WB/DC Cinematic Universe News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Controller Devoted Player

If that's the case and what Ankh meant, then I misunderstood him and apologize.

I'd guess that TODAY's writers / creators then need to go back to the drawing board and dig deeper and research.
    • Like x 1
  2. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I was white once, then I came out as gay......now I am no longer white
  3. SuperBell Loyal Player

WB, just stop. Stop meddling. Stop establishing things then scrap it. Find people who know what they are doing an let them do their work. Cavill was great as Superman. Shifting focus onto Supergirl is just going to anger fans who like Cavill's Superman, and potentially anger fans of Melissa Benoit's Supergirl if they go with someone different, like with the Flash. A DC Cinematic Universe can still be salvaged if you stop being stupid about it and shaking things up when ever you get negative criticism.
    • Like x 1
  4. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Joker Camera Test Puts Makeup on Phoenix’s Arthur Fleck

A first look at the next Joaquin Phoenix in makeup as the Clown Prince of Crime has been revealed by Joker director Todd Phillips.

The filmmaker debuted a brief camera test of Phoenix wearing face paint to transform him into Batman’s arch-nemesis. Previously released images of Joaquin’s character, Arthur Fleck, showed him without makeup.

In the quick video, Fleck flashes one of those twisted smiles before it fades away and he’s left with a stern stare.

Joaquin Phoenix Terrorizes a Subway Station as The Joker in Set Video

A new video from the set of director Todd Phillips’ upcoming Joker film provides a look at Joaquin Phoenix in full costume as the iconic DC villain.

TMZ posted a video from SplashNews.com featuring a pair of takes for a scene in which Phoenix’s Clown Prince of Crime can be seen unleashing mayhem upon an unsuspecting subway station. Not only does the video show Phoenix wearing the Joker makeup seen in the recently-released camera test, but he can also clearly be seen sporting the character’s iconic bright purple suit and sickly green hair.

RELATED: Joker Set Photo Gives First Look at Zazie Beetz’s Character

It is also worth mentioning that Phoenix isn’t the only one in the scene with clown hair or makeup, as numerous other characters in the scene are wearing similar, albeit less elaborate outfits.

Whereas some of these clowns appear to have been enlisted by the Joker to aid him in spreading chaos, others appear to be just as caught off guard as the other everyday citizens going about their business. It will be interesting to see how this chaotic scene, as well as the horde of other clowns, will play into the plot of the upcoming DC film.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

This is all a joke, right? It has to be!
    Phoenix is trying to be Ledger!!
    • Like x 1
  6. Shattered_Past Well-Known Player

The ho..hum...meh Joker. Dies. HE'S THE GREATEST JOKER EVER!!! Ledger you're speaking of?
  7. Batrederik Dedicated Player

This reminds me of that movie called "Clown (2014) "

Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie will center on how the popular comic book villain known as The Joker came to be.
    "I can't wait to see it!":
    • Like x 1
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

This is a good watch.

• Like x 1
  9. Batrederik Dedicated Player

That actor will always be in the minds as superman as long as they keep going into this shared universe. Shazzam, referencing cavills superman. aquaman & wonderman well they were partners with cavills superman. Replace the actors then people will complain and your shared universe is screwed up. Put the the characters on the shelf while you do other characters then fans will ask where are they and shouldn't they be there.

DC went so fast to catch up with marvel that they sacrificed alot to give us horrible quality in their films. Losing fans, popularity, and creditability in DCEU isnt good for the brand and the future for new films. Yet this isnt the first time DC movies had to deal with WB executives. Superman lives (RIP Jon), superman returns, batman forever, batman and Robin, steel, and many other films that never came to be because executives kept screwing around, money issues, obstructionism. If you thought Sony or disney was bad with their meddling their properties? WB has been doing this probably since 1980s with superman 3.' just saying.

But hey Henry Cavill is a really solid Superman, but the problem is general audiences really don't care about the character. Of course there are fans, but look at the underwhelming grosses of Superman Returns and Man Of Steel... Right or wrong, Superman is considered a big, dull boy scout with no faults. How often can you watch him being taken down by something using Kryptonite?

Batman has so much appeal to audiences because he's actually dark, human and cool.

So yeah I would bet there are more fans happy for a reboot than there are fans who are sad to see Cavill go. And I say Cavill goes to Marvel and becomes the new Wolverine once they reboot him with Disney...

My favorite man of steel actor is Dean Cain as Superman from the 'New Adventures of Superman .
    • Like x 1
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

The problem for me, is who they put under the greasepaint, and, for me, Phoenix is that poncey twit from "Gladiator"
    Also, how can you have a Joker movie, with no Blatman? o_O
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can't really agree with that assessment of Cavill. I will allow for the problems outside of his control that might have affected his performance (Snyder's direction, the darker tone of the films that really doesn't fit Superman, and so on) but even taking that into account that wasn't a solid Superman, much less Clark Kent. He had two films to show what he could do, and it didn't work. Meanwhile I remember seeing a thirty second preview of Superman's appearance in the second season of Supergirl and in that amount of time actor Tyler Hoechlin nailed BOTH aspects of the Superman character.

As for the thought about fans not buying into "boy scout" characters, I'll just refer you to Christopher Reeves' performance of Superman, even in the less-than-good sequels. And if by some chance that isn't enough, take a look at how fans reacted to Chris Evans in his performances of Captain America in the Marvel films.

It CAN be done, so long as you have the right actor. Cavill, for whatever reason, couldn't do what Reeves or Evans did.
    • Like x 1
  12. Batrederik Dedicated Player

willflynne?
    That assessment's meaning is up to the person who wears it. And we can't expect Warner brothers to be insane now.

We can't expect Warner brothers to just go "oh* let's just keep doing what we're doing with our DCU" and suddenly expect them to get different results and I think of us, have to resist urge to be insane. We can't just hope for Warner Brothers (just keep doing what you're doing Warner Brothers) And suddenly, magically* everything will be fine,. Henry cavill, i've made no qualms about this.. Henry Cavill is my sec favorite Man of steel we've ever had, i think he's a magnificent Superman.
    So when i think of Superman I instantly think of Dean Cain, Henry Cavill. I don't think of Branagh Ralph, and I don't even think of Christopher Reeve. I know that's sacrilegious to say, but i think a Henry Cavill, he is a great Superman. Wherther or not you like the movies, they put him in that's a separate thing. But as a guy portraying Superman? i think he's done a marvelous job, and i've been wanting to see a Man Of Steel 2 - i've been wanted to see more of him and all that kind of stuff. But to be consistent.. #actors are replaceable# Just becasue Henry Cavill has been a great Superman, that doesn't mean there's not somebody else out there, that there's not another actor there, who couldn't possibly step in and do as good of a job or heavens, maybe even better job certainly not guarantee. And i'm not saying that's what's gonna happen but it's possible.
    And I’m not going to try and convince you that Man of Steel isn’t a somber affair at times, but those who claim that it’s too bleak for a Superman adventure often unnecessarily rip the film to shreds. While it’s admittedly not quite as bright of an affair as original Superman movies, the film carries with it the same message of *hope*. And Man of Steel’s Superman, is a character who has lived his entire life under the weight of alienation – literally. The moment he learns to fly after discovering the truth of his parentage works because that weight has been lifted and he can see a future full of a sense of belonging. While it may be a bit darker than what we’re used to seeing, he is still a character who represents hope.
    I'll give you some examples better than The Dark Knight trilogy, because Batman has an inherent darkness built into his character that others initially lack: Harry Potter and or the MCU.

Why did people love the Deathly Hallows? one of the darkest blockbusters of the decade (visually and narratively)? Why did people like seeing Winter Soldier throw good old Cap into morally ambiguous scenarios? Why do people enjoy watching Infinity War, where everything goes to crap?

willflynne It's because of execution, timing, and character. First, all these movies are tightly scripted blockbusters with inoffensive (if not beautiful) cinematography and nice music. They don't really do anything out of the ordinary in terms of structure or traditional emotional peaks/valleys (Hero's Journey x 1000)- and that's not a criticism. They're perfectly designed, from a technical POV, to appeal to everyone.

Second, it's because these movies all get darker after the established characters have already had their chance to shine and display their core values Just like The Dark knight trilogy . Instead of "wow, X is such a dark character," the narrative becomes "wow, X went through such a dark story this time."
    notice? that I cheated a bit in the end of my previous paragraph. Notice how I said "went through" in the last line willflynne? That's because even though the stories became dark, the characters still didn't. DHP2, TWS, and Infinity War provide crowd pleasing, nostalgic moments for the heroes where every character gets to shine. I wouldn't dream of saying "Captain America is such a dark character" in The Winter Soldier or Infinity War, despite how dark the tone of the story got. I also wouldn't say that of Harry, who actively does get darker over the events of the series. And I wouldn't say that of Diana in Wonder Woman, who fails to save the entire village and watches her lover commit suicide. The characters all hold to their core values and are repeatedly celebrated in their movies, even when they're tested or when they outright fail.
    I honestly hate the phrase "it's an X story, X stories can't be dark!" That's lazy and especially if X is Superman, it almost feels like an attack. Forgive me for waxing about this, but it's as if people are saying that Superman isn't a strong enough idea to persevere through a dark story.

As for Tyler Hoechlin nailed BOTH aspects of the Superman character.
    Let's just say that we wear our lives on our face.
  13. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Um, I know a lot of people have blocked Justice League out ... but he's been in three films. ;)

And he was a LOT more Christopher Reeve-like in Justice League. Really made me curious about what a Man of Steel 2 would show us.
    • Like x 1
  14. Batrederik Dedicated Player

I still will not pass judgment until the movie comes out. Um there are people saying #why is batman not in it.. or he's gonna kill it he's gonna be the best Joker.. yet how do you know ?? none of us know until the movie comes out and that's why I will still go and see it. But i may be a fan of how he portrays the Joker.. the personality you know what i mean the psychosis that's going on with this man may be, be just be oscar-worthy.. So we'll see:cool:
  15. Batrederik Dedicated Player

he was a lot more from the likes of Dean Cain, Christoper Reeve, but more Dean Cain in justie league acting as a rebirth for the character, literally and metaphorically, giving us Superman as a smiling and optimistic beacon of hope.
    Just like Dean Cai's Superman
  16. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not all of his origin stories over the decades has included Bats in his making. In his 1940 Batman #1 first appearance, he was just a serial killer who modeled himself after a Joker playing card.

Plus this is more of an Elseworlds story, considering it's not meant to be connected to the DCCU. It's just a standalone movie.
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Didn't say Blat's was always involved in his origin, just, how can you have a Joker story without involving the Blat in some way
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Even the fake "Joker" movie looks better than the 'real deal'
  19. SuperBell Loyal Player

I hope there is a scene in this movie, where this "Joker" shows up to a WB exec's conference meeting and he maims them all in hilarious fashion, then points to himself and yells menacingly, "YOU DID THIS! YOU ONLY HAVE YOURSELVES TO BLAME!" Roll credits. It would be so meta.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Did anyone else notice the name at the bottom of those joke photos? o_O