Tank cleanses - Make tanks viable in PvP again

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Korrupt, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Korrupt New Player

SOE,

Currently, tank cleanses are 3 seconds long. This has created a problem where healers are spamming PvP debuff protection serums to remove debuffs. Please consider giving PvP debuff protection serums a longer cooldown and revert tank cleanses back to 6 seconds. Give tanks a purpose in PvP again. Not a lot of leagues are using tanks in arenas. This shouldn't be happening.
    • Like x 19
  2. DrSpringfield Well-Known Player

Yes, it is very easy to re-debuff a Tank. I've made a career of it. ;)
  3. Korrupt New Player

4. Korrupt New Player

It's not about being able to debuff tanks. It's the immunities tanks are suppose to provide.
    • Like x 1
  5. xSpartacusx Well-Known Player

1 or 1.5 minute cooldown for serums. If am not wrong, they used to be 8 seconds in the past, and to be honest, was the funniest the pvp has been. (No consumables).
    • Like x 1
  6. Korrupt New Player

Please take note, I am a nature healer. This is not because I am a tank but it's to make PvP better by making tanks viable again.
  7. Korrupt New Player

Also, I would like to thank SOE for finally listening about ice's shields. Reflect is back to being semi normal. I appreciate it.
  8. Korrupt New Player

Devs, please reply to this thread.
    • Like x 1
  9. Spidersting Committed Player

They should either revert the cleanses to the former functions that cleared all debuffs including clearing the tank. Or I was thinking they add a taunt component to the cleanses when in tank role that would make all players attacking your team to have the targeting swap to the tank. With all the pokemon that would go a long way for tanks making teams who are focus firing a nightmare to retarget through the pets.
    • Like x 4
  10. Ragnarok Well-Known Player

That's a brilliant idea. Using a tank power should actually snap aggro to the tank, just like it does in PVE. That would give the tank a better role to play in PVP and allow better teamwork: players focusing on assisting the tank, just like with PVE synergy. Actually, both ideas are great. The rock/ paper/ scissors thing really messed stuff up. I only do Legends PVP now as there really is no incentive to running a tank in PVP.
    • Like x 2
  11. Yallander Loyal Player

I would like this changed and tanks to have more to bring to the table in the form of shields and damage mitigation (like Reinforce on Earth.) Tanks are nigh useless in PVP based on just powers available. Typically the tanks you see in arena premades are initially good players. Serums also need a longer cool down.
    • Like x 1
  12. TheSoulburn32 New Player

Increase Serum cool down timer to 8 seconds but if you notice you can apply the debuff again after they use them instantly so give them a 3 second immunity after use.

Tank cleanse should be at least 5 seconds of immunity, A power should be stronger than a consumable.
  13. Korrupt New Player

Serum cooldown needs to be changed to 60 seconds. It's spammed far too much.
    • Like x 2
  14. Korrupt New Player

That's a pretty smart idea; however, I would like them to just revert the cleanses back to their normal state and put a longer cooldown on PVP consumables.
  15. Korrupt New Player

The only useful tank at the moment right now is earth because reinforce provides a reliable precision buff while mitigating 25% damage off focus targets.

What does ice and fire have for group?
    3 second cleanses that have a really long cooldown
    That's it.

That's why earth is the defacto PvP tank at the moment. None of the less, I hope the devs are listening.
  16. Magnificent Loyal Player

I'm going to agree with the consensus here about serums. You have a situation where players with inordinate amounts of cash are able to buy up bytes and spam the bejeezus out of serums, making that the only way some of them can win.

Where I am going to disagree a small bit is the uselfulness of tanks in PVP (I agree on the cleanses but am iffy on the taunts, would like to test it first before making a concrete decision).

In PVP I tank exclusively and can generally hold a node by myself for a decent amount of time against multiple foes of average skill. As an example, over the weekend I held a node in Arkham against another player (along with one of his teammates at one point) AND Freeze through almost the entire match all by myself (except for maybe the final 20 seconds when one of my teammates was finally able to break free and check on me). At no point during that match did the node leave our control and that's because as a fire tank I have over 10k hps, can self-heal and used my soders wisely.

Being a true tank in Arenas isn't about doing OMGWTFPWNZDPSRARRR1111 damage, but about contesting or holding the node long enough for assitance to come in (unless you are playing against a team of trollers, then it's an all you-can-dmg buffet ;) ).
    • Like x 2
  17. Yallander Loyal Player

I highlighted some areas of focus from your post. In higher end PVP (PVP focused leagues who run premades against other premades) tanks have little purpose. Taunts don't work in Watchtower since there are no NPC's to aggro and pet AI is set to target whomever the pet owner is targeting thus avoiding taunt/aggro mechanics entirely. Nodes don't exist in the Watchtower, it's all about what you as a player and powerset bring to the table. Tanks strip troller shields and POT, guess what--most teams run with 2 trollers to deal with this issue OR the troller is using serums as well. Also troller shields are on such fast recharges in relation to healer shields that stripping them is an inconvenience more than a game breaker.
  18. Magnificent Loyal Player

How much of the player base does that include? Would those changes end up making tanks TOO "tanky" for average matches? Could the answers to those questions be what's keeping the changes from happening? (I have no idea on any, just throwing them out for discussion)

If making the changes would be too unbalancing in the lower and middle PVP game, maybe the implementation of league bases will have league v league matches with rules slightly altered that make tanks more viable in such situations.
  19. Spidersting Committed Player

Basicly this is the major issue. Tanks are really only effective on node holding maps unless you are earth. The other maps have no need for tanks. All roles should be useful at all times on every map and the job of one role shouldn't be in the form of a spamable consumable.
  20. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Our taunts should work on other players. If we target someone and use a power they should be target locked to us for at least 6 seconds. Have this only be useable every 12 seconds. It seems like we are the only MMO with tanks that can't taunt opposing players.