WB/DC Cinematic Universe News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Apr 14, 2016.

1. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey all,just wanted to create a thread where all of us can post any news on the WB/DC cinematic universe in order to keep everyone up to date

As of now, CinemaCon has just passed this week and WB chairman / CEO Kevin Tsujihara announced that there will be a Batman solo film and Ben Affleck will direct and co-write alongside Geoff Johns
    (My reaction)
    [IMG]
    Give us the World's greatest detective please!!

Only thing is that it seems WB/DC will continue with their planned schedule because production on Justice League: Part One has begun in London with Zach Snyder at the helm as director.
    (My reaction)
    [IMG]
    • Like x 6
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well, I'm sure everyone read the thread about WB/DC's Green Lantern Corps movie.

To add to WB/DCs plans for their movies. William Dafoe has been cast in the Justice League film as one of the "good guys." Nothing else is known so far but fans have begun speculating. Some choices run from Dr Fate, Metron, Martian Manhunter, but the top choice is the Highfather of New Genesis
    [IMG]

Rumor is that WB has begun with casting other future Justice League members that will be in the 1st film or the 2nd, probably as a cameo but who knows. Some actors/actresses like Alona Tal, Imogen Poots, James Remar, Alfred Molina, Ed Harris, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tessa Thompson, Javier Bardem, Bill Nighy, Jackie Earle Haley, Rosamund Pike, Joel Edgerton and Frances McDormand have been named for roles as Black Canary, Iris West, Darryl Frye, T.O. Morrow, Wade Eiling and Sarah Charles.
    • Like x 5
  3. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well not exactly part of the cinematic universe yet, but it's been revealed that the next animated DC project will be JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, check out the sneak peek when you get a copy of BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  4. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Commissioner Gordon is jacked. Why does he need Batman lol?

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  5. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey everyone, here is some concept art that you can catch in your copy of Bats v Supes Ultimate Edition. It's available for digital download.

[IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 2
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Just an update, William Dafoe will be part of the cast for Aquaman for he was cast a Nuidis Vulko, chief scientific adviser of Atlantis and Aquaman's ally
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

So the Ultimate Cut of BvS was released yesterday and seems like it was a major upgrade for those who disliked the film like Jon Schnepp of Collider :D
    i personally can wait to see this cut since i´m among those who loved BvS despite some issues i had with the film.

• Like x 4
  8. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

In an interview, James Wan, director of Aquaman stated that the tone of the movie is super secret at the moment but assured that it will not be dark and gloomy like the DC movies done by Zach Snyder
    [IMG][IMG]

There was also rumors about Amber Heard (cast as Mera) dropping out of Aquaman due to her recent divorce with Johnny Depp but it seems the she will push forward and continue with the film
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  9. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Saw it. It's definitely an improvement. Stuff makes more sense, character motivations are better (especially Clark, who actually has stuff to do), but it really drags. It's really slow, a lot of set up on top of set up. But scenes feel like they connect more with each other (previously, it felt like "and then this happens, and then this happens..."). I can see why WB wanted to cut it down - slow blockbusters must terrify them.

I liked the end/wrap-up/epilogue scenes with the funerals and some new stuff. The editing is weird, kinda jumps around - this could be intentional, but I thought it was distracting. But even with bad editing, I have no idea why this was left out of the theatrical cut. Especially in a movie that was trying so hard to set up other movies.

I'd be interested to know exactly what was added/changed. Some stuff was obvious, but I'm not that familiar with the theatrical cut, having only seen it once.

It's still a flawed film, but I found the longer cut to be more enjoyable.
    • Like x 6
  10. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

What interests me the most is that there are plenty of reports that WB has heard the mixed reception BvS got, and are updating Justice League as a result. We have also seen this in people getting pushed around beind the scenes. I pretty much hated BvS, and didn't have much hopes for any of the other movies from WBDC. But now... I dunno, at least they have proven that they have heard the reviews and know not many liked BvS, and they are willing to try to redeem themselves. So who knows? Maybe Justice League can end up decent. I hardly think it'll be a classic or anything, but I don't think it'll be terrible either.

What does make me worried, though, is the synopsis for Justice League: Part 1. I don't have the link right here, but in short, Batman is finally back in action... until a new threat awakens. He knows he can't deal with it himself, so he recruits Wonder Woman as an ally first, and the two of them puts together a team of other meta-humans like Aquaman, The Flash and Cyborg. But here's the main problem I have: There is no mention of Superman - at all - in the synopsis, yet we do know Henry Cavill will return. Is this an intentional way to try to make his return a surprise, or are they avoiding mentioning Superman because he's the villain?

If so... I already hate the movie, for two reasons. First of all, we don't want Superman as a villain. Or I don't, anyway. I mean, it's Superman. And it's Justice League. I know Superman was originally evil, and I know there are evil versions of him. But in the MCU, he has only been in two movies, and he spent most of them trying to convince everyone that he's a hero. So we reward him by making him a villain in the third? And it's Justice League. The JLA are finally being created, and three of the most important people (the "holy trinity", if you will) are Batman, Wonder Woman... and Superman. So making Superman a villain and the first enemy of the Justice League just seems so wrong.

Second, there's the whole ending of BvS. I hate it. I hope I'm not spoiling anything for those who hasn't seen it (then why are you even here, if you haven't seen BvS yet?), but I think killing Superman was a mistake. Big mistake. It's too soon to kill off a major character like that. But bringing him back could easily be an even bigger mistake. It makes the whole death-thing pointless in the first place. Whoops, Batman died in the end of JLA: Part 1? No worries, he'll be back for part 2 anyway. What's the point? The entire Justice League wiped out? Oh, wait, nevermind. The Flash went back in time and saved them. Ridiculous. The only way death works if it's permanent, and they are already bringing Superman back in the third movie. If you can't even care when someone dies because you know they'll be back soon, what's the point in watching in the first place?
    • Like x 3
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

From the sounds of it, it kind of reinforces the thought that they could have (and maybe should have) made two films instead of going for one overstuffed one.

Even so, I'm just not seeing myself buying BvS once it comes out in physical release. The original release was enough of a "swing and a miss" for me that I can't see myself spending the money to add it to my movie library.
    • Like x 2
  12. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

In that video Ala posted, someone says that it would work as a 90 minute film or as a 3 hour film, but not in-between. I kinda agree. It still has a lot of problems (IMO), but structurally, it makes sense, more or less. But if there were things you didn't like about the theatrical cut (Lex, Doomsday, MopeyMan, MurderMan), the longer version won't change that. Also, it doesn't clear up any real plot holes, and might have introduced one, but it's pretty minor.

I only watched because my brother bought it (he really likes BvS), and asked me to come over watch it. He also had beer, so...
    • Like x 3
  13. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Should've gave him a hard time for not waiting till July when the xtra special Blu-ray comes out
    • Like x 2
  14. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

I agree with the comments in the Collider video linked above. WB made a bad call releasing that theatrical version.

PS: Best Films Over 3 Hours Long (imdb)
    • Like x 2
  15. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

uh huh, ultimate = should've been the only version released.
    • Like x 4
  16. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

Glad that you enjoyed this one, i´m still yet to see it, here on Spain is not available yet.
    • Like x 2
  17. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Figured. That's why I tried to be vague. Not that what's different is huge, but there's little things and I assume you don't want to be spoiled. I did mostly like it and I might even watch it again sometime :eek::p
    • Like x 4
  18. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone,
    So there are big rumors (so take it with a grain of salt) looming with regards to DC and their movies and TV shows.

First, according to reports, the CW is trying to work out a deal to bring Batman, Batwoman and Oracle to their collective TV universe consisting of The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow. However, the inclusion of Batwoman and Oracle seem to be more likely.
    [IMG]
    Other items of interest from the report includes John Wesley Shipp's Jay Garrick being made a series regular across the whole DC Universe, similar to the deal given to John Barrowman and Wentworth Miller. They also state that a similar deal could be in the works for Matt Ryan's Constantine with the network current contemplating whether to give DC's preeminent magic con man a spot to replace one of the CW shows that have been axed.

As for the DC cinematic universe, the rumor is that the next Batman solo film will be set in Arkham Asylum! And no, it will not be based on the video game although the synopsis describes it as the Caped Crusader locked inside Arkham Asylum battling his greatest foes or it can be an adaptation of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. Until then, we'll have to wait and see
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Don't they already have Oracle? In the form of everyone's favourite geek, Flicker Smoke
    • Like x 2
  20. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Batman Arkham movie=bad idea. It already screams "action only" and that was basically what killed BvS in the movie version. If DC doesn't get it done again to tell actual stories, they should just stop making movies. And I was lookign forward to the new Batman movie until the Arkham thing showed up.
    • Like x 3