Rage tank miniguide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Deathmike, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Deathmike Devoted Player

Power Costs
    150 - Bloodlust, Relentless Anger, Severe Punishment
    200 - Ragebringer, Rage Blast, Eviscerating Chain, Lacerate
    225 - Plasma Retch
    250 - Revenge, Outrage, Remorseless Recovery, Violence, Ferocity, Ire
    275 - Dreadful Blast
    285 - Frenzy
    300 - Without Mercy, Redirected Rage
    350 - Channel Hate, Galling Eruption

The health buff mechanic
    - Each time you cast a power (any non-supercharge power*) when in tank stance your health will increase by 2/3 of your Dominance per nearby enemy.
    - Health buffs can stack endlessly.
    - Enemies need to be in a 15 meter range** around you in order to contribute to the buff.
    - Each buff lasts 12 seconds.

*Most supercharges don't trigger a health buff but there are some that do (Dash Attack, Pheromone Bloom, Word of Power).
    **As a reference, 15 meters is the exact range of Without Mercy.

The Rage Mode mechanic
    When casting either Relentless Anger or Severe Punishment you enter Rage Mode.
    The duration is 8 seconds and the cooldown is 10 seconds (you can re-enter rage mode 2 seconds after it ends)
    During Rage Mode all damage you receive is auto-healed. The heal has a small delay so you can still be killed by
    several hits in a quick succession even if none of them is powerful enough to kill you by itself.

When rage mode ends you will find yourself in one of the following situations:
    A) You are casting a rage nullifier (Eviscerating Chain, Outrage, Revenge, Dreadful Blast, Plasma Retch)
    - This is the best scenario: you will not receive any damage from the Rage Crash.
    - Both the initial cast and the combo (where applicable) nullify the damage (so if you combo you
    increase the window of rage crash immunity; the downside to comboing is that the combos are vulnerable either
    to block or to interrupt).
    B) You are under the effect of a rage crash dampener (Lacerate, Violence, Remorseless Recovery, Bloodlust, Galling Eruption)
    - You will receive half of the damage you have been dealt during rage mode.
    - Unlike the nullifiers, there is no issue with timing here; if, for example, you clip Severe Punishment
    with Bloodlust when you cast it your back will be covered.
    C) None of the above
    - You will receive the full damage right in the kisser.

The rage crash will also be entirely avoided if:
    - You have escaped combat mode.
    - You are under the effects of the Vindictive supercharge.

Overview of powers
    Severe Punishment
    - This is used to enter rage mode
    - The main advantage of this over Relentless Anger is that it grants a 10% health buff.
    - Even though rage mode lasts 8 seconds and the cooldown is 10 seconds the health buff itself lasts 12 seconds.
    This means that the 10% extra health can be permanently on.
    - The 10% is added to your full buffed health not just your base health.

Remorseless Recovery
    - In tank stance it returns all precision-based damage you deal as healing.
    - It works with: weapon combos, rage combos (Eviscerate, Extra Measure etc.), precision-based versions of rage powers (Galling Eruption, Violence etc.), the extra damage done by a successful blockbreak or interrupt counter (but not the damage done by a successful block counter).
    - It's effect is as long as it's cooldown (12 seconds) so it can be permanently active.
    - Each healing tick is capped at [Restoration+Dominance+1].
    - Rage crash dampener.
    - Can clip other powers.

Bloodlust
    - Increases precision by 45% and critical chance by 10% for yourself and 3 lucky group members.
    - Really low power cost.
    - It's effect is as long as it's cooldown (12 seconds) so it can be permanently active.
    - Rage crash dampener.
    - Can clip other powers.

Violence
    - Damages and knocks down enemies.
    - Keeps damaging enemies that are in range.
    - Both it's duration and it's cooldown are 12 seconds.
    - Rage crash dampener.

Lacerate
    - Spins you around for about 4 seconds damaging and juggling enemies that are in range.
    - You can hold melee to cancel and perform a precision version.
    You can do this at any time during the spin; if you do it right at the end you can basically double
    it's duration.
    - Cooldown is 12 seconds.
    - Cooldown starts ticking after you stop spinning (for whatever reason - being countered,
    jump cancelling it, being CC'ed out of it etc.) or when you combo into the precision version.
    - Rage crash dampener.
    - Unlike RR/BL/Violence the rage crash dampening effect does not last it's full cooldown.
    The effect is still longer than the spinning animation.
    You need to cast Lacerate after you enter rage mode for it to dampen the effect of the crash.
    Anytime after will do; the animation may stop before the crash but it will still work
    (even if cast immediately after entering rage mode and even if it is countered by a block).
    - Has exactly the same range as Violence.

Eviscerating Chain
    - Rage crash nullifier.
    - Advantages over other nullifiers: it has a lower power cost and it's not a lunge.

Ragebringer
    - Multitarget ranged conal pull.
    - Really good health stacker (low cost, low cooldown, fast animation).
    - Heal equal to the damage done (in tank stance).

Without Mercy
    - 360 degrees AoE pull and a knockback at the same time.
    - A solid Crowd Control move.
    - Good range and reasonable cooldown.
    - It's usable while controlled which is a nice perk.
    - Heal equal to the damage done (in tank stance).

Ferocity/Ire
    - They both have the same cooldown (20 seconds) and power cost.
    - They will free you from control effects and grant CC resistance to you and your teammates in tank stance.
    - Ferocity grants 45% extra precision for roughly 5 seconds (the effect stacks with Bloodlust).
    - Ire grants a heal (the magnitude of which is higher in tank stance).

Redirected Rage
    - 15 seconds duration (longer than any other shield in game).
    - 22 seconds cooldown.
    - Damage absorption is capped at [Restoration+Dominance+10].
    - Currently breaks after a number of hits like healer shields do - this is most likely not intended.

Misc pieces of advice:
    - Don't waste power/cooldowns on casting powers out of range of mobs thus losing potential additional health buffs.
    - Spam Ragebringer when you're not doing anything else.
    - When filling skill points go for second tier dominance before first tier health.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 28
  2. Deathmike Devoted Player

Reserved.

Deathmike out.
  3. Deathmike Devoted Player

Reserved.

Deathmike out.
  4. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Oh lord.. Deathmike I would hate healing you. I finally got my resto to 4500.
    Sadly this will not be enough to heal you.. :( buffs only get me to 7300.
    o would need 10k resto to keep u even barely alive :eek:
  5. Tallion Well-Known Player

Been waiting for a beast tank to chime in, very useful guide, one question though.
    Have you done some calculations on what the best way to mod a rage tank is?

I dunno if i did it right but according to my calculations, health modding grants you the biggest initial health boost through severe punishment (10% base health + 2/3 dom added to health for power activation in tank role), but health stacks by using powers aren't that high.
    With Dom modding i find the exact opposite effect, not a huge initial health boost from severe punishment but bigger health stacks from using powers.

Most people i've seen go Dom/Health but i dunno...

For the record SP does take that 10% from your base health right, or can i health stack and SP to get 10% of my buffed health? that would seem a bit OP.
  6. CharlieFantom Well-Known Player

Now how does damage out play into self heals or was it health buffing?
  7. Deathmike Devoted Player

Severe Punishment adds 10% of your buffed health, not base. I tested this explicitly.
    Dom/Health and pure Dom are roughly equal when facing a single enemy (either can lead depending how often you cast powers).
    Pure dom starts winning when facing multiple enemies.
    Overall I'd pick pure Dom if I had to pick between the two.
    My personal preferance is Dom/Precision.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 2
  8. Tallion Well-Known Player

Remorseless recovery turns damage out into healing in.
    • Like x 1
  9. Tallion Well-Known Player

So i can stack my health and end the rotation with SP? wow.
    The Dom/Prec mods sounds interesting, i assume you run with remorseless recovery then? and do you ever block or...?
  10. Deathmike Devoted Player

While under the effect of Remorseless Recovery you receive 1 point of healing for each point of damage dealt.
    If you drop a smokebomb and it hits an enemy for 2k damage you get 2k healing from it.

Health buffs just depend on the number of powers you cast.
    The more powers you cast (while enemies are in range) the more your maximum health increases.
    The current health you have scales linearly with your maximum health.
    Example:
    - If you have 600/1000 health
    - Your dominance is 150 and you have one enemy near you
    - You cast a power and your maximum health will increase by 100 (2/3*150)
    - Then you will have 660/1100 health

The same happens when you lose health buffs.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 2
  11. CharlieFantom Well-Known Player

Ok thanks, wasn't sure if there was another mechanic at work. As far as remorseless, have not fully tried this yet but am aware. Thanks
  12. Deathmike Devoted Player

You can always stack health. It doesn't matter when you cast SP.
    The 10% from SP is always added on top of everything else.

You can go to a training dummy then cast SP and then another power and then right down your health.
    After the buffs wear off cast the powers in reverse order and you will see that you will have the same amount of health.

Deathmike out.
  13. Lacedog Loyal Player

clean, simple, and to the point. i like.
    • Like x 2
  14. Lacedog Loyal Player

i wasnt sure about it before, but now that i tested it myself, severe punishment is a 10% health boost period. not just to your buffed health. to see this fly out over the ocean and check before and after activating it.
  15. Deathmike Devoted Player

Yhea, by buffed health I meant your full health ([Base]+[Tank buffs]+[Other buffs*]).
    *Like tank trinket for example.

Basically it's the best way it could be.
    I made a small edit in phrasing at the relevant part in the guide to hopefully make this more clear.

Deathmike out.
  16. KemistiOMG Committed Player

Lol all i can think with this guide is "how long until we see some wannabe Deathmike videos".
  17. spack2k Steadfast Player

i dont think the prec buff of ferocity last 6 second its more like 2.5
  18. Cycl0ps Devil New Player

Personally I think punishment tree is meant for tanking and maybe only ferocity will be useful for me. My rage crash immune power is revenge. It gets me back to block almost immediately as the animation is short and I clip violence with severe punishment for the 50% rage crash dmg reduction. violence is a cc as well!

My loadout is ire, felocity,sp,vio,rev, rage bringer/no mercy/redirected rage depends on situation.

Didn't know clown box can give us immunity as well, nice info from deathmike.
  19. Tallion Well-Known Player

Would ferocity stacked with bloodlust be worth it on a tank build in terms of self heals?
  20. Zeo Committed Player

Thanks for this guide, it helped me a lot. Now that I'm getting used to use Eviscerating Chain I'm starting to think that Vindictive is a waste and I want another SC on my bar, that shield doesn't last very long due the hit number limitation =( it's only a waste of power for me, I rather have something else.

My loadout is:
    Ragebringer - Without Mercy - Eviscerating Chain - Remorseless Recovery - Severe Punishment

I'm thinking in put Infuriate on my loadout for make DPS's happy, since I don't DPS I don't know if the healing bonus worth.