The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    It seems GOBLIN SLAYER will be getting a special ova episode that will only be screen in theaters titled Goblin Crown :eek:, it will feature returning cast and staff
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

3. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Good News Everyone, The release of the Movie for Saga of tanya the Evil in the USA is May 16th. I was hoping that is would come to theatres here. I have already pre ordered my tickets.
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, if the "this week's releases" info on ANN is correct, I've got a couple movies to hunt down. My Hero Academia: Two Heroes and Perfect Blue both got released this week.

Perfect Blue could be the tougher one to watch. I picked it up years ago on VHS, but it was one of those movies you watch that sticks with you, even if you only watch it once. It's a fantastic film, but just weird/trippy enough that I'm not sure I could recommend repeated viewing. lol
    • Like x 1
  5. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So I'm sure some of you are aware of the anime Tate no Yūsha no Nariagari aka THE RISING OF THE SHIELD HERO and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I highly recommend it.

Another anime that is part of my anime library is Sutoraiku za Buraddo aka STRIKE THE BLOOD which is getting ova's. The first of five home video releases shipped on December 19, and the second release will ship on Wednesday. The rest of the releases will ship on May 29, July 24, and September 25. Each release features two episodes, for a total of 10 episodes.
    • Like x 1
  6. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I am so loving rising of the shield hero
    • Like x 1
  7. Perdition Committed Player

Thanks for the update! Strike the blood is amazkng!
    • Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So I finally sat down and finished watching Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai.

It'd be fair to call the show a mix of the Monogatari series and My Teen Romantic SNAFU. It definitely leans heavy into the same feel of SNAFU at least, but the supernatural/out-of-this-world elements are played a lot more subtly than the Monogatari series (and a lot less violently too LOL). As a result when any of the more funky supernatural occurrences take place they have more impact and stand out pretty well.

The other part of the show that makes it worth watching is the development of the relationship between Sakuta and Mai as the series progresses. They make for a solid pairing and get even stronger as the show goes on, so even though you have Sakuta helping to deal with the problems of three other girls (four if you count his sister) there's never really any harem antics or "he should be with THAT girl" feelings popping up. There MIGHT be a fourth girl that could cause some romantic tension, but she's a mystery that (in theory) will be explored and resolved in an upcoming movie.

It's a show I'd recommend, though. The chances of getting a "Hachiman" vibe from Sakuta early on is pretty high, but stick with and you'll get some fun relationship interplay, mild exploration of various theory and some genuinely funky supernatural moments.
    • Like x 2
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'm gonna feel silly doing this if they slip another episode in, but it looks like the Quintessential Quintuplets finished up.

All in all, it was a fun and solid harem show. Nothing about the girls' developing affections for Futaro seemed forced, and he wasn't the usual bland "self-insert" protagonist you might see in a harem anime. A big plus was that the girls themselves weren't just walking anime tropes and developed as the series went on.

The fun part of the show was that from the beginning you had a mystery put out there, as there were scenes and flash-forwards showing Futaro marrying one of the girls. And boy did they like dropping hints as to who it might be! :rolleyes: So unlike Rascal, you've got folks having their favorite and putting forth arguments as to who is the best. I've already seen a few videos pop up on YouTube with people making their case for one girl or another. :D

I'd love to talk more about all the hints and how things play out in the final flash-forward, but that would be spoiling the fun. I will say that I hope for another season just to see if they'd use it to resolve things definitively or not. At the very least I'd want to see one question answered in it. LOL Anyhow, another recommendation from me. Solid show, fun humor, dub and sub have been good, so it's worth a look.
    • Like x 2
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, Kaguya-sama: Love is War wrapped up too.

So. Much. Fun. :D They managed to take a premise that could have run out of gas early on and kept things fresh throughout the whole run. This one had me regularly laughing and having to hold back loud outbursts of laughter. Best part is that they managed to do some exploration along the way as to why the main characters behave the way they do and did so thoughtfully, especially in the last two episodes.

I highly recommend the show, no two ways about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, enough that I'm finding it challenging to find the words to really express how and why I enjoyed it so much. LOL
    • Like x 1
  11. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I really enjoyed and like this one
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just a little amusement I had from this morning. I usually watch anime episodes while eating breakfast (decent way to keep up) and this morning I watched the latest Black Clover. This week's episode included new opening and ending songs for the spring season, and my first thought after seeing the first image in the new closer?

"Oh, they made Asta a pretty boy!" :eek:

Didn't need to do much to do the same with Yuno, though. :D
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Hmmm.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...a-shakir-daniella-pineda-alex-hassell/.145402

Not quite sure about the casting. I've not seen enough work from the other three (that I know of) to know how well they might fit the characters, though I will admit the photo of Daniella Pineda does have enough of a resemblance to Faye that it's a good start.

I'm just not sure how well John Cho might do in the lead. It doesn't help that the performance Steve Blum gave for Spike is going to loom large over things, but I'm not quite sure I can see Cho having the same cool/swagger that was such a part of the character. I know he'd be able to pull off the goofier parts of the role, though.
  14. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

I've seen a good bit of Selfie (TV series with Karen Gillan), he can pull off cool/swagger.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That is encouraging. Still gonna be tough to escape the shadow of the anime, though, so I wish the best of luck to the whole cast.
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So color me surprised, Target seems to be upping their anime game, at least a little.

Beyond finding an All Might Figpin there recently, over the past few weeks they've had copies of Maquia and My Hero Academia: Two Heroes on the shelves, and this week they're carrying the video release of A Silent Voice as well.

Heck, I even saw some Aggretsuko Funko Pop Vinyl figures in stock (briefly, new Pop Vinyl stuff doesn't last long there LOL). :D So props to them for expanding some of their in-store merchandise, I guess.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So the new shows for spring have started popping up, and I'm starting to wonder

It's not that the shows I've checked out are bad or anything. But for some reason I seem to have a knack for finding the shows that are basically short form pieces. :D

Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?- 15 minute episode.

Ao-chan Can't Study- 15 minute episode.

Amazing Stranger-12 minute episode.

On top of that, Nobunaga Teacher's Young Bride's first episode only runs 7 minutes and Joshi Kausei looks to have 3 minute episodes. I can understand it with Joshi Kausei, as there's supposed to be no dialogue in the show, and it might be better with the Nobunaga one as well (premise is that the title character's young bride is from the Warring States era, thinks he's THE Nobunaga and is only 14, so high creepy potential there).

But it's so odd that so many short form shows are out right off the bat. Stranger still, Ao-chan Can't Study (from the episode I watched) looks like they could have gone full episode length with the show and still have it work. It's just weird. :confused:

As for other shows, so far I've checked out the Fruits Basket remake and We Never Learn: Bokuben. I'm going into Fruits Basket cold with no real knowledge about the previous anime or the manga, but the first episode is gorgeous and I can see why the show clicked for a lot of fans back in the day. Funimation's doing a simul-dub, and it's solid.

We Never Learn looks like it could be another harem show, with the main character tutoring two geniuses who want to study in programs outside of their expertise so that he can get a recommendation for a full-ride scholarship. There's some decent humor so far, and even though the girls do have some of the usual tropes/stereotypes you see in anime characters (the math genius is super-analytical, for example) they have a decent amount of depth already. That's thanks in large part to a couple of scenes where we find out why the girls are trying to study fields outside their expertise but also due to their resistance and frustration over many people telling them to just stick to what they're good at. It's one I'll probably be sticking with.

EDIT: In one of the ANN first episode previews of We Never Learn, the reviewer said something along the lines of seeing the protagonist and having one of their first thoughts being, "Hey, when did Negi Springfield grow up?" LOL Now that's gonna be stuck with me every time I watch an episode.
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    Seems Netflix's live action Cowboy Bebop has begun to be cast.
    John Cho will play SPIKE
    [IMG]

Mustafar Shakir as JET
    [IMG]

Daniella Pineda as FAYE
    [IMG]

Alex Hassell as Vicious
    [IMG]
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

A little follow-up that was amusing to me about Isekai Quartet. Funimation has links to their forum discussions in the announcements about their shows, so out of curiosity I clicked on the link labeled "Dubbed" to see what kind of discussion was taking place. And the main focus of the conversations?

Whether or not Funimation was going to get the dub casts for Konosuba and Re: Zero for their dub cast. :D

I did check out Wise Man's Grandchild and The Helpful Fox Senko-san, and they clicked with me. Wise Man is another isekai story (including the whole overpowered main character bit). But it helps that the main character is genuinely nice and they could have fun with him being more or less clueless about the world outside of the forest he grew up in. Lots of potential for "fish out of water" and "misunderstandings and blunt comments" humor there.

The Helpful Fox Senko-san I think is going to be something of a comfort food show. I'm not sure how well the premise (fox deity shows up in the life of an overworked office worker to help) will last over the long haul, but the show itself leans heavy on the ideas of overworking being detrimental and that it's okay to be pampered by someone in the first episode.