X-Men Dark Phoenix movie

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Helderman Dedicated Player

Five Disney Channel stars as the original X-Men and a random ABC actor as Charles Xavier. Yayhay.
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    [IMG]
    In a strange turn of events, even though the Disney Fox deal is pretty much in the bag and there have been reports of the possible shelving of the film all together. The Quebec Film and Television Council revealed that the studio is heading back to Montreal for 3 months for re-shoots. Some say they're redoing scenes while others say it's the entire third act. So far, its unclear what will be redone but all the main actors from the film, from Jennifer Lawrence to Michael Fassbender, will be heading there to finish filming.
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

That rumor of shelving the movies was proven to be completely false. So yes the movies are still active (well at least one of them is).

Also the deal is moving forward but is nowhere near done or a guarantied thing. It still has to go through many governmental reviews throughout the world and even if approved by all of them, it will be around a year before it's completely finalized and Disney is given access to the FOX properties.

4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wait, what? Why should it need 'many governmental reviews throughout the world'? o_O
  5. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I don't know the full details but many other countries also have their own anti-trust/regulatory laws that the Disney/FOX deal will need to get approval from.
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Butt why? Disney and Fox are US companies, aren't they? So basically some knob of a country could potentially put a kibosh on the deal just because they don't like America or Americans? o_O
  7. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

No. They cant just turn around and say "no, because we just dont want to". There has to be a genuine reason that can be proven with evidence as to why they feel the deal would not be beneficial.

As an example, while all this is going on, Fox has a 49% share in a certain UK based TV company and is trying to buy up the remaining 51%. The UK governments regulatory commitee overseeing this has put a hault to the deal due to a worry over the consequences. The person who owns Fox also currently owns 1 third of the Worlds News channels/papers, and giving this person the UK TV Company at 100% would vastly increase this. They're worried he'd have a monopoly over News and thus theres a conflict of interest. Obviously the Disney/Fox deal "would" change this, but it cant be taken into account. Each deal needs to be looked at individually without outside interference, unless another deal effecting it is 100% done and negates any worries presented. The Disney/Fox deal isnt done and dusted, and it doesnt completely negate the conflict of interest.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thank you, so, it's an Aussie being a dick (it's in their DNA)
    Obviously it's more than that, butt a good ole Aussie-bashing never went amiss :p
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So heres the trailer
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I know they've said there's more of a cosmic aspect to the story, but I'm getting similar vibes to Last Stand, unfortunately. I don't think it's going to be Ratner bad, by any means, but it doesn't look like they're really trying to be terribly different from how they tried presenting the story in Last Stand.
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Cereally? They are going straight to Dark Phoenix? Not doing the hopeful and helpful Phoenix first? And no Wolverine to stop her
    What is this, a WB movie? o_O
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To be fair, in the original story Wolverine wasn't the one to stop and/or save Jean from giving in to Dark Phoenix. It was her relationship with and love of Cyclops that helped her hold on long enough to be stopped. He was involved in the fight against the Shi'ar Imperial Guard to save her and in the attempt to take her down when Dark Phoenix resurfaced, but Cyclops was more directly involved.

That was probably my biggest gripe with Last Stand as they more or less threw Cyclops out of the mix early on in the film. The Dark Phoenix film thankfully looks to be avoiding that, but there's still a huge "Last Stand" vibe that I'm getting from that trailer.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Everyone was talking about "Last Stand", so was referencing that rather than the comics

Unless they finally merge (shoehorn smash) X-franchise into the MCU, there won't ever be a fight with the Shi'ar or any of the other fun things from the comics

They are also avoiding how Jean gains the Phoenix Force in the first place, making it seem like she was born with the power
  14. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Things aren't looking good.

15. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I knew it. Ever since the trailer, I started to get THE LAST STAND vibes. I just question why did they go with the same route all over again. If they wanted to have Jean Grey being affected by the Phoenix force after finally tapping into it since the last film, why didn't they go with the story with Annie Richardson, Jean Grey's childhood friend, who was accidentally hit by a car and killed in front of the future X-Man. The traumatic experience unlocked Jean's telepathic powers, as Jean experienced Annie's emotions as she died which Jean is later left in a withdrawn and deeply depressed state, until she's treated by Professor X.
    [IMG]
  16. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

I'm still willing to give this movie a chance. I think it looks interesting and I hope it will give more focus on Jean than they did in TLS.

In other news, I heard that New Mutants is called off? And so is Gambit and the Kitty Pride movie? So there it goes. The X-Men franchise, which has been going on longer than the MCU, will be left unfinished?
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Considering 'New Mutants' was going to be a horror, good, same with the Chugg'em Tantrum movie (if they were going to do a solo Gambit, use the actor who has already played him, not some wannabe scat-humour boy, he already trashed the legacy of '21 Jump Street')
    This is the first heard about a Kitty Pryde movie

Wow, that car didn't just knock Annie out of her left shoe, it snapped her left foot off (look closely to where Chuck's hand is reaching for Jean, you will see a white bone sticking out of the bottom of Annie's pant leg)
  18. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

So here is the newest trailer for the upcoming film
  19. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Are they going to wrap the whole franchise up with this film? The film had a lot of reshoots, so I imagine they utilized that to wrap it up.

And the director already said Mystique is going to die. Marvel are never going to hire him now.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Finally, something that has set the new low, people may now stop talking about "Last Stand" :p