The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 2
  3. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

In light of the recent incident of Kyoto Animation, Fire Force, which revolves around a lot of fire imagery, episode 3 is delayed.
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So I'm loving the new season of Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? The War Games arc went by quick but was a good watch, and I loved the solid nods to Greek myth they played with (Cassandra of the Apollo family in particular).

There were two things in the latest episode (starting some involvement with the Ishtar family) that kind of stood out as great little moments that were unexpected. At one point Bell goes sprinting after Hermes in his usual panic mode (Bell is a little overwhelmed by the pleasure district after all), and as soon as he rounds a corner to pursue, there's a woman right in his path and he's about to go face first into her...ummm, feminine protrusions. :oops:

From all appearances it's going to follow the usual anime trope, right down to the shot being framed that way. But he doesn't. He manages to slow himself down enough and spin to the side so that he avoids the collision. Not only does it kind of subvert that trope, but it also works as a subtle but nice indication of his skills and abilities improving. Doesn't save him from being abducted by the woman and her allies, though (darn Amazons LOL).

The other is a bit more of a personal observation, though. From indications in the episode it looks like Ishtar has some issues or a beef with Freya. If that is indeed the case (you never know for sure until names are named) thanks to that moment, it ended up becoming the second time in this season that Freya is somehow getting involved without her being an antagonist for Hestia's family. It's a little odd considering how many of her schemes made her something of a behind-the-scenes antagonist in the first season, and I can't say I'm going to be fully rooting for Freya now. But these kinds of interactions (both here and in the Sword Oratoria series) end up adding some good dimension to the recurring characters and keep them from being one-dimensional.

Well, if you don't count Apollo and Ganesha. :D
  6. DCUO Post Loyal Player

The first feature-length film from the acclaimed studio TRIGGER, creators of the hit series KILL la KILL and Little Witch Academia, and director Hiroyuki Imaishi (GURREN LAGANN, KILL la KILL), Promare uses a bold cel-shaded visual style to tell a blistering action-adventure story, and is the spiritual successor to many of director Imaishi’s former works.

Thirty years has passed since the appearance of Burnish, a race of flame-wielding mutant beings, who destroyed half of the world with fire. When a new group of aggressive mutants calling themselves “Mad Burnish” appears, the epic battle between Galo Thymos, a new member of the anti-Burnish rescue team “Burning Rescue,” and Lio Fotia, the leader of “Mad Burnish” begins.

7. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

FLY! GUNDAM!
    • Like x 1
  8. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Was a little surprised yesterday, Advent of the Red Comet has popped up on Funimation's streaming service.

Oh, and one of these days I'm gonna have to do a little searching on my streaming subs and see if I can watch G Gundam again somewhere (loved the weirdness of that show :D ).
    • Like x 1
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

When I first saw G Gundam, I was a little put off by it because I've always been a fan of the Universal Century stories but I eventually began to love it. And it was a surprise when another series, GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY had alot of references to G Gundam, especially one of the protagonists whose teacher was Domon himself
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So Funimation started showing a dub of Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou. It's not done yet, so this isn't a review of any sort, but it has left something of an impression.

It's an odd one to try and sort out. Aki Shiina is the only boy in the show, and at that really awkward "first year of middle school" age, plus he's more than a bit on the shy side as he's trying to get used to moving to a new city and living in the boarding house.

His interactions with his housemates (the student council of his school) have their own weird little "slice of life" moments with an odd twist. Yuri in particular has some unique hobbies that she tends to drag Aki into. But when it comes to his housemates it's usually him dealing with their quirks.

Then there's the caretaker's younger sister (a high school gal) and her friends that were just fully introduced. The sister seems to have no real boundaries and even tells her friends that Aki is like her pet. Of course, this is after her friends run into Shiina at the pool and start hitting on him.

Not kidding. Mild wall slam and everything.

And then there's the caretaker. VERY well developed woman, very affectionate towards her charges at the house and always seems to be getting into potentially compromising situations with Aki. It's tough to say whether she knows he has a huge crush on her (probably does know, women ALWAYS seem to know LOL) but her behavior towards him can raise some questions.

The most interesting thing that keeps coming to mind, though, is how well the show might be received if genders were reversed but the behavior all stayed the same. I think it might be one of those double standard things where it'd at least raise some eyebrows and concerns if Aki was a girl surrounded by odd/aggressive men, but since Aki is a boy surrounded by women it's a "dream come true" scenario on paper.

Except Aki isn't always visibly comfortable with the attention he keeps getting. That's really evident in the pool scene with Nana (the younger sister) and her friends.

I dunno, I'm probably overthinking a fan service/slice of life show that is fun to watch. But I can identify with Aki and his discomfort (for lack of a better term) at getting all that attention at that young of an age, so that may be factoring into it as well.
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Curse you, Konosuba merchandisers!!!!

[IMG]

[IMG]
    It's the flying cabbage accessory and the SUPER happy face that got me. LOL
    • Like x 1
  14. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

THE TRAGEDY OF A HAREM MC
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'll see your video and raise you Part 2.

Well I would, but I think Part 2 pushes the boundaries a bit more than part 1. So better safe than sorry. LOL
    • Like x 1
  16. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Crunchyroll just announced that sept 12th only for members that Saga of Tanya the Evil will stream live at 6pm PST
    This is some awesome news
    • Like x 1
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Never got into the show, but I checked Crunchyroll's site to see details, and I will admit it's something that they'll be streaming that film. I kind of hope to see Funimation do the same with Rascal Does Not Dream of A Dreaming Girl, now.

I did have to chuckle reading the description of the film on their site, though. If they knew of the significance that particular name can have with Western audiences (can never quite tell how things translate at times), having a character named Warrant Officer Mary Sue is indeed a bold choice and could be entertaining to watch. :D
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Getting back to Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? for a bit, I think it's safe to say the whole series has me hooked. It might be in part because of the exploration of myth and various gods and goddesses they are using, but how they are handling Bell's growth has just been great to watch. The Ishtar Familia saga was a great watch, and after watching the latest episode I'm loving both their representation of Ares and seeing Ganesha making an appearance again (great comedy with Ganesha this week).

Anyhow, I might have to start resisting the thought of picking up the light novels or manga adaptations of the light novels. I'm definitely going to be looking at picking up Sword Oratoria and the movie (got an ad from Amazon about the release date) though. Maybe even get the "Hot Spring" special release too. LOL

One other little side note, though. I was clicking through YouTube videos and came across this one.

Slight warning, it does have some story details that aren't revealed until this week's episode of DanMachi, so if you haven't seen the latest episode or read anything it might be a little spoiler-ish.

Something that stood out to me wasn't the exploration, it was the side comment that no one really watched Sword Oratoria. LOL I thought about it a bit and remembered that it was part of Amazon's Anime Strike service when it streamed. So yeah, no wonder anyone watched it when it streamed on a service that required Amazon's Prime service AND another subscription on top of it. :rolleyes:

At least it's part of HIDIVE's streaming service, now, so folks have a chance to see it.
    • Like x 1