Livestream Previews: Dark Knights Time Capsule & Metal Part I

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Zneeak Devoted Player

Sweet, I am hoping that Friday's livestream gives us a set date for when in September we'll get the new Episode. I got some leftover, paid vacation-days to take out. :cool:
    • Like x 3
  2. hero turner Well-Known Player

Or make a artifact or a augment of the same thing and let us integrate them on our toons and or gear.
  3. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I just finished slogging through it. Definitely not a story for me. Someone described it as something a 13-year-old edgelord wannabe would write, and that seems to be a generous description. Full of cliches and themes that have been done to death by better writers.

I'm annoyed that DCUO is doing two DLCs in a row based on it, only because it holds absolutely no interest for me. If they'd broken it up I would have been fine. But two in row? Pity. I hope they never make this mistake again with any content - even something I love. Two DLCs in a row based on the same story risks alienating a large portion of their audience, no matter how "good" the story.

We could have had interesting content in between. Instead we get unrelenting dark Batman for 10 months or so. And *that* after a "dark" storyline set in Gotham that's lasted five months so far, and might go to six months if the next DLC drops in late Sept.

I hope the writers can come up with something fun for the DLC after this. In the meantime, my playing time is going to be severely curtailed. I might even find a different game while this nonsense story is played out.
    • Like x 7
  4. hero turner Well-Known Player

No puns intended lol
  5. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Brilliant!
    • Like x 1
  6. Myoxz Well-Known Player

I've just finished reading the 6 part arch of Dark Knights: Metal. I know it's not the best story, but it does its part. It left me hopeless for the most part of the story. And there're side stories such as "The Batman who Laughs". I didn't read yet but I heard it's pretty scary.
    So I agree with you. I don't know if the devs are doing the right move by doing two DLC's in a row based on this story. But alas, it's a fact it will happen so we have to suck it up, right?
  7. zor ile Well-Known Player

super cool
  8. myandria Item Storage

It is? Well then, I guess I will have to put my wallet on lock-down; nobody grabs my money that easily!:D;)

But seriously, nothing is really a money grab unless you allow it to grab your money. So, if you don't like it, then you don't have to buy it. If you are not interested, then you don't have to watch or participate in the livestream.

In my opinion, the term *money grab* indicates that something is so important for my day to day welfare that I have to buy it, no matter how it is marketed or how much it costs. I don't have to buy stabilizers for Time Capsules if I don't want to; it won't hinder my progression in the game. People and/ or a service can grab your interest or *entice* you to buy something; however, it is up to you to make that final decision to buy or buy into it. Just sayin'.
    • Like x 4
  9. myandria Item Storage

Thanks guys! This year makes it a full 5 years in remission! I'm celebrating from Wednesday to Sunday!
    • Like x 6
  10. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Well, no. That's the point. We don't have to suck it up. We can leave and find other games to play. Or go outside and learn about fresh air or whatever. And DCUO will lose our money. So it's just bad business to do this.

I expected a Metal DLC. I had hoped there would be just one, but I figured if there were two, they would be split up like every other multi-part story in this game has been split up. So it would be endurable. But they went a different direction. So I'm going a different direction, since I don't want to play with the bondage-derived designs and the unrelenting dark and the incredibly stupid deus ex machina finish.

So I'm *NOT* going to suck it up. If I play at all during these DLCs, it'll be to get through the storyline once (in case by some miracle they manage to improve on it), then just run my stabilizer and vaults. I'm not grinding a story I despise.
  11. hero turner Well-Known Player

Let's give it a chance, see what it's like, then make judgmental remarks, you don't have to like it, or you just might like it, no one is being forced to spend money to purchase anything unless they want to, and or you can get what you want or try to get what you want the old fashioned way by earning it, it may take a while you may have to grind a little, you may not get everything in time but at least you earn what you can without spending money!
    • Like x 1
  12. Zneeak Devoted Player

I hope you realize that the majority of the actual players spending ACTUAL money aren't super comic book-geeks just out to play for the storyline alone, right? Most people are here to play a game, most people won't geek out about certain storylines the way some do.

You can suck it up or don't play, but the fact that still stands whether you chose to play or not, there's a whole bunch of players not caring as much about the storyline as they do about overall, playable content.

If the content is interesting, people will play it, regardless of the storyline. If the content is lacking, people will grow tired of it faster, regardless of the storyline.

You have every right to the opinion of not liking the story of Metal however much you want, but let's stop acting like you'd leave a huge dent in the population for not being catered your prefered storyline. No matter what storyline being presented in any episode, there's always going to be somebody not liking it.
    • Like x 1
  13. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

2 whole months away...i keep saying i will not be max cr in like 3 weeks...but it always happens, maybe if i sub again i will take my time. First break ever since i started playing. I can say i miss my buddies more so than the game.....
  14. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Er. I don't think you actually read what I wrote. I didn't say anything about me leaving a huge dent in the population. I just said it's bad business to run two DLCs in a row with the same storyline. I don't even care if it's my preferred storyline - two in a row with the same storyline will always irritate someone. I mean, just look at the complaints about Atlantis and the Starro thing being too close together. And some people never got over the fact that Wonder Woman got three whole DLCs! But at least those had other content mixed in.

And yes, I understand that some people play the game for the mechanics and not the story. But I know a lot of people who find games with great mechanics and get bored quickly because the story sucks or doesn't exist. So, you aren't talking for all players either. Of course, I never claimed I was talking for everyone. You claim to be speaking for the majority. I think you're wrong.
    • Like x 1
  15. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Oh, god, now THAT might cause me to walk from the game.

DC's exploitation of Alan Moore's work, while perfectly legal -- and he should have known better than to give DC the right to never revert their rights as long as they keep it in print, because only an idiot would agree to that if they didn't like it -- is, in my view, deeply immoral given his endlessly repeated statements that he is opposed to other people making use of these creations of his and that he violently objects to DC holding onto the rights against his wishes, even if they have the law on their side.

If DCUO decided to even further exploit Moore's work, they're certainly legally entitled to, and I'm equally legally entitled to say this disgusts me and I don't want to support a company that exploits a writer against his wishes so flagrantly.

Moral rights aren't legal rights, but disrespecting the rights of creators is pretty darn evil, in my personal view. (I don't require anyone else to agree with me and nobody can tell me that my personal opinion is "wrong." )
  16. The Game Well-Known Player

Lmao I laugh at all the times people defend capsules like it's not a money grab. If you are a person that spends time grinding sp then you do have to spend. RnG is screwed in this game and it takes a long enough time to get 1 stabilizer. **** has always been a grab since the beginning.
  17. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

She said absolutely nothing of the kind.

If she did, quote it.

But you can't, because she didn't. You're making this up. That, or you need to read more carefully.

She wrote:
    Where is there anything about "and therefore my leaving will leave a huge dent in the population?" Quote it. Best of luck with that.
    • Like x 3
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

How much money have you spent on Time Capsules?

None?

So where's the "grab"?

"Money grab" is just a cliche gamers with limited vocabulary like to repeat endlessly, as if it meant something, when it literally isn't a thing. Everything they don't want to buy is somehow a "grab" from them.

By, apparently, magic. How much money did DCUO "grab" from you against your wishes, ever, specifically? What's the amount you were forced to turn over against your will? What did they do to force you to turn over your money?

Don't want to buy something? Then DON'T BUY IT.

But nobody can "grab" your money from you unless they literally can steal it from you. Can they? If so, how, exactly?

Offering to sell something is just that: an OFFER.

Take responsibility for your own decisions. Don't blame other people for allegedly forcing you to give them money. They can't actually do that, can they?

No, you don't. That's just a flat lie. Spending time grinding IS YOUR CHOICE. How childish is it to blame other people for your own lack of control?
    • Like x 2
  19. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

You do realize he's spent the last 20 years or so using other people's characters so he can't really claim the moral high ground. The Watchmen are based on the Charlton comics characters he changed the names at the last minute because DC had plans for the Charlton characters and didn't want him to use them in the miniseries.
    • Like x 2
  20. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Great another batman armor..