X-Men Dark Phoenix movie

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

So FOX is going with this next.

I never thought Jessica Chastain would play Poison Ivy, the way see talked when asked about Ivy made me think Ivy wouldn't meet Jessica's political ideals.
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well, we all knew the Phoenix saga was going to happen. There are 2 positives, 1st, finally a new director will be helming the next Xmen movie, however, the thing that worries me is that it's Simon Kinberg, who has been writer/producer and will be his first time directing. 2nd, is casting Jessica Chastain because she is a great actress and rumoured to be up for the role of Lilandra. Now, while the cast from the last movie is expected to return, another problem is the idea of Jennifer Lawrence returning because I fear it's going to be Mystique and the X-men once again.
    • Like x 1
  3. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Well it can't possibly be as bad as the vomit inducing X-Men 3: The Last Stand was...can it? Please for all that is holy say it can't be. Although the drop in quality of movie from X-Men: Days of Future Past to X-Men: Apocalypse was pretty damn jarring. I never would have thought X-Men: Apocalypse would be as bad as it was but mad that movie was pretty damn bad. I would really say it was the only bad X-Men movie Singer made. X1, X2, and XDoFP were all enjoyable.
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'd hope not, they already screwed up the whole Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline once. I'd hate to see them drop the ball again.

In that respect, though, they just have to do one simple thing: keep Cyclops alive. Even with all the other questionable decisions in Last Stand, killing off Cyclops was probably the dumbest one especially when the Cyclops/Jean Grey relationship was such a key factor in the original story.
    • Like x 2
  5. Brother Allen Loyal Player

But...but if they hadn't killed off Cyclops then Wolverine wouldn't have had as much screen time. :p.

All joking aside, I remember reading a while back that Cyclops was actually killed off early on in the film because James Marsden had a scheduling conflict with X-Men 3 and Superman Returns (he played Lois Lanes boyfriend in the movie). So not only did James star briefly in one crappy movie in 2006 he stared in two! lol.
    • Like x 2
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

First off: what the hael have they done to Maggie's helmet this time? :eek:

Secondly: unless Chastised is going to spend the next several months in a tanning booth, isn't she too albino to be Lilandra? o_O
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Oh, I'm fully aware Wolverine's got more popularity than Cyclops, I came to terms with that long ago. :D Even so, Jean's love for Scott was the reason she was able to hold on to her humanity long enough to do the right thing and save the galaxy from the threat of Dark Phoenix.

Besides, I remember a "What If?" story that put forth the scenario of Jean and Logan being in a relationship during the whole Dark Phoenix saga instead of Jean and Scott. It didn't end well for the galaxy. :confused:

I gotta feel for Marsden in that film conflict. When you look back at how both films ended up, when all was said and done he was in a no-win scenario.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That whole Scott - Jean - Logan triangle wasn't just for that movie, if you read the actual comics, that was there from almost the start (it was that love that brought Logan out of that coma caused by the forced removal of his adamantium in Wolverine #75)
  9. Brother Allen Loyal Player

That was beyond such an epic moment as a teenager for me. When Magneto ripped Wolverine's adamantium out I couldn't believe it. One of the greatest endings to a X-Men story line.
    • Like x 2
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

And then when he popped his boners for the first time...
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I know, it was the basis for the "What If?" story that I mentioned. Heck, there was even some speculation and hints at temptation for Scott in the comics with Psylocke showing some interest in him for a while.

But it wasn't Logan and Jean or Scott and Betsy/Kwannon/whatever other name she used that got married in the comics, now was it? ;)
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Thinking about it, a lot ended up coming out of that moment.

Xavier's response to Magneto doing that led directly into the creation of Onslaught, which also brought about the major heroes of the Marvel universe disappearing for a while. And while the whole Heroes Reborn project was very hit-or-miss (Liefeld's Captain America run comes to mind as one of the misses), the heroes disappearing led into the introduction of the Thunderbolts, which had an awesome jaw-dropping moment with the reveal at the end of the first issue.

Heck, it even led into two of my favorite characters from the New Warriors comic (Justice and Firestar) ending up on the Avengers roster after all the heroes returned. :D
    • Like x 1
  13. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Onslaught is still my second favorite villain of all time. The idea of him along with his defeat got a little convoluted as the story went on but his origin and his level of sheer power was awesome.
    • Like x 2
  14. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I always thought Onslaught would be the perfect main baddie for the X-men movieverse similar to Darkseid in the DCEU or Thanos in the MCU
    • Like x 1
  15. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not really.

Looking at past art of Lilandra she has had a variety of skin tones. She has had a both dark and light tans, average pale tone and also yellowish, some of the earliest art had her quite pale-pink and lighter than Xavier.

I'm sure they will give her some kind of coloring with make-up.
    • Like x 1
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    [IMG]
    So an update on the X-men Dark Phoenix front. It seems in a magazine interview made by first time director and past writer of the X-men films, Simon Kinberg, who will helm the project has caused a stir amongst fans who think either this means the movie will not take place in outer space :eek: or to keep the film emotionally grounded :
  17. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

So Jessica Chastain dropped an instagram bomb by saying she isn't playing Lilandra.

Now let the guessing as to who she is playing begin.

• Like x 1
  18. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Yeah I read about this. She responded to a fan's question via Instagram of who she will be playing and she suggested someone other than Lilandra. I don't know whether she was just being real or having fun but if true I think she could either be a future Jean Grey or maybe either Rachel or Hope Summers
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Both Rachel and (especially) Hope would be bad choices: Rachel is young and Hope is waayyy younger
  20. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

For Hope Summers, yes, but for Rachel Summers, remember she came from the alternate future that was shown in Days of Future Past as an adult. So I can see that as a possibility and would be a big reveal in the movie. However, knowing FOX, they'll just end up messing it up
    • Like x 1