The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

A little update on We Never Learn. Two episodes in and we've now had the third girl featured in the intro thrown into the mix. She's a very energetic athlete who needs tutoring help to get into her preferred school and also a middle school classmate of the protagonist. She initially resists the tutoring idea but changes her mind when she meets the other girls. Why?

She's been harboring feelings for the protagonist since middle school, thanks in large part to his kindness towards her. So whether the geniuses realize it or not, the athlete views them as potential rivals.

I'm really liking how they are handling things so far. Instead of drawing out why the girls are acting the way they are, they're making the reveals up front which allows them to let the characters bounce off of one another to great effect. For example, after the reveal of the athlete's feelings, we get a scene where the math genius is with the protagonist trying to get help with writing an essay. As they're talking the athlete texts the math genius to join her for karaoke. But as soon as the math genius reveals she's studying with the protagonist?

*rumble rumble rumble* And suddenly the athlete is there in the doorway, breathing heavy from running and talking about how SHE needed to study too. LOL

What helps is that while the athlete is the most energetic of the group, she's not loud or shrill in her outbursts and is really very sweet at times. It should be fun to see how she fits in with the character mix as the series progresses.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

3. myandria Item Storage

4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Two notes for now.

First, they've revealed the dub cast for Isekai Quartet and they managed to get all the dub actors from the various shows, including Konosuba! So if you like the English voices for those characters, you get to keep enjoying them in IQ. :D

The other note is about Fairy Gone. I've checked out the first three episodes, and I've liked it so far. The animation quality is great, the action sequences are top notch and I'm curious to see where they might be taking the story.

I only have two quibbles with the show. First, they seem to overuse "cool" rock music for a LOT of the show, both action sequences and non-action sequences. They could probably pull back on it and still have the show work.

The second? It's dark. And no, I don't mean "dark and depressing tone to the story" or anything like that, I mean it's actually DARK and hard to see stuff at times. LOL There's been a couple of sequences where they've had battles where fairies are summoned, but between the dark color scheme and designs of some of the fairies and the fight taking place in the evening/at night/in shadowy locations it's incredibly challenging to make out what the fairy looks like, much less what it's doing. :confused:
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

9. Batrederik Dedicated Player

this the one that people complain about how the violence was never the same after.. great Anime
    • Like x 1
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Hmmm, not sure about this yet, but Golden Time is getting an English dub.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...anese-ghost-stories-golden-time-anime/.146881

Sentai Filmworks must be doing okay, they've recently started going back to some older titles in their library and doing English dubs for them. I think they may even be doing dubs for the To Love-Ru series, and maybe Waiting in the Summer as well.

I'm nervous about a Golden Time dub for two reasons. First, the series could be tricky to dub because it'd be way too easy for some of the drama to become overly melodramatic or some of the jokes/humor to fall flat. Second? It's Sentai, and they've still got a habit of being hit-or-miss with their dubs.
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Wow.

Even setting aside that it's a fan-made short film and there's only about 40 seconds or so of actual footage right now, that's some fantastic work.
    • Like x 1
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Is it just me, or does it have a huge resemblance to "A Force Awakens"? o_O
    Still looks incredible
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I haven't watched the original in a little while, but the stark sections of desert at the edge of the Toxic Jungle and Nausicaa exploring and scavenging the husks of the dead Ohm are pretty close to the original, if not straight from the film. So it could be argued that Force Awakens may have taken a page from Nausicaa. After all, Nausicaa first came out in 1984.
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Never seen Nausicaa
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

:D
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

There is a lot of the early (not so early) anime haven't seen, doesn't mean they are not on the list of ones will watch, one day, after getting a new working DVD player
  17. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

Just so you know, Teacher is best girl in We Never Learn.
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To me it still feels like they're fleshing her character out a little more, so until then I think it's either Rizu or Uruka. It's such a toss-up between the two with similar but different reasons for their flustered behavior (one fully aware of her feelings, the other figuring them out). Rizu and her "angry" face in the last episode might have put her in the lead a bit, though.

I'm still waiting for them to introduce the purple-haired girl on the far left. She's in a lot of the promo material and in the end credits (even if it's in chalk drawing form LOL) but she has yet to make an appearance in the show.

[IMG]
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

...aaaand Funimation is doing a dub release of Nichijou. They've even released some videos announcing dub actors.

And yes, this is the deer/principal scene. :D