The Go Go Gadget Guide to Everything Gadgets

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by TheDark, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Ace New Player

I use intim, gauss, fear gas, stasis field, cryo field and photon. I use that with a bow in the T5 raids
    • Like x 1
  2. Agnetta Dedicated Player

gauss grenade - stasis field - intim - distract - photon - fear gas/bunker buster?
    • Like x 1
  3. Kung-Fu_Karl New Player

ive been using sticky bomb, stasis field, gauss, intim, bunker buster and photon with my hand blasters and ive been rocking sum good numbers.
  4. Rarewolf New Player

in section:
    THE DOUBLE TICK (Bonus/Zero Tick)
    what does the article mean by:
    "This is a great way to solo Control raids."

i am new to this thread and i just had a few questions about my Con (troller) Method.
    i usually take the second controller method.
    i am a Gadget Controller With Pistols (GCWP).
    Vital is low 900s and Dom is in low 500s
    My usual Loadout is:
    Intimidate, Sleep Dart, Napelm Granade, Defibrillator, Stasis Field, Battle Drone.
    my loadout is mainly based on debuffing and helping my team out with crowd control effects..
    i do switch out intimidate with taser pull when its needed.
    i do fair ammounts of Power Out but ive gotten "scorned" by a tanker and a DPS just once.
    that im not a troller and that i should get off the troller stance that i need to learn to pot.
    ive told such people.. i am not a troller, i am a Con.
    ive been doing research too. your guide is the only one that has helped me understand potting more.
    so heres what i need to know.
    is it bad of me to want to be a Con instead of a troller?
    is there a better way to Con if possible?

my Toons name is Mitzio. *An Assasin.
    Gadget Powers
    acrobat movement
    dual pistol weapon (i switch with shield and bow for soloing or duos or just for fun)
    my Cr 68
    Vital 910 +/-, dom is 504 +/-
  5. TheDark Devoted Player

Actually I need to reword that. what it should say is "Using this mechanic is a great way to solo power a raid group." poT last 25 seconds. Every 20 seconds you get the 4th PoT tick. After that, instead of waiting 5 seconds for another PoT tick for the group you have a 1 to 4 second window to cast it anytime you want. Ideally you want to cast it immediately after you see the 4th set of blue PoT numbers. That's 2 PoT ticks in 1 second (or 2) complemented with a Defib means a chunk of power is restored to the team. Both PoT ticks will work as designed in that they'll go to everyone in the group. The Defib will still go to the 3 lowest powered.

This trick works well with groups with a high power consumption. It isn't noticeable with a group who plays comfortably and consumes much less. The key is to keep it going if you need to use it. It requires a lot of attention on the PoT caster's part. Distract has a 20 second timer and if you cast that right after sticky bomb/taser pull you have yourself an in game timer. I recommend new players to try the Double Tick method. Once you have a grasp on it, you can remove Distract for another power that benefits you or the team. Or you can keep Distract because it too is a good power to take advantage of for other reasons.

To answer your last questions, I can only suggest to not think of it as "con" and "troller." Instead look at it for what it is. A Controller's job by design is to disable enemies and help keep the team powered. That's straight from the game. A Controller controls not just the power out flow but also assists in controlling the battleground. They apply CC effects on NPC's around the group when the tank either needs help or fails to do it. If there is an NPC putting the healer/damager in danger, apply one CC effect.

After 2 they become immune and the tank will not be able to psychically pull them right away. They will have their aggro but it'll take a little longer for the NPC to walk over to the tank now. For a tank, all it takes is a cast of power to have aggro in the area. To have a mob on the tank faster, the psychical pulls are used. The psychical pull itself is not the only way a tank can get aggro. You can CC when you know when and where to do it. At the start of a fight, let the tank(s) collect the mob. Then CC to protect the group or to keep the NPC's in the tanks zone.

One thing I do want to point out is that applying control effects is done by default. Some players who give advice on controlling try to separate Crowd controlling from the role itself. These players don't understand the role. Everything you do as a controlling applies a control effect. Your debuffs apply a CC effect. Your PoT cast powers apply a CC effect. Using your weapon to regenerate power to yourself applies a CC effect. Its done by default. If someone just spams Defib and taps their weapon 3 times, then I'd say there is rarely any CC being done. Those are the ones giving the advice to not CC and I personally see it as awful advice. It's not playing the role to its max. You can control doing anything.

The "troller" you mention is just a Battery. That was created by the players. They were created to just allow them to keep the team powered. Nothing more. It's the easiest way to play the role. Those who can't multi task or simply play the role casually choose to play a Battery. The best Batteries are those who take advantage of the Double Tick, and always keep the green lightning bolt up. Some also rotate high vit trinkets. I can get into that more if you ask. Just know if you run with one and they let the bolt slip the entire time, question what they tell you. If they're always out of power and you notice they don't use their weapon to restore power to themselves, then that means you'll be carrying them. You'll have to hit defib more. There are alot of them out there. If they try to blame you, call them out on this. Let the group know they're not keeping the bolt up, or they might keep over writing themselves, or they're just not using their weapon. A PoT controller with 1100+ should be able to solo everything under T4 if they are good. Your Defibs just assist.

The problem I think you may have is that you might be focusing too much on CCing through powers. Remember the role is designed for you to do both. Power the team and disable threats. So try doing both and find a balance. Try throwing a CC power and clip that with Defib. Hit Defib right after. You'll CC and power the team. Remember to regenerate power to yourself with your weapon. If you need to drink soders. If you're in a group with a strong burn by D.P.S. players, then (to be the better player) you have to adapt. You'll just have to pump out more power. Again, It is possible to CC by clipping with Defib but you'll be somewhat limited.

Let me know if I missed something. my draft has been sitting here for a while. Forget to post it earlier.
    • Like x 1
  6. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I'm sure your not doing this but make sure your carrying a Power Over Time move in your loadout. I didn't see one there regularly in your usual loadout. For gadgets that's Sticky Bomb or Taser Pull. Also if you go into a raid and your the back up troll(not regularly throwing POT) keep a POT in a your hot bar in case the other troll goes down or DC's during a difficult part so the team has some regular power coming in. Crowd control is fun and you can do both functions, just work with the tank let him grab aggro. And if something gets by the tank or a teammate gets low on health start to CC it to buy em some time. Lastly Sticky Bomb is favored typically because of 2 things A) Tanks don't like to have stuff yanked outta there zone B) Sticky Bomb is a non divided attack it will give the same amount of damage to all adds it hits, so if you cast it in a group of 5 they'll all take the same damage. Its juggle is also one of the best CC move's in the game. Its your choice on which one you want to use you pay your $15 a month like everybody else. Thats my two cents.
  7. TheDark Devoted Player

Anyone know if there is a personal dampening field V out?
  8. thesteelshadow1 New Player

ive been looking and havent seen any thing in the broker or in any of the alerts or raids yet. tbh i havent seen any plans for any consumable yet. havent did farmed the raids much yet so maybe they drop in there or very rare. the 4s work great in the alerts/with distract so ive been dieing to see the new ones and if theres a expert on of them.
  9. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I haven't seen any level V consumable plans drop from anything yet.
  10. TheDark Devoted Player

I was hopin they would be released with the new content. Perhaps in the coming updates? PDF's are my most used consumable.
  11. TheDark Devoted Player

Yea I use PDFIV all the time. I use them as a second shield when I melee Control or DPS. The difference between a PDF III and a IV is 425. So Im thinking it'll be the same or similar increase. Hopefully its much larger but i doubt it. V's can come in handy with the amount these NPCs in t5 are hitting. Only down side is the cost of the V catalyst for some.

I'll buy it off the first guy out there who finds it. Let me know.
  12. NCR RANGER New Player

So I tried using energy shield for the first time yesterday in Family Reunion, and boy did I regret it. That thing is a piece of garbage compared to the absorption adapter tactical mod.

Even with 1020 dom and over 900 restoration the adds could kill me through the shield. What's the deal?

Also, what's the best way to approach fighting a tank in 1v1 lair battles since we can't do anything to them? PVP debuff grende?
  13. Penryn The Gadgeteer

It will absorb 2000 damage with those stats. Depending on who you were fighting, that may only be one or two attacks from one of the bosses.

Are you trying to fight them in dps or controller role? Your best bet is just to run them out of power by weapon countering and getting them to use shields. After they run out of power, burst them down. That strategy only works if you are fighting a bad tank. Against a good tank, you have very little chance of winning.
  14. NCR RANGER New Player

Which is why the devs need to set up the 1v1 lair battles like legends where there is no role, or re tool dominance again for pvp. It makes me so mad when my restoration debuff becomes negligible because a healer can heal through it.
  15. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Range Dps is cool there's a few different things you can do. I'll list some powers below with some info and a suggested loadout for it.

Far
    INT(5 mod will stun 1 add when proc's),
    Sleep Dart(50 mod will always hit target;Burst damage),
    Napalm Grenade(50 mod burning Dot will set up burning on around 5 adds; splits damage),
    Gauss Grenade(45 mod will damage up to 8 targets if close, electrify 2; can miss target)
    Stasis Field(45 mod will damage even if doesn't incase; always hits target)
    Photon Blast(50 mod Does extra damage on 35% health or less)

Med
    Vortex Cannon(45 mod, will knock back group in cone in front of you; not advised for DPS use splits on 2 targets)
    Fear gas(35% mod, will affect 2-3 in cone and can be jump cancelled)
    Cryo Foam(fast 45% mod will root around 5 add splits damage)

There's a few ways to go about this, Depending on your preference and what type of damage you want to inflict. You can go with a loadout based on burning, stacking multiple types of PI's or burst or a combination of them. Below i'll post a couple suggestions you can try them out if you'd like.

burning w/PI type's

Napalm, Fear, Dis, Stasis, INT, Photon

If your using this watch photon with stasis, I've noticed some encasing even in DPS stance and if your enemy is encased then Photon will not deal any damage. If you don't want to get close enough to use fear Gauss can be substituted for more burst damage or Sleep Dart if you can spend the power points.

Xtreme Range w burst

Sleep, Neo venom, Dis, INT, Stasis, Photon

This loadout is more for the precision oriented gadgeteer it will use a lot of power, but if you like using your weapon to get the procs it'll do its fair share. Also Every power will land on its target. I'd suggest the empowered channeling mod for the hand socket.

I gotta head to work have fund and hope this helps with your range load out.
  16. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Here was the old method for defeating a healer in 1vs1:

1. Debuff them.
    2. Use CC powers and make them use up their power.
    3. Burst them down after they run out of power.

The Home Turf DLC has made that strategy very difficult to pull off. Healers have several new options for recovering power and health. The larger health pools and restoration values on the new gear also give them additional buffer space. If you're running around in pure controller gear right now, a healer doesn't have very much to fear. You maybe able to debuff them, but you don't have the offensive stats to kill them.

I don't participate in lair battles anymore. It just isn't worth the time. People leave before the round even starts. You run into your counter-role far too often. Matches against skilled opponents can go 20+ minutes.
  17. djozaa New Player

hey guys, witch t5 pieces will u get, precision based or might based
  18. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I'm going to get the Precision gear, I like to use my weapon alot and use the bow/pistols/or rifle to get my proc's off of INT, I may mix it up with like two pieces of might mixed in there. The balanced method seems to suit me best.

Its all preference tho.
  19. blklightning New Player

Quick question...

The latest update rendered Word of Power not necessary for Hard Light and Mental controllers, as their power-tree SC's now offer Power Over Time AND group shielding. I noticed that Gadgets does not have a similar SC.

Has anyone done a comparison to how much power is distributed from the Battle Drone, which has a lower SC cost vs. WoP?

Much appreciated.
  20. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Battle Drone is a 35% supercharge that returns a steady amount of power while the power is active. The last time I checked, it usually returned ~800 power. The power out does not scale with vitalization. This power is best used to supplement power over time. If you are running Battle Drone in a raid, the other controller should have a burst power return like Speed Drain/Word of Power/Group Shielding.

Word of Power is a 50% supercharge that restores a large amount of power in a short amount of time. The power you receive from it scales with vitalization. This power is best used when there has been a burst in power usage and you need to restore power quickly to the entire party.

Battle Drone isn't too useful once you get into the higher tier content. The power return component stops if Battle Drone is destroyed. At the higher tiers, you'll start encountering more situations where you need to do burst power returns.

It is my opinion that the other controller powersets have better protection/power return supercharges than what Gadgets does at the moment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.