The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, it's another time (four hours later counts LOL) so my thoughts on new season shows I've seen.

Girls Beyond the Wasteland-Very reminiscent of Saekano in plot but it's playing it a little more straight than that show did. Two episodes in and we've got all the players (from the opening, anyway) in place so watching how things will play out now is the fun.

Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn-Imagine some of the weird humor from Excel Saga's creator combined with cybernetic elements from the creator of Ghost in the Shell and you've got that show. Funny enough, it works for me so far. It's not quite as bonkers and madcap as Excel Saga, but it's definitely odd.

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle-Anyone who's seen Infinite Stratos will get a sense of deja vu when watching the mechs in combat, and it does fall victim to the usual tropes you'd see in a harem show early on. Something with it clicked for me, though, and I'm curious to see where the story ends up going.

Luck and Logic-Lots of proper noun usage (Logic, Covenant, etc) but unlike Absolute Duo it doesn't seem to be taking itself too seriously so far and is keeping a sense of humor. Quite a few potential story threads put out there in the first episode, but it didn't feel overloaded.

Dagashi Kashi-The first episode reviewers on ANN threw out the "manic pixie dream girl" description of the female lead a lot and I can see why, but like Bahamut it seemed to click with me. I think it's going to be a fun show to watch the characters bounce off of one another.

That's it so far. Erased is one I'm going to give a try, but I'm not sure yet about Divine Gate, Dimension W or Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

3. Yui Loyal Player

ERASED is the top anime of the season in my opinion. You're definitely gonna want to watch it.

As for Divine Gate, Dimension W, or Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, I think they're pretty decent shows.
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

i would be here for a day...
  5. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Just had to
    • Like x 1
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That was waayyy cool! :D
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, gone a little silent (I'll blame the new shows LOL) but there was an article on the Escapist Magazine website this week that sparked a thought. It was a rundown of eight anime shows from the 90's that (as the author put it) shouldn't be skipped.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...ryoftheday/15341-90s-Anime-You-Shouldn-t-Skip

Setting aside agreeing or disagreeing with the author, it got me thinking about what shows or movies from anime that you'd recommend to get someone interested in the genre.

For me, the show would probably be Toradora! and the movie would be Howl's Moving Castle. Heck, I got my nieces hooked on Miyazaki films thanks to Howl's Moving Castle. LOL

Thoughts? And don't feel limited to one show or movie, those were the first ones to come to mind for me.
  8. Yui Loyal Player

TV Series:
    • Attack on Titan
    • Blood+
    • Elfen Lied
    • Psycho-Pass
    • Soul Eater
    • Sword Art Online
    • Tokyo Ghoul
    and pretty much anything else on these lists:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/anjalipatel/gateway-animes-guaranteed-to-get-you-hooked#.kqo9oW9No
    http://redditanime.wikia.com/wiki/The_massive_"I_just_got_in_to_anime"_recommendation_list

Films:
    • AURA
    • Garden of Words
    • Hotarubi no Mori e
    • Summer Wars
    • The Wolf Children
    • and any Studio Ghibli film.
    • Like x 1
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Anyone remember "Animalympics"? If not, or you just want a refresher, watch this

Was reminded of it after cleaning up some old video tapes (remember those? no? :( )

Or, hows about "The Adventures of the American Rabbit"?
  10. Yui Loyal Player

So, I finished Fullmetal Alchemist (the first series) last week. I am aware that it didn't really adapt all the contents of the manga because at the time it was airing, the manga didn't have enough chapters for the anime to cover. This is why they had to create original content for it. Based on the reviews and comments I've read about FMA, I should have gone with FMA: Brotherhood, which was closer to the original material. However, I wanted to get a taste of the FMA franchise first as I've ignored it for a many years now.

I've seen FMA trailers on TV as a child, but back then, I wasn't really into anime as much as I am now, so I really wasn't interested in watching it. Now, that I've seen the first series, I really regret not watching FMA sooner.

The plot is so amazing. It's really story-rich. The character development is good for the most part. My only complaint is that Edward and Alphonse, in some of their fights, are pretty weak when they're against certain enemies, like they don't even put up a fight and get their butts handed to them. This annoyed me so much lol. I also wish they could have gone more in-depth with the character development of Winry and Roy. These characters were really interesting to me especially Roy. Roy is a bada**. He kind of reminds me of Levi from Shingeki no Kyojin except he's kind of a dumbed down version of Levi and his character isn't as serious as Levi.

The visuals, while being old, is really good. It probably was one of the anime of its time that had the best visuals.

I rate this anime: 9/10

• Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I've only seen the original (first) series of FMA, never gotten around to Brotherhood or any of the films. I think it's due in no small part to how many gut punches FMA delivers. I can't think of a reveal from that show that wasn't either disturbing or jaw-dropping in some way.

And speaking of older shows that can be gut-punching, Dragon Ball GT just showed up in its entirety on Hulu. :confused: Not sure I have the fortitude to try and endure that one and review it. I barely made it through the confusing info-dump that was the first episode of Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, even with it being the dubbed version.
    • Like x 1
  12. Yui Loyal Player

SPOILER ALERT!

So, 4 episodes of doing the same thing over and over again with nothing interesting happening, and they finally kill a main character.

[IMG]
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Pandora in the Crimson Shell is perplexing me after four episodes.

They're trying to strike a very unusual balance, I think. The show is very bright and colorful visually, and the music to go along with it is very light, almost too light at times (kind of runs counter to the action sequences). They're not afraid to go for comedy and a chuckle, but at the same time there's a definite undercurrent of more going on than meets the eye, with strong hints that it's of a sinister nature. The results of trying to balance that are hit and miss, but even so I'm interested in seeing where it's going.

And if you want a good chuckle, I'd have to recommend viewing BUER's exclamations from episode four as he's being put into his room for safekeeping. :D
  14. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

Good. The 2003 version was an entirely anime original plot, Brotherhood is IMO better. Wrath, Sloth, Greed and Pride are different characters all together, with Wrath being a badass, Sloth isn't worth mentioning, telling you about Greed would spoil a lot and Pride is more creepy and ominous. Roy is still awesome, plot makes sense and it is overall amazing.
    • Like x 1
  15. Yui Loyal Player

Oh, yeah. I already know that FMA Brotherhood is better than the original FMA.

I mean there's a reason why it's on ANN's Top 10 Anime list: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php
    and Rank 1 on MAL's Top Anime list: http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Yeah, I kind of spoiled myself on the Seven Deadly Sins of FMA Brotherhood. I know that they're different characters from the original FMA, but then again the later episodes of FMA were original content, so that's to be expected.

It's good to know that Roy is still awesome in Brotherhood :D. I kinda wish he had a bigger part in the original FMA, but the later episodes were original content, so what can I do about it right?

Probably going to start watching FMA Brotherhood sometime this week after I see the movie for the original FMA.
    • Like x 1
  16. LightOfQuantum Committed Player

Anime sucks. Worst cartoons ever.
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I saw this anime after I caught my husband watching it, he likes harem anime :rolleyes:. There were many game references. Especially this one lol....
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That one quickly became a favorite of mine because they definitely had fun playing around with the harem anime format. They never really flinched from the monster aspect of the girls and played it to their advantage. Plus even with the harem/sexy girl focus, there was a surprisingly thorough amount of world building going on as well (particularly the species rundowns at the end of episodes), and it was pretty consistent as well.

I'm waiting semi-patiently for the US release, and it's one of the few shows that's almost gotten me interested in checking out the manga. The only thing I could wish would be different would be to have seen Funimation get the show, because they would have had a ball with the dub and (probably) knock it out of the park.
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou, though the genre that it falls on isn't what I usually watch, I found it entertaining and yes, the world building aspect was very interesting and I'm glad you pointed the species rundown because they showed the different type of Slime monsters aside from Suu which was cool. I'll probably grab a copy once it's released by Sentai Filmworks here in the states. One thing, I have started reading the manga and [MINOR SPOILER] the girls' mothers do eventually make an appearance and you can expect all the high jinks that ensues. Also, though the manga is still ongoing, hopefully the animation studio continues with a season 2
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

You know, the whole "meeting the mothers" bit would make sense given the "marry one of them" directive that came down from Smith. :D

As for a second season, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second one. The show seemed to be a hit from what I can tell. After all, a company made a hug pillow based on Miia that was sold at last year's summer Comiket, and even with the big price tag they sold out in an hour. :eek: Personally I'd say that bodes well for chances of at least one more season.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...iia-comiket-pillow-sells-out-in-1-hour/.91674