Star Wars, The Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Odd. In the eyes of some folks it was George Lucas that had killed Star Wars. Interesting what a change in ownership does for a franchise. ;)
  2. velvetsanity Loyal Player

It was on life support when he sold it to Disney, they killed it.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Yes, because one of the largest entertainment companies in the world is going to pay $4 billion dollars for a franchise on life support. :rolleyes:
  4. velvetsanity Loyal Player

IIRC, they didn’t. They bought Lucasfilm, which includes the Star Wars IP among many other things.
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

True, the purchase was for LucasFilm. But if you're going after LucasFilm and paying billions of dollars, you aren't doing so just to get your hands on the Willow franchise. ;)

If anyone was looking at purchasing LucasFilm, they had their eyes on the big prize, and that's Star Wars.
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."
    :(:mad:
    This quote is what I literally felt after watching The Last Jedi. I grew up watching Star Wars and have been a fan ever since. However, this so called new trilogy is dead to me and do not plan to see episode 9 nor the Han Solo movie no one asked for. For me the franchise lives on via Star War Rebels. In all honesty, I believe Kathleen Kennedy should stay as president of Lucasfilm and handle the business end of things but the creative control should be given to the team behind Star War Rebels
    • Like x 1
  7. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Rebels rebel no more, cancelled, last 2 ep kind of cleared up some stuff but left more questions
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not canceled, ran it's full course.

The show started 5 years before ANH, so it was going to have to end before it ran into the movie's activities.

Dave Filoni is currently working on another animated series. I don't think anything official has been said yet but speculation is that it will take place some time after RotJ.
  9. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I would argue that those aren't really fans, they just think they are.

Now I'm not saying to be a fan you must like everything, that's not possible and far from reality. There is going to be hits and misses for each person. But this hatred and venomous anger isn't fandom, it's internet behavior acting as fandom and its a virus, infecting all fan bases out there.
    • Like x 1
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

So true
    • Like x 1
  11. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Actually, it was cancelled,ratings was down,they decided to pull the plug, so cancelled/ran it's course, it's all the same ,it went bye bye
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Didn't know you were a high-level TV Executive to know those facts
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It doesn't exactly help when some fans develop unrealistic expectations about the films or the direction the story ends up going in, and when those expectations aren't met they can get cranky. For example, some Last Jedi complaints were about the movie not going more into Snoke's background, but that ended up being a fan expectation more than anything else. The director himself said he never gave any indication that he was going to go into Snoke or his background.

A film or story not going in the way you expected it to doesn't automatically make the end product bad. It just means it went a different direction than you expected. Best personal example is from the Clone Wars cartoon series and how they handled Mandalorians. Up to that point I had read through the Republic Commando books and some of the other Mandalorian lore written up by author Karen Traviss. I liked what she had come up with, felt it was unique and thought it made for an interesting counterpoint to Jedi in the Star Wars universe. So I was interested to see how it would be handled in the Clone Wars series.

None of that was really used, though. They went for yet another (for lack of a better term) democratic monarchy (elected royalty) in how Mandalorian leadership was handled and it ended up just feeling like a more barren version of Naboo to me, only this time the Queen was associated with Obi-Wan instead of Anakin. Was I disappointed? Sure, I won't deny that. But the stories they told with that setup were decent stories and provided some nice character development for the characters in the show. Plus it was used later on in the series and possibly to an extent in Rebels (never got around to watching that so I can't be sure).

It might also help if folks actually got into the details of what didn't work for them. Someone just throwing out vague comments/condemnations about the film doesn't exactly promote any sort of opportunity to actually discuss things. To be blunt about it, it just ends up coming across as something of a temper tantrum because things didn't go their way.
    • Like x 2
  14. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

They tell you what the Resistance should be about... If all you got out of the Canto Bight scene was that animal cruelty is bad then you need to pay closer attention. But if that wasn't enough, Rose Tico actually says what the movie is about.
    • Like x 1
  15. stärnbock Devoted Player

in my oppinion, it was clear that someone would profit from the war, based on the fact that the first order had to build all those excessively huge flagships like the star destroyer, death stars and TIE fighters... so, that someone would profit from building all those came as no surprise... although i would have even gone so far to think the hwole galaxys economic is build on, if not massively influenced by the war as buiseness. so many ppl had to work on those for example... granted: the only surprice was that the same ppl sell theyr stuff to both the first order and the rebels, wich could also be a plothole. i mean, there is no way they could work for both of them at the same time...

then there is rose. first off, her sister has died for trying to kill as many ppl as possible when she destroyed the dreggnaut. that may be sad and all, but think what would have happened if that dreggnaut had followed the rebels through hyper space... also: holdo had her moment when she made her suicide kamikaze, saving everyone she loved... while also of course trying to kill as many enemies as possible with it. and what would have happened if she had not? basicly the first order could have oblitered the rebels on not-hoth. they could have destroyed them from outer space with all the weapon power they had. then of course when rose "saved" fin, she could not have known that the milenium falcon would save them, noteworthy right in front of how many of those enemy walkers? so, she basicly would have doomed not only all the ppl she still could have cared for, but also fin and herself... oh well... deus ex machina happend, but still: that was about the worst line within an unapropriate situation in cinema history...
  16. stärnbock Devoted Player

oh yeah, and kapitalism is evil too...!
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ok, first off, war profiteers have never exactly been looked upon kindly, especially those who indulge in double dealing (selling to both sides). Tony Stark's move away from arms dealing and profiting off of war was a huge step for him becoming a hero both in the Iron Man comics and films but also something that came back to haunt him more than once.

Secondly, I'd recommend against trying to put some kind of moral equivalency on the Resistance. Considering the actions taken by the First Order during The Force Awakens (slaughtering a village, destroying entire planets via a Death Star-like superweapon), I don't think that's going to carry well.
  18. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

No, actually it was ended not canceled.

The show was planed from start to finish, this ending was how things were always going to go.

Ratings had nothing to do with it, the show is outside of any ratings system, being that Rebels is on a paid cable channel that the show is the primary reason to have the channel to most people.

But true in the end, the show is over.

Clone Wars, now that was canceled. They had at least one more season set with a full conclusion but had to scramble to rap things up.
  19. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

What Rose said was mostly for Fin's story arc but I guess does work for a larger message as well. Her words put a finishing touch on the whole point of Canto Bight (poorly developed scenes and to long, unfortunately). To have him choose his path in life.

The true message of the film is failure and learning to deal with it, with a side of, actions have consequences.
    • Like x 1
  20. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

The movie novel has been released.