Rage tank miniguide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Deathmike, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Deathmike Devoted Player

I can't really think of any advice for Nexus in particular.
    If power is not an issue, you just spam powers and your health won't even budge (even if you miss canceling the crashes from time to time).
    If you're not getting that much power try getting some counters in on the bosses.
    There is huge room for error when running Nexus, you're probably more worried than you should be.
    Good luck!

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 1
  2. LooseWiring Active Player

I seriously should have read this thread before.

I do not play the game with sound because usually I only get to play after my family goes to sleep.

For some reason I was under the mistaken impression that rage mode lasted the full cooldown and that Outrage or EC completely cancelled rage mode and that I would not crash after that point.

DM, I do have one question. You say you are liking at your combat logs while running.

Are you just looking at the Combat tab or are you using an app of some sort that parses the actual file?

Thanks for all the great advice.
  3. Deathmike Devoted Player

When I want to test something, I switch to the combat log and start recording.
    Then I review the video.

Deathmike out.
  4. Lament Configuration New Player

Quick question: If the effect of remoreseless recovery lasts as long as its cd, won't it serve as a dampener as long as it is on cd as well? I only ask because I'm running ragebringer, without mercy, e-chain, severe punishment, remoreseless, and ire as my loadout right now. should I just run ragebringer or without mercy to have another crash mitigator on there?
  5. Deathmike Devoted Player

That is correct; that is also the case for Violence and Bloodlust (but not for Galling and Lacerate).

There are a lot of ways of making it work. Personally, I run without Ragebringer way more often than I run without Without Mercy but it depends on the content and your style.

Deathmike out.
  6. Starbrand Dedicated Player

I am new to tank as Rage, so...

When I must cast the power to prevent Rage Crash, exactly?

After the "heartbeat"?

When the "heartbeat" gets really fast?

Thanks for any advice.
  7. Miike Fury Well-Known Player

if you're looking at the power icon on the bottom, you want to use the preventing power between 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock if you look at it like a clock
  8. Starbrand Dedicated Player

Got it.

But I want to know too the sound tip... :)
  9. Truthgasm New Player

I rage tank, I don't really rely on the sound because sometimes it's just unreliable. I run severe punishment then once it reaches halfway on cooldown I cast either Ire or Ferocity for control resistance and as soon as the animation for those powers is done I cast e-chain that way I'm able to cancel rage crash without any problems. Hope this helps.
    • Like x 1
  10. Starbrand Dedicated Player

Good tip, thanks to both!
  11. Deathmike Devoted Player

As others have said, your best reference is the cooldown animation on the icon.
    So it's about 7 o'clock if you combo and about 8-8.5 o'clock if you don't.
    As you play you can also have a number of other references.
    For example, if I'm using one-handed, I know that I can pull exactly two dual flurry mastery combos back to back between entering rage mode and a successful RC cancel.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 1
  12. Zeikial Committed Player

My thoughts exactly, your buffing your health so high, and not taking in enough damage to see any threat when you crash, hence believing mitigators stack.
  13. JackMeister New Player

Guys, what are your thoughts on using Galling Eruption as a dampener? I've always wanted to put it in my loadout simply because it's my favorite move, but it seems too power hungry and too far down the tree when other rage crash dampeners like Remorseless Recovery/Bloodlust/Violence are around.
  14. Deathmike Devoted Player

There are two things wrong with Galling:
    - You need to sit in the plasma for it to work
    - It has a 12 seconds duration like BL/RR/Vio but, unlike them, it's cooldown is 16 seconds (BL/RR/Vio have a 12 second cooldown)
    So yeah.. longer cooldown but the same effect duration, high power cost, you need to sit in it.. so not really that good.
    One of the nice things is that if you combo into the precision version it's damage will be returned as healing if RR is active.
    As a dampener it's arguably the worst (definitely worse than BL/RR/Vio, arguably worse than Lacerate as well).
    You can still use it from time to time to spice things up a bit.

Deathmike out.
  15. yayagsc New Player

i have a scrub question
    when do i use the rage crash cancelling move?
    i play with my volume down so i cant hear it
    I know that you can time it with a move in your loadout but i dont
    know with and when to do it
  16. Chewy Stuff Well-Known Player

Seriously? Put in 30 seconds to read some posts just above yours. Irks me when people already have food nicely placed in front of them yet still wait to be spoon fed.
  17. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Thanks for the guide, DM. The PP placement of the powers is so good, I was able to take 5 innates, so I have the damage innates too. Also speccing crit chance in the weapon trees too if I need to place SP somewhere.
    • Like x 1
  18. infinitygauntlt Well-Known Player

Merry Christmas and thanks for the guide I have a cr111 firetank and ice tank. I'm interested in trying rage!
    To see what the buzz is about!
  19. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

A few questions:
    • I've been afraid to test it ... do crash dampeners stack? So, you can use two at any point, and never have to worry about timing? Thinking about using Remorseless Recovery and Bloodlust, and just trying not to get countered and take more damage than what my health is worth. Playing without the sound on, if I'm not paying attention to my bar, I'm crash-prone.
    • Resto helps other tanks' mitigation ... including Earth and Ice ... how does it factor in for Rage? Is it only for self-heals like Ire, or can it also help with mitigation somehow (health or crash amount maybe)?
    • I assume the healing crits only work for self heals not rage-mechanic heals? Thinking: if mechanic heals crit, then if you're low on health but not power, using your rage mechanic and then cancelling will slowly bring your health bar back up by healing you for more than the damage you're taking. It might be worth throwing some extra into those crits, then.
  20. Ichiro Loyal Player

1. From my experience I don't think these stack. I use violence with remorseless and if I don't cancel it is always 50% of the damage dealt. the only one that I suspect might stack is gailing but have never tried it.
    2. Resto doesn't help with mitigation. It is better to increase dom so you can stack your health. I didn't find anything useful for Resto in my rage build. If you use redirect rage shield it would help the strength of that shield. Most of the small heal powers are based on damage dealt.
    3. I never have seen a healing crit from rage mode in the about 2 years of time I have been rage. It only heals back the damage dealt so there is no way to increae your health with the rage mechanic. there are powers that give you some healing back but they are small heals when compared to the damage you are recieving.
    • Like x 1