WB/DC Cinematic Universe News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Like I said this is telling a story of Joker's exploits before the Bat, he is quite capable of creating his chaos without the Bat's existence. The Gotham show has already done it.

Though the Bat is in a way present, through his younger self. The movie takes place in Gotham during the 80s, while the Wayne's are still alive. It seems that Joker is at odds with Wayne, in other pictures of this subway scene, there's a clown holding a sign saying "Blame Wayne".
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

The Gotham show has a false Joker (in fact, it has two false Jokers, and faux Harley)
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Sorry, that was a lot of text and if I had quoted it all I probably would have run out of room to reply.

You brought up the *hope* aspect of Superman, which was a large part of the advertising behind Man of Steel. It was a good plan, but they didn't really follow through with it, both with the film AND with the character. The film itself was at more than one time dour and somewhat grim (they save the "dark and gritty" for BvS I guess LOL) and if Cavill's Superman had been a solid counterpoint that provided a ray of hope they might have been able to really lean harder into the *hope* aspect they were trying to promote.

But he wasn't. Cavill's Superman was moody, glum, at times mopey and overall far from what I'd call an inspirational character. He matched the tone of the film. Winter Soldier worked because Chris Evans' Cap was the light in comparison to the dark behind-the-scenes machinations of HYDRA. Same goes for Deathly Hallows. But when the character who is supposed to represent hope in a dour and glum world is just as dour and glum as the world itself (or only marginally more hopeful than the world), that message of hope isn't going to come through.

Dean Cain, Chris Evans and Christopher Reeve all managed to bring out the hopeful and inspirational aspects of the Superman and Captain America characters (can't speak to Brandon Routh's performance as I've yet to see that Superman film). When they showed up on screen, you either knew that they were there to do the right thing or that everything was going to be okay in the end. You could even get that to an extent with the vocal performances of Tim Daly and George Newbern in the Superman/Justice League cartoons.

I never got that from Cavill's performance in the role. That's why I can't agree with your assessment on Cavill's Superman. It's tough to think of him as a solid Superman when he can't pull off the hopeful and inspirational elements of the character he's playing, and it gets even tougher when there are plenty of examples of how it can be done well already out there for comparison.
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

A Farley, then? :D
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No Chris :p
  6. Batrederik Dedicated Player

You make some point here. And willflynne? that's why i said
    "That assessment's meaning is up to the person who wears it"

And I’m not going to try and convince you :cool: .. But I'd add that WW managed to establish her character while pushing her through some pretty dark times in the space of a single movie.

BvS didn't really establish Superman's core character so there was little sense of it being tested. Sure Avengers and The First Avenger establish Caps core character. But TWS has a few scenes at the start to reaffirm this to the audience. Him going to the museum. His appreciation of the work Falcon was doing with veterans. BvS just didn't have that scene to show the audience who this character that Lex is working to dismantle really is. We have people frightened and angry at him on his first day. Then we skip 18 months to see the same thing still happening lol. And exactly, Man of Steel, despite its flaws, was a fine* movie overall. It had its detractors, but what movie doesn't?
    They should not have doubled down on what made it bad in BvS, rather try to highlight its better parts. If they didn't think they could have done that, then a Batman Solo movie would have been the correct route, with a Superman tie-in.

And because wait for it... THEY’RE MUCH BETTER MOVIES. Regular People aren’t filmmakers, when they don’t like a movie, they will latch on to one aspect to try to express their dislike. That’s the same reason, people are mad, that Superman kill, yet no ones clapped eyes on Wonder Woman.

Dark doesn’t mean good nor bad but if a dark movie is good it’s likely to get extra praise and if dark movie is bad it’s likely to be ridiculed.

It should have just been a Batman Solo movie to start this off and have some kind of End Credits scene that included Superman. They do that and we don't get nearly as much fan backlash.

I love MoS. I think the tone is perfect. Interesting Titans is a total turn off to me lol, since 5he tone seems crowbar’d in, rather than a natural fit. Likewise, I’m skeptical of Aquamano_O because of WB’s:mad: embarrassment at creating anything ither than an MCU knockoff:rolleyes: .

I’m currently looking forward to seeing Joker:cool: , from WB. That’s it willflynne;)

It was a pleasure speaking with you willflynne, and I look forward to hearing from you again soon**.”
  7. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
    Okay, this seems good. I know that the releases pics makes him look like Ledger's portrayal of the Joker, but we have to wait for the trailer to get an idea of what to expect. Personally, I'm hoping the film itself will have a Natural Born Killers vibe where the cinematography and editing gives the audience the feeling of going crazy on drugs or very surreal and trippy colors as Arthur (Joaquin Phoenix) slips deeper into madness.
  8. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So WB/DC have revealed that 2020 is the year that both film projects, THE BATMAN and BIRDS OF PREY will be released. The latter film which may or may not end up being titled BIRDS OF PREY will be set to release on Feb 7, 2020. Whereas, THE BATMAN, which is being penned by Matt Reeves will start production next year and set for release in 2020
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Personally didn't get a Ledger-vibe from this. The stills remind me of another actor (no, not Defoe), butt can't remember which one :(
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    [IMG]
    This just in. It has been revealed that actresses, Elizabeth Winstead (left) and Jurnee Smollett Bell (right) have been cast as Huntress and Black Canary. The character of Renee Montoya has yet to be cast nor is it known if Oracle will be in the film either. So stay tune for updates
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

A black Black Canary? o_O
    And no, she does not look Italian or even Mediterranean
    • Like x 1
  12. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I'm all for diversity but why change a character who always had an iconic look. Is it so bad to be a Caucasian hero? Maybe they should change Barbara Gordon as a Latina or an Asian, because, you know, you have to be progressive :confused: Or how about this grand idea, use other heroes of race such as Gipsy, Onyx, and Vixen, instead of racebending
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  13. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Sadly it seems, yes it is.

The way things are going now a days, the viewpoint is that there is nothing more horrible than a white person. Though a white woman is less horrible than a white man.

It appears that doing the logical thing of using existing non-white characters isn't adequate, they must rewrite/eliminate the white characters for whatever their agenda is.
    • Like x 3
  14. Controller Devoted Player

To answer Ankh and Aurora - I agree wholeheartedly.

It is more akin of the laziness I see in DC Movies nowadays.

Diversity gone awry.

As a Black / African American male it makes me sick that they made The Human Torch black, will make Black Canary Black, and other changes.

Why not simply introduce actual Black Superheroes? They are out there.

Icon, Rocket, Hardware, Technique, Static, Blue Marvel, Amazing Man, Blue Lantern Adara, John Stewart...

I even learned about "Blue Marvel" from HERE, on the forums. He supposedly has solo'd the Avengers and I've read the comics online where he defeated none other than Hyperion.

DC and Marvel should check out this link.

http://worldofblackheroes.com/black-superheroes/

There is also a selection for Black Supervillains as well. Most (if not ALL) of these characters are ORIGINAL, too.

They ARE out there, if DCCU and Marvel want to dig deep enough. Marvel has already started and have done well.
    • Like x 2
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Black Torch was actually from an alternate Universe, not sure if the same Universe as Black Spider-Man
    Point being: he wasn't created just simply for the movie
    • Like x 1
  16. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

as the date for the debut of the live action tv series nears some character clips have been released offering up some more glimpses of robin, beast boy, raven and starfire.

it confirms that beast boy will fully transform into animals and not exhibit animal man type powers. they got gar spot on.

same with robin. Thwaits looks good in the role.

the 30 second look into diops starfire tells me that: despite the hair, despite the slightly southern drawl, despite the cheap looking costume she is stunning. At this point i now wish they would have cast somone who would more closely resemble the alien princess to give this girl a bigger role in a bigger movie. the smile and giggle she gves after robin asks gar must he be naked is my favorite thing in all the clips.

i'm worried about raven. i know the character has gone through some dramatic changes in the comics over the past 20 years but i get too much of a "hit girl" vibe from her. i keep waiting for her to start calling everyone "c^n^s".

this actually just might turn out to be good.
  17. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

DC adjacent interesting news.

McAfee lists Ruby Rose as the most dangerous celebrity to search for online.
  18. DCUO Post Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  19. SuperBell Loyal Player

I hope this movie is good. Also, I've never known Amber Heard, but damn, she is beautiful.
  20. DCUO Post Loyal Player

James Gunn Is Moving to DC and Is in Talks to Write the Next Suicide Squad Film

Warner Bros. has just confirmed to io9 that James Gunn is in discussions to write, with an eye to direct, the next installment of the Suicide Squadfranchise. He’ll have a completely new take on the property.

This is huge news for a few reasons. First and foremost is the fact Gunn, who was fired from Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, has gone to that studio’s direct rival, Warner Bros. It feels like a very calculated reaction to what many felt was an unwarranted decision (one you can read all about in detail at these links) and creates a whole new chapter in the epic struggle between Marvel Studios and DC Entertainment.

Second is the movie at hand. Gunn is reportedly taking a totally new approach to the property so this isn’t exactly a sequel to David Ayer’s Suicide Squad. What exactly that means? We do not know. But obviously, from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, Gunn has proven his ability to make movies with multiple strong personalities work in a comic book setting. Really, who better than to tackle a new Suicide Squad movie?

And though, right now, he’s only writing the film, if he ends up directing too, it’s going to become one of the most highly anticipated comic book movies in quite some time (and there are a lot in the works).

The new Suicide Squad movie is being produced by Peter Safran and does not yet have a release date. You can read much more about the movie’s journey at the below links.

Source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/james-gunn-is-going-to-dc-and-will-write-the-next-suici-1829631777