Star Wars, The Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Was just thinking of movies
    They could go the way of "Rogue One" and have a group of people no one had ever heard of before with no real connection to any of the 'main' characters
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That or they could go the "recasting" route like they did with Solo, but for diehard/don'twannaseechange fans that might be a bridge too far.

Bit of a shame, because while it wasn't a blockbuster film or anything I thought the new actors for Han and Lando in Solo did a good job.
    • Like x 1
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

"Solo" worked, POO, because it was a young Solo and Calrissian, a 'bridge' between RoTJ and TFA wouldn't work with a recast, and, unfortunately, only Hamill (and possibly Williams) is left who is willing to reprise his role, so having a different story (like "Rogue One") would be best
  4. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Actually, Ahsoka has become one of the most loved characters. True she was hated at first but the writing for her got better and people warmed up to her.
  5. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Like willflynne said there will be The Mandalorian, that is set about 3 years after RotJ but it's in the outer rim territory so it wont have much to do with the reforming of the Republic.

That time period for the most part is going to be done in book/printed form (like the Aftermath trilogy) not movies. People wouldn't except anything that didn't have the original characters and recasting also wouldn't be acceptable (though people seem ok with recasting Luke for some reason :confused:).

We already saw how the First Order got rid of the New Republic government in The Force Awakens. The Resistance was an organization separate from the government, formed by Leia to deal with the growing threat she believed the First Order was. She had to do that because the government refused to do anything. Prior to TFA it was just your normal political body, with all the good and bad of it.
    • Like x 1
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Which is why had put 'hated' in quotes, and rolled-eyes at the end :p

"Rogue One" only had two Original Characters: Mothra and that General Guy (six if you count the brief CGI of Leia and Tarken, Vader slicing up the Alliance soldiers and possibly the captain of 'diplomatic ship'. can't even remember if Artoo or Threepio had a cameo...)
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The droids were there. Briefly seen, just before all the Rebel ships took off to assist the Rogue One crew.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh right, thought they might have had a brief cameo on the Tantive IV (finally remembered the name :D)
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Nope, just checked, you see them in the hangar on Yavin as the ships are scrambling to assist at Scarif but not on board the Tantive IV.
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That... doesn't make sense: they were handed over to the captain of Tantive IV and told to wipe Threepeo's memory at the end of RotS
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Doesn't mean they were relegated to staying on board the ship at all times. With the way the metallic twosome followed after/along with the heroes of the OT it's not too surprising that they stayed close to their current owner.

There may be a continuity error there, though. The Tantive IV was docked with the Mon Calamari warship above Scarif, but I can't remember if it was sent along with that Admiral or if it traveled there as part of the large scramble (there were a lot of ships jumping in from hyperspace in that scene).

If it was docked with the Mon Cal ship the whole time and was already there when the Rebels got the reports from Scarif then there's an error. But if the Tantive traveled there on its own and then docked after the plans were transmitted then the R2/C-3PO scene is probably fine.

Dang it all, now I'll have to watch more of the movie later to make sure. LOL
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, there was a scene before the whole "scramble the fleet to Scarif" sequence where Bail Organa is talking with Mon Mothma about returning to Alderaan and sending for Obi-Wan, and you hear a call for Captain Antilles overhead, but that's about it.

There's nothing definitive in the film that shows if the Tantive IV hitched a ride with the Admiral's craft or was part of the scramble and docked after the Admiral's ship was disabled to keep the plans from falling back into the hands of the Empire. So it's entirely possible that the droids still made it onto the Tantive IV before the battle.
  13. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

There is about, maybe a 30-ish year gap between ROTJ and TFA? You can fit in a lot of stuff in there. I would like a bunch of Jedi padawans of Luke, when he was building his order, (maybe even a young Kylo), go on some kind of adventure of sorts. That would connect the OT to the sequels.
  14. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

If Disney released it during the it's usual Star Wars December date it would've been much more of a big deal. Sadly, it didn't, it was such a good film. And yeah, Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were just fantastic as Han and Lando, respectively.

Hopefully Solo 2 will happen someday. So many possible plots for a great sequel.
    • Like x 1
  15. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

I was scrolling through some of my old Legends (EU) books and comics and I remembered my most favorite story arc that happened post-OT in Legends: The Yuuzhan Vong War. Oh boy that was awesome. Anyone else remember or know what that is. That really brought out the SW nerd in me :D
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Never personally read The Yuuzhan Vong War books, butt do remember the fan-hate (which is possibly why Lucas finally stepped back in and stated all books post-RotJ weren't canon, which is a shame, seeing how you did get some good books and characters during that period: like Insane Icearze and her Imperial Star Destroyer 'buried' under Coruscant, with it's ingenious plan of having the gravity control turned upside down so prisoners thinking they were climbing to freedom were actually heading deeper underground :D)
    Wasn't that also where someone killed Chewie by literally dropping a moon on his head? :(

Oh, and who could forget the Solo twins, and their little brother Anakin Solo :(
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Can't really say the same. For me it dragged on too long and ended up being a slog to get through. Plus it was hard for me to shake the impression of the Vong being a biological version of the Borg as the series progressed.

When I did some cleaning out of my book collection, the Vong books were one of the first things to go. I enjoy going back and reading some of the older stuff from Zahn or Traviss and some other SW-related odds and ends, but one read-through of the Vong war was enough.
  18. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

I actually agree with you that the story arc did drag on a bit too much but the reason I like it so much was because of the Vong themselves. They were such a cool concept, especially since they hated tech in the universe of Star Wars, where everything is tech. Would love to see some kind of cinematic or television adaption of Legends storylines. I would actually love a Clone Wars-esque Old Republic tv show. Really wish Disney uses more Legends content.

One of my other favorite story-arcs post-OT was the Darth Krayt one.
  19. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Yeah Chewie couldn't be saved in time as a planet's moon crashed down on said planet. Han blamed Anakin for Chewie's death, as Anakin, sort of forgot to save Chewie. It was pretty intense.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Believe Anakin Solo died young, either way, fairly sure Chewie died saving someone who had been knocked unconscious (by throwing them at the Falcon)