Prestige Update: Numbers and Expectations

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Zinbik, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

-Simply because they tried to make things fair in the first place, otherwise, there woudln't have been caps, or diminishing returns.
    I agree not all of the proficencies are useful, so what it's your league decision. Anyway why would a bigger league should have such an advantage over small?

-I dont know about you, but myself i recruit and in my league i've been asked how many proficencies, or if i have a hall or not.
    Any even if there isnt shouts requiring proficencies the final results in the scoreboard that are afected by these proficiencies (And many other factors) tend to make people have a disregard against certain leagues, i've seen it by experience.

-Maybe not 4 but at least 3, and you as probably being in a big league you don't see the same way as i do, being in multiple small leagues. And the thing is that if you check, there are lots of people who enjoy being in small leagues, so in fact i don't see why small leagues can have some benefits too.

And i'm never asking to be at the same level as the big leagues, and never asked to undo the changes, i asked only for small changes to benefit a little more the small leagues, that's all.

Also if you had read my other post you could have seen how i suggest besides proficiencies getting something else to spend with prestiges (besides statuaries and bank) that won't affect gameplay but that can be a bonus for big leagues.

Also because if you do the maths the small leagues will have it hard mantaining at least the important proficencies and progressin in their league hall adquiring bank space of statuaries, that's why i'm asking for some love to the small leagues, I know it's their decision whether they spend the prestige in bank/statuaries or proficiencies, but i mean this is all part of the game and don't tell me people don't enjoy having their stats boosted?.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the changes are coming, wether we like it or not, i was here just giving my opinion, i gave them, and not only me but many other people, now you can say whatever you want and i can say whatever i want but the final decision is from the devs. But if you read the whole thread and not only this one but the last one you can see i'm not the only one displeased about the changes.
    • Like x 1
  2. Ice Lantern New Player

Nobody is stopping anyone from being in small leagues. To be honest, I don't even think that we are disagreeing in terms of principle. We are just disagreeing in terms of where the lines are. Perhaps I look at it differently as a league leader who put in the work to rebuild my league and thus want significantly more benefits. Then again, I look at those numbers in the OP and see no problem with them.
  3. DoIAmuseYou New Player

What kills me, They have a soft cap and a hard cap with both being good safeguards against large leagues hitting the cap (supposedly) so, Why was that not enough, Why this Need to screw over people who choose to be in a small league? Short answer, Its the easy way out, and could sell replays to boot.

Been playing this game awhile and i've never seen such a blatant disregard for a huge portion of the players.

Is the best they could really do is afford small leagues 2 proficiencies a month? that's appalling.
    • Like x 4
  4. ddidderr Well-Known Player

All right. ok. But that's exactly what's NOT happening in this game. My league was on prestige cap a few SECONDS after reset every time. I myself spent so much prestige that we got cap nearly just because of me. Many other people in our league never came to spend their prestige because we are @cap. But as you say it, we are allowed to expect MORE rewards than other leagues who spend less prestige. But that's just not the case. And that's what I am not happy with. We as a league bring more effort but don't get more reward. We just can activate our buffs because we don't want to go without them, but cannot activate statues or bank slots.
  5. BlackIce Level 30

First I have to admint that i personally also have no solution to this problem.
    But the prestige dilemma is something the Devs brought upon themselves and us.

But what i don't understand is the argument that a small Leagues should have to work harder.
    WHY?
    I'm paying my "Legendary" (to remind real money for playing the game) and choose to be in a small League cause it's nice to play with people i know. Is that an argument to punish me?

But on the other hand when i choose to join a League with 100+ different members (not alts), which i don't know and have nothing in common with, then i get everything handled on a silver tablet and don't have to work anymore for getting all proficiencies!?
    Again WHY?

For me this whole concept is really weird!

Basing the Prestige income for a League on sheer member numbers was in my opinion a big mistake from the beginning!
    And donating the gear for good prestige pre GU40 was at least a good way helping small Leagues, which is now gone.

I know. nothing will be changed now, but i at least wanted tell my point of view, even so i could not deliver any solution for the problem.
    But maybe someone can unbiasedly answer my two Questions above.
    • Like x 5
  6. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

The issues with recruiting, and people immediately running to see if there's a hall, and proficiencies, and then inquiring about it is somewhat of a parody of what DCUO has become. Just as quick as these new recruits run to check league info, i'm checking their SP and already determining their response. Seems to me the people with less than 60SP are the first to bring up the above, and then get the boot or leave outright.

Peeps are looking to be carrying by proficiencies that offer the most meager of upgrades - a reason my league has opted not to bother with them at all, and instead work on expanding statuaries (social) and bank capacity (sharing). The folks that stick around are some of the few saving graces that makes playing the game tolerable in the new gen gaming environment. The concept of leagues/clans/guilds becomes lost in translation.

Here's another thought on the subject of prestige and improving the game's functionality: Turn the league hall's command center into a PoC for the game's matchmaking system, allowing league members to interface with matchmaking by pre-emptively opting into duty queues as a secondary & primary measure. Doing so will allow the matchmaking system to retain players for various roles when matchmaking isn't actively searching for a replacement for a missing group member. Couple this with an addition to the matchmaking system where the players in a group that have lost a member can request specifically what role they want to bring into the group. In this case, when the group commands matchmaking to fill in a specific role, priority grouping shifts to those queued through league command centers over randoms strewn about the regular queue.

In the case a group in an instance simply opens up the instance to matchmaking without specifying a role, then matchmaking will attempt to fill a needed role if a particular support role is not available, searching the regular queue first. if that support role is not found, it should not simply fill in with yet another dps, but instead start scanning the league queue, and only then if the particar role cannot be found, will return to the regular duty queue for pairing.

This isn't a new idea- i've posted variants in the past, but the hangup was the reward system. As the currency of 'prestige' was just added, it makes sense to have this implemented as a reward for having league members proactively serve as a buffer, preventing as many mismatched groups from forcibly being selected because there's 'nobody else left'. Not only would this be pushing more players to use their leagues in a fast response team manner similar to how super teams are depicted in comics, but it also improves the health of the game's decrepit PVE matchmaking system, thus improving the experience for those that are looking for balance group composition, or a workable composition if the current group is already mismatched. Your character will be able to represent the league when they opt into the system, and the reward will be prestige APART from any regular prestige earned by completing the mission (if you haven't already and aren't sitting on a lockout). This adds a re-run effect that reward only prestige in exchange for filling out the queues with roles. Not marks. Not gear. Just prestige. A player can spend all day earning prestige this way, actively being sent where they are most needed time and again.
    • Like x 1
  7. Doc Holliday New Player

At the end of the day big leagues will hit that cap easily and little leagues will struggle to reach the cap every week.

Why there is a soft or hard cap is pointless. I read the reasons behind them but there not very good ones IMO.

Just put a cap on spending per week and do way with both the soft and hard earning cap..

Problem solved.
  8. Doc Holliday New Player

I've seen this behavior many times my friend. This is not new and will not change. I have to tell myself that each year I renew my annual sub.

It's just better to accept it at this point in this MMOs lifespan.

It's was a flawed system when it was released and prob take at least two more tweaks before the prestige system is fixed, in my humble opinion.
    • Like x 2
  9. IcyBar Level 30

Mepps I would like you to objectively read my next post and comment on it if you feel like it. And after that I will not bother posting regarding this prestige matter.

I'm taking myself now as example. I'm playing this game now for nearly 3 years. I'm in a competitive EUPC league called "Individuals", which exists for exactly 869 days. I'm in this league for over 2 years and so are 75% of the members that are still active. Obviously we keep on recruiting new members when we feel like our league activity is dropping. I'm proud to say that our league has always competed at top level. We have competed at setting speed-runs when it came to completing a raid and other competitive feats versus other leagues. What I'm trying to say is that we have always been and still are a hard-working and active league, known by the majority of the people in EUPC.

As we are all that above, we are also a league that exists of small bunch of friendly, kind and helpful players that have grown to be friends over the years. I think if we'd talk about activity, we can speak about an activity of 15 to up to 20 players at max, at an active day (and then I'm rounding up).

For our leaguehall we played hardcore to get it as quick as possible, and I really mean hardcore. And as soon as the second week started we were capable to get our leaguehall, because that's the kind of league we are. We always worked hard, and we are one of the best and respected leagues in EUPC. But knowing, that after we get our leaguehall, we won't have to struggle so hard anymore to hit the caps was kind of a relief tbh.

However now with the new update. I, and I can speak for our whole league. We feel a bit trashed away. Especially when I read stuff like: "Some league are not supposed to get certain bonuses, or some are supposed work harder?"

We worked hard to be where we are, and we still work hard to maintain where we are.

Also I'd like to say that EUPC shouldn't be compared to USPC. Our activity is simply lower. Take stable top leagues in EUPC such as Last Laugh, Pwny SlayStations, Valhalla Rising, Happy TreeFriends, MindReaders, Dragons Lair, Allianza, Eternal Renaissance, Guerraras Legendarios, Bad Company, Les Evades, Die Allienz, Endzeit, and even the well known Odyssey. Cross a line through Guerraras Legendarios, and I would like to bet there are no 3 consecutive days where in either one of the other leagues there are 20 players logged in at the same time. Some league may on the other hand started making recruits, which will increase the quantity of the players in their league but reduce the quality.

Don't get me wrong though, I understand and encourage to have a helpful and active community. But I personally already help a lot of people that are leagueless or in different leagues. But we just want to have and will stay a small simple, friendly, but good and competitive league. And this is who we always were.

So if you did take the liberty to read all that, please give me one reason that justifies your way of doing. Or honestly just do it, don't care anymore. But just don't tell us to play more actively or that we don't deserve something. Because then you're just trashing 2+ hard working players away.

Also take into fact that I'm sure that there are no (and if so, not more then 1 or 2) active league who have 100+ active players in EUPC.
    • Like x 6
  10. Aeon Max New Player

True!!!

Amen!!!
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We are paying close attention to your feedback, and will be watching the numbers. But, based on what you describe with ~15 active players a day, you may do a lot better than you think. Remember, that very short list of what we expect an average character to contribute is per week, so it sounds like your league will hit that and more, and land comfortably in the middle of the pack, getting significant and meaningful use out of the prestige system. Please give it a shot for a bit, and let us know how it goes.
    • Like x 6
  12. OGM_Madness New Player

You didn't read what he wrote... he doesn't want to be "in the middle of things", he wants to be in the top. There is no comfort on getting average rewards when the league has good players in it.

I know that this system is not easy to balance, but I think that there is unnecessary levels of balance being invested in this system. Just give us something concrete we can follow and track, rather than poor %'s and guesses.
    • Like x 2
  13. RavenSW Well-Known Player

Its a matter of perspective, 15 player league being on par with a 40 player league is actually more of an accomplishment, but expecting to top leagues that are member capped is unrealistic. There is no fair way to rank leagues, and shouldn't try. League's carry their reputation by how they play and how they interact with larger community as a whole
    • Like x 3
  14. DC-Doll New Player

Agreed. Even before the update the donation box was a joke. Okay a couple grand for T5/T6 gear if the league's not at soft cap, but even the 93 alert drops. Yeesh. 1 prestige? No thanks I'll salvage it.
    • Like x 3
  15. Azrael New Player

With games like Destiny looming closely... reducing prestige from tributes and still imposing diminishing returns is not a great way to go. This will further cause people to login in less or not all.
    • Like x 3
  16. OGM_Madness New Player

I'm looking forward to Destiny, and although I have no immediate plans of putting DCUO on hold, diminishing our Prestige earnings will make me less likely to 'bother' with it than to log in like a maniac on a daily basis just to 'keep up'.

Honestly, if the numbers were like this on Day One, we wouldn't have too much problems, but this is the one THING that bothers me a LOT with DCUO: they give you a candy, you taste the candy, you like the candy, then they take the candy away. They give us Donation boxes and a relatively faster way to earn prestige, then they reduce the amount it gives (PvP gear), then they do it again (marks of fury & triumph) and now Donation boxes are only for decorations. They do the same with powers all the times too (hence we have "Flavor of the Months" discussions). Stick with your choices, stop changing the plan every 2-3 months! It's like the 'last minute' Symbol of Power dilemma. If you are not sure about something, then don't announce it. Once you announce it, don't change it. We hate to see things nerfed to the ground so much!
    • Like x 3
  17. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I see the devs still think they are making the right decisions lol. I'm gonna keep it real here for a minute. You need to think outside the box. Stop using useless graphs and charts where the data is skewed. Just like the WM vs AM chart..that was a joke. listen to the people not some numbers you think are right. If i went by charts and peoples math on the forums i would be a terrible dps cause whats on paper is way different then how stuff turns out in game. Small leagues will suffer A LOT from this its so clear i don't know how you cant see it.

Another thing when you try to balance powers you always turn that into a huge mess to. If you asked someone who doesn't suck and has experience with all the powers they could easily tell you exactly what they needed and didn't need but for some reason you work with not so great players and come up with some of the worst solutions ever. All this power revamp stuff is a huge fail. When WM dropped you could have just balanced the powers to work with WM and fixed the real balance issues but instead and once again you came up with AM which has wasted months of time and still no where near solves the balance issue or is complete. And now max damage lol just get it over with and make every power hit the same and play the same cause thats the road you seem to be headed down.

Sorry i got of topic but the decisions the devs make always try to mask the problems instead of just fixing them.
    • Like x 5
  18. pauleta180 Well-Known Player

I have tried to see if it has been mentioned or not, but with the new boosts out today, do our prestige from bases also increase if we have them purchased at reset?
  19. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

The way you earn prestige needs to somehow be equalled out by league size. Maybe by set numbers like say a league of 8 gets more prestige per raid then a league with 24. That way each league would still have to work evenly to get the same prestige. The league of 8 only has to do one raid to equal said number of prestige. While the league with 24 has to do 3. That way all 24 people in the larger league had to run at least one raid the same as the smaller league had do.

Now I only put a min into thinking about that but that sounds pretty fair to me. If I really gave it some thought I could work out all the numbers and stuff but something like that is prob the best solution. Classifying leagues by size as to how much prestige they earn from instances assures everyone has to work just as hard as the other to earn the same stuff regardless the size of the league.
    • Like x 1
  20. Rubber Chicken New Player

I saw in another thread that GU40 would include donation boxes in the HQ

"A lot of people have asked for this and we decided it wouldn't be as dangerous with the lower Prestige values for Tributes. This way, Leagues may utilize donations as a means to earn their League Halls."

Where are they exactly?!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.