Star Wars, The Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You are the one who repeatedly say they were just fanfiction, you just don't get and never will, such a pity, such a waste, such a you
  2. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Umm, I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else.

Looking back in this thread you are the only one who has been bring up fanfiction. I have only typed that word twice (prior to this post) in responses to your posts. The first was on April 26 and I said the Thrawn trilogy wasn't fanfiction but that with the loosest interpretation one could view it that way.

You are getting hung up on things I can only assumes others have said and placing them on me. I personally have never viewed any licensed works as fanfiction, it has never even crossed my mind. The fact that something is licensed negates the possibility of it being fanfiction.

But like I said previously, being licensed does not make something canon. It just means someone paid the license owner for the ability to make something with the owners property.

Look the EU of course existed, it was rather large and was filled with good and really bad stuff. But it was never canon, as stated by the god/owner of SW, George Lucas.
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I am not really sure if this is good or bad. I will lean on the good side for now.

• Like x 2
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I got no problem with it. The Ewok Adventure wasn't anything to write home about, but it was better than the Holiday Special by far. LOL

Besides, beyond hitting the Death Watch bunker the Gorax was one of the fun reasons for visiting the Endor moon in Star Wars Galaxies. Even if you were looking for him it was always one of those fun little "OH GEEZ!" gaming moments when you came across him unexpectedly. :D
    • Like x 1
  5. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

So 3 pieces of news.

1. As I am sure most already know, the Solo premier was Thursday night. Review embargos end on the 15th but the first reactions are allowed and are on the good side. It is being called a true, pure adventure movie, it's a good fun movie.

2. An official announcement hasn't happened yet but all indications are that an Obi-Wan movie is a done deal and they are moving forward with it. But of course nothing is truly done until its announced and even then not until filming starts.

3. Details are finally out on the series John Favreau is doing for the Disney streaming service. It will take place 7 years after Return of the Jedi and will have all new characters. It will also utilize much of the same CG and motion capture Favreau used in The Jungle Book. And he is already half way through writing the first season.
    • Like x 1
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

So, the new series is going to be set after the latest trilogy? o_O
  7. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I highly doubt Artoo is in it. This is a movie he should not be in.

With the costs involved in movies like Star Wars, they don't start filming unless they are sure it will be released. But yeah there's nothing stopping major changes during production, Solo and JL proves that.

No, I wrote Return of the Jedi not The Last Jedi. So it's after the original trilogy and before the new trilogy.

But there seems to be some confusion on the actual timeline of the series. Most sources are saying it's 7 years after the battle of Endor but in the original interview, Favreau said 7 years after the battle of Yavin. Either way the series happens within a few years after Return of the Jedi.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

So, this will be the first (not counting the two Ewok movies) not to have Artoo in it? Sadness :(

Knew what you wrote, was just confused about the timeline and how far after Endor TFA was supposed to be set

So, this new series is going to be like Rebels? Which was set between RotS and ANH?
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    As it was stated before by Ankh, there have been some early reviews for SOLO: A Star Wars Story and while the allowed initial reactions point out the positives, they also mention some mixed feelings on certain things. Kristain Harloff of Collider for example wrote:

Now similar to other movies, not just Star Wars, initial reactions always point out the positives but since my experience with TLJ, I will wait to see it for myself during a mantinee or I just torrent it :D . However, there are people who want to boycott the film due to the TLJ but I say see the movie yourself and you be the judge.
  10. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

No McGregor no party
  11. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Is anyone else just sick of everything in Star Wars being set post Revenge o'Sith? I mean., I am still super excited to watch Solo and the new show its just become a redundant era.

However, I tihnk the new show might see more light saber duels since we might get a glimpse of Luke's Jedi order
  12. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

It's not a bad thing that Artoo isn't in the movie. It's the story of Han Solo's beginnings, mostly taking place 10 years before ANH, Artoo doesn't belong anywhere near that.

TFA is 30 years after Endor.

Somewhat but this Favreau series is live action not animation. As this show will be only 3 years after Endor, it seems it will be about the galaxy figuring out what to do after the fall of the Empire. This will be the first SW series/trilogy not to be set during a war.

Just to clarify, there will also be an animated show called Resistance, which will be out this fall.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yes, butt Artoo has been in all 9 movies so far, the only character to do so (wait, he was in "Rogue One", wasn't he? o_O )

Hadn't realized TFA was that long after Endor

Yeah, only meant similar to "Rebels" in the fact it's an entirely new group of characters (although there will be a good chance there will be at least one cameo by, if not a 'big' name, at least a minor butt recognizable character)
    • Like x 1
  14. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

R2 was great with C39PO, but now since they're separated, he's become undervalued
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Artoo was the 'straight' droid to Threepio (double meaning when you consider how Goldenrod was portrayed as 'effeminate' :p )
    • Like x 1
  16. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Personally, I love C3PO. Solo or not, the guy is hilarious, especially in TFA
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh yeah, didn't mean to imply Threepio isn't cool, he has had some of the best lines, specially when going up against a whistling rubbish bin :p
  18. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Yes Artoo and 3PO have been in every movie including Rogue One but there was a reason for them to be in those. Solo doesn't look like it will be in area that would have the characters cross each other's paths. If the droids do show up, it will be really bad, cheap fan service. It would be even worse if they show up in the Obi-Wan movie

I feel they will stay very far away from the biggest names. At the most, characters may get mentioned but we will not see them, for obvious reasons.
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wasn't saying that Artoo has to be in "Solo", had simply asked if he was, and then commented on the fact he had been in every other movie (not so with Threepio)

Arsesoaker showed up in "Rebels" (not to mention Vader and a couple other ex-Jedi), that's why mentioned having minor characters, albeit ones that most people (and not just the diehard Star-Nerds) would recognize
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Threepio has been in all the movies so far. I can't say if he appeared in the Rebels series, and he didn't have his gold appearance in all the films, but he has been in all of them.
    • Like x 1