Rage tank miniguide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Deathmike, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Mick Nugget New Player

This might be a noob question but im just gonna ask it anyway cuz i need some advice. I tried tanking Dawn the other day and got it handed back to me by the big fat clown and all his buddies at the last room with tala. Any suggestions for trying to tank what, 15 clowns it felt like? at the same time. I really just started learning to tank on a fresh tank toon and Idk with all those clowns it was hard to see who was hitting me with what. Do I just pop my rage mode and block or am i supposed to try and fight all those guys?
  2. Deathmike Devoted Player

A rage tank surrounded by lots of adds is like a fish in the sea.
    Just entering rage mode and blocking is pretty much the worst thing you could do.
    You don't necessarily need to "fight" them per se.
    What you want to do is use as many powers as possible (while also keeping positioning in mind).
    The more powers you use, the more health you have.
    If, for example, you're fighting 15 clowns (and they are all in a 15m range of you) and you use 7 powers per 12/seconds interval,
    you will have a health buff of 70*Dominance (which, depending on your dominance, is either huge or very huge).

CC is also a very good way to mitigate incoming damage when you're fighting controllable adds.
    Without Mercy by itself is enough to give you good CC, you don't need any other CC option if you have it on your loadout.
    Also don't underestimate the CC that your weapon can do.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 2
  3. Rox New Player

Deathmike can you please test this out for me because it could just be the placebo effect on me.

When you use a rage canceling power such as Dreadful Blast it seems like a long a you keep combining then the crash ignorer around you head keeps going. If this is true would it be more beneficial to use dreadful blast over eviserating chain
  4. Deathmike Devoted Player

In tank stance Dreadful Blast has a single combo (the second combo is exclusive to damage stance) so it offers no advantage over chain in this regard.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 1
  5. Mick Nugget New Player

Thx, I guess I should have known that, but it was like when they kept knocking me down I started panicking and focusing only on hitting my canceller so that I wouldn't crash. Next time I'll just focus on hitting my three buffs no matter what, giving me tons of health to start off with then maybe I don't have to worry so much about how much damage I took,

Speaking of that, do you know if, for instance I get my health up to like, 30 grand, does it make a difference what order I hit my powers in to "lock in" that 30 grand, for example hitting severe punishment first or last? The reason I ask is that im wondering if while im in rage mode I take, say 15 grand in damage it will be subtracted from 30 grand instead of my normal health? Is that even how it works or does it work differently from that?
  6. Lacedog Loyal Player

The way I understand it, severe punishment adds 10% of your current health to itself. So say if you do like I do, and lunge in, hit without mercy clipped with bloodlust clipped with severe punishment, you'd get three stacks and then 10% added on top of that health.
  7. Deathmike Devoted Player

I view the health buffing and the ability to half the rage crash damage as my main tools of tanking and the full cancel just as bonus.
    It's usually good to cancel if you can (and you can most of the times) but if you do everything else right missing a cancel isn't a big deal.

All powers are equal with respect to the health buffing mechanic.
    The order in which you cast them makes zero difference.
    Each time you cast a power a 12 seconds buff gets generated. The magnitude of the buff depends on the number of enemies in a 15 meter range around you at the moment of the cast. It makes no different what kind of power it is.

The 10% from SP will always be on top of everything else. Even of buffs from powers cast after it.
    Each time your health changes the 10% gets readjusted.
    So for your example, indeed you get 3 stacks and then 10% extra health (10% of your full health) but you can achieve the exact same effect by casting the powers in any different order.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 2
  8. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

Great guide. Thanks for the work DM. Rage has made me love tanking again.
    • Like x 2
  9. Mick Nugget New Player

Thx, Ill take another stab at Dawn this weekend, If i can remember to stay buffed up I think I should be able to handle it.
  10. Rox New Player

Question about galling eruption

If a dps uses it and if I were to tank in it does it reduce the crash I I happened to crash? Or is it only your plasma.
  11. Deathmike Devoted Player

I don't know, I never had a chance to test that.

Deathmike out.
  12. Rox New Player

Oh please do test if your on the USPS server I could help.
  13. Dr celestino New Player

Is every power a health buff so far I can only see a buff for severe punishment..... And I hear it only stacks which is great with close by adds and not a final raid boss.... And what is that 7.5 super charge is it to decline servere punishment and relentless anger.... I only got rage thinking it had a earth or ice type buff defense.. with a health buff you gotta block more it seems.
  14. Deathmike Devoted Player

I'm on USPC. Don't know if/when I'll test this.

It should be pretty easy to test if you get a buddy.
    Just go to some trash mobs in the open world or queue up for a duo.
    Have your buddy use galling then enter rage mode immediatly after.
    Let the add/adds hit you and just wait for the crash to come and see if you get the full crash visual effect or not.

To be 100% sure you also want to check the combat log and add the healing you receive from rage mode and see if the added amount equals double the damage of the crash.

If you(or anyone else) do test it out feel free to share the results.

Deathmike out.
  15. Deathmike Devoted Player

The 10% Health buff from SP is just part of the effect of that particular power.
    It has nothing to do with the main health buff mechanic.
    Every power, when cast in tank stance, triggers a 12 seconds health buff, the magnitude of which depends on the number of enemies around you at the moment of the cast. These stack so the more often you use powers the higher you keep your health up.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 1
  16. Rox New Player

Just tested it I was standing in a DPS's plasma. I took 127 damage and purposely crashed and took 127 damage.
  17. Deathmike Devoted Player

Thanks for sharing.

Deathmike out.
  18. Forced Penance New Player

What white mods do you use when rage tanking?
  19. Deathmike Devoted Player

Weapon - Repleneshing Adapter
    Neck - Fortified Blocking
    Back - Breakout Regeneration
    Chest - Core Strength
    Feet - Inertial Innervation

Deathmike out.
  20. Mick Nugget New Player

Finally got the nerve to go back into Dawn after my last time failing at it, this time I was in full tank gear and I think that was the difference maker, Before, I was in damage gear modded for dom and so my health buff was nowhere close to where it gets up to in full tank gear now.. those clowns couldnt drop my health bar at all and I stayed on my feet using both ferocity and ire.

I didn't even have to use my rage canceller cuz I jumped straight in and popped five powers right away, then kept ragebringing in the stray clowns and adds.

Not looking forward to trying nexus but I guess I gotta learn sometime. Any tips for going into nexus as a tank for the first time?