Star Wars, The Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

[IMG]
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Fairly sure can get one of those ^ at the local Warehouse (and no, you don't get a [Reply] :p )
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I am sorry you feel that way. I being in the same age area as you have a totally different opinion to yours, I have enjoyed all that I have seen.

I do admit that it took some warming up to the Prequels and I now view them as just a part of the SW universe, nothing great but not something to toss out. I am a SW fan through and through and love any chance to see into that galaxy. Now I'm not saying I like/love everything being done but on the whole I'm still in for the ride.

I have and still play SWTOR, the game has issues (mostly EA) but it's still fun. They haven't given me a reason to sub up in over a year but I rarely do that anyway.

I have heard mixed opinions on the Aftermath series, so I'm not surprised you had issues with it.

Growing up I wasn't much into reading anything more than comics but I have read some SW stuff over time. Out of the new era of books I have finished reading the books, Ahsoka, Guardians of the Wills and Lost Stars. All good reads but Lost Stars is really good and I recommend you to check it out. It's a look from the other side type of story, it spans the time frame of the OT era.

The author of Lost Stars, Claudia Gray is shaping up to be in a similar vain to Zahn in how she really seems to get SW. She has three SW books and a short story in From a Certain Point of View, so far to her credits.

I do hope that someday you will be able to find enjoyment in the new SW, with it finally growing after all these decades, it would be a shame to miss it.
  4. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

:p
    If only Disney/Hasbro put that out, I'd buy it. Only thing it will be most likely be overpriced. However, I am hoping they release more upgraded black series figures from the expanded universe like Jacen Solo or Mara Jade Skywalker because there are people that make awesome custom figures but with a hefty price attached
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  5. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

I need a Chir Daki tho
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'm in more or less the same boat as you when it comes to Star Wars.

Prequels? I'll never claim they are perfect films, by any means. But they are nowhere near as bad as some would make them out to be. I got to see Jedi before their fall, I was given cool trooper looks that weren't associated with the Empire for the better part of two films (man, did I do some army building with clone trooper figures LOL) and I was finally given the story of the fall of Anakin Skywalker. Those movies also added a lot to the Star Wars universe, which in turn added a lot to...

Star Wars Galaxies, my go-to game for reference in my MMO gaming experiences. :D I got to play out my own Star Wars adventures there, and the prequels helped a lot. I about geeked out when the Rage of the Wookiees expansion brought in clone trooper armor, and my first character was sent to a remote Force shrine on Naboo when he finally unlocked Jedi. And I'll admit it, more than once I went after low level hostile Gungans when I was in need of some stress relief. LOL

SWTOR didn't get my attention, though. I had already had more than I could have asked for in a SW experience in Galaxies, BioWare's at times excessive focus on story seemed a little off-putting, any Old Republic stories I had read had never left me wanting more of them and EA's exclusive Star Wars game deal more than likely contributed to SWG being shut down. So maybe a little spite might be involved, I'll admit. :D But SWG spoiled me, so what SWTOR offered seemed like a step backwards. I've never played the game, even after it went free-to-play.

I've seriously cut back on books, though. The last series I seriously read was the Legacy of the Force series. It didn't help that the New Jedi Order books just dragged, and the series that followed Legacy of the Force irritated me when they started dragging things out there so most everything after Legacy has flown under my radar. I'll still pick up Timothy Zahn books, though, and I'm slowly making my way through A Certain Point of View.

I think what's helped for me is that when I go into a new Star Wars film now, I try to go in with as few expectations as possible. I do my best to step back from what I think should happen and just let the film tell the story it wants to tell.
  7. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Feel the same way as you and willflynne, mostly, have played a bit of TOR, butt, like you will, the heavy focus on a linear Story (and not being able to start out as a Twi'Lek, plus someone already stole the name had in Star Wars Combine {if you haven't played that yet, you should}, combined with only having a first name unless you elect to have a 'family' name shared across all characters) kept me from getting too 'into' it to continue past the initial arc (had a real and a 'fake' account, neither character got off the first planet or got their ship)

POO, butt the great thing for me about the Chir'daki is that it was a factory-built 'ugly' (and designed mainly for Twi'lekki :D)
  9. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

There is a RUMOR going around that Lucas Film is considering recasting Leia with Meryl Streep.

Being that I follow John Campea, I have heard the idea of a Leia recast before since John believes it should be done. Now the first time I heard this I was of course horrified, like many I see it as Leia = Carrie and Carrie = Leia and you can't change that.

But hearing John's argument and then putting my own thought into it, I do think they should do it for Ep9. Both Leia and Carrie deserve the respect and honor to have Leia's story completed properly on screen. Doing some off screen death that gets mentioned in the crawl or whatever is just a sad disrespectful way to end her.

Now sure, seeing someone else in the role will be extremely hard to swallow but I do feel it should be done.

Now of course this is just a rumor and even if Lucas Films had the stuff to do it, Meryl could be a difficult get for them even though Meryl and Carrie were very close friends.
  10. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

It would be great emotionally, but would it look good? I'm a bit iffy on casting the Princess with someone else besides Carrie.

I just think Princess Leia should be associated with one person and one person only: Carrie Fisher.

Maybe seeing Meryl Streep's performance as Leia will change my perspective, so I'm remaining open-minded on this.
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Streep is a wonderful and talented actress, butt just don't see her as being a 'replacement Carrie'
    It would need to be someone who more-closely resembles Ms Fisher
  12. ShazamFanatic2017 Well-Known Player

My Star Wars: The Last Jedi Movie Review

Title: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    Studio: Disney
    Release Date: 12/15/2017
    MPAA Rating: PG-13
    My Rating: A 4.8 out of 5

[IMG]

Loved this movie. It was well worth the wait. It starts off where The Force Awakens last left off.
    It has a brilliant plot to it. Just wanted to give just one spoiler though. Luke Skywalker does die,
    towards the end. I highly recommend this movie. Its a must see, if you're a Star Wars fan. I have
    it on Blu-ray. It was a gift from my mother. Thank goodness. Buy it. Its well worth the money, in
    opinion.
  13. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Ok. You know what? I like the prequels.

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  14. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

15. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Another misquote has stirred the pot

Go to 9:08

The comments section was filled with so much nonsense of TLJ haters. They latched on to the misquote and refused to believe anything else. They went into full on attack mode on Campea, saying he is in denial, just a crazed fanboy and of course the ever popular, a paid mouthpiece for Lucas/Disney.

The belief of some is that any focus on her family had to be a setup for them being important, that Rey must be related to someone we knew. They just cant see that, that was just her desperate need in life, for her parents to not only come back for her but to have a bigger meaning to why they left her behind. Anybody who has lost a parent when they were a child, whether it be from death or just leaving, knows that need and what fantasies one can make up.

There was even one person that believes Rey's line to BB8 in the TFA of "classified? Me too.", was flat out proof that was setting up the audience for her parents to be special. Which of course that was just an annoyed sarcastic remark to BB8 for what he said.
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think there's a solid argument to be made that the new films are showing fans that you don't have to be one of the chosen ones or something like that to be special or be able to make a difference.

Of course you have Rey's background, but there's also Finn as well. After all, when he talks about his experiences as a member of the First Order, there's more than a couple of references to the fact that he was involved with cleanup and waste management as much (if not more) than any activities he had as a Stormtrooper. And also you have the little boy from the Canto Bight stables at the end of the film to help reinforce things as well.

Whether that kind of presentation continues with the next film is a question.
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

One thing you denier deniers have to understand: who was it who told Rey her parents were nothing? Hmm? Think about that
    As for Finn the Traitor, he always was a nothing, and always will be, there was no Grand Past for him, and no Grand Heroic Future either
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think there's been an interesting dynamic put into play now when it comes to the next film in regards to Rey. They may be in a position now where it's better to just leave Rey's backstory/background alone because if they do try to bring in some big/amazing reveal about her heritage after Last Jedi, it could backfire and distract from whatever story they're trying to tell in the film. If the reveal is done in a way that seems ham-handed or awkward, it could just end up coming across as pandering to all the fans that were annoyed/angered about Last Jedi and that won't go over well.

Mind you, I'm not saying it can't be done. If the story is written well enough and is translated well in filming they could pull it off. But if it comes at the cost of the story and ends up just being a distraction from the overall story they're trying to tell, I think they'd be better off just leaving it alone.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, considering he's one of the few (if not the only one) who betrayed the First Order and has lived to tell about it, I wouldn't exactly say he's nothing. ;) Add in the fact that it looks like he's finally stopped trying to run from his past and is actually facing it? That bodes well for the chance at a heroic future. :D
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Unless Ep9 is about Rey's parents, and it always was, butt then you will get an equal number of whiners complaining that some psycho said that her parents were nothing so it must be true!!