit wonder

Did you use offensive or your ac disc? cause if you used offensive id be impressed :)

Also, what is her max hit? As I have said I haven't done that raid, and as Xan asked, what was your ballpark ac/hp?
  20. Kamea Augur

It was without 7th, but I did use a gylph.

Especially for warriors, DPS is much higher if you're burning while tanking, since it includes ripos (I used furious too), (warrior specific) berserk crippling blows (especially during mighty strike), and to a lesser extent, DS damage on your own parse.

I can't can come anywhere near that for that duration (with those conditions) if I'm not tanking, even if I use offensive; which as I've said earlier in the thread, is a very minor DPS boost these days with how crowded that mod is.

I was thinking about using Offensive towards the end as a joke but I used LS during phase 1 so it wasn't refreshed. I ran group ac, and did single ac when not using DPS discs. Offensive is pretty much suicide vs any raid boss, that penalty is just insane in game.

Max hit was 60k.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.