Prestige Update: Numbers and Expectations

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Zinbik, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

lol I have to. we go for quality over quantity thats why we have a smaller league.
    • Like x 2
  2. DoIAmuseYou New Player

It's low per person, not low considering you believe that the 'average' league is 40+ people and you scaled off that to prevent 'average' leagues from coming anywhere close to the cap.

I really don't get this rationalization, were talking about leagues here not individuals, i play as much or more as your average person and with this change your telling me either 1) play even more than I already do to keep my proficiencies and my league intact or 2) join an already large league and wave goodbye to whats kept me playing this game so long, my friends and my league. With this change it's safe to assume that half my league will eventually jump ship seeing the insurmountable workload we would have to undertake to keep our league moving forward. I can also foresee recruiting problems because we don't already have a lot of members.

You really need to think about making allowances for people who WANT to be in a small league, lets say a league of 20 or less makes X amount more per instance or tribute than say a league with 40+ people who will routinely near the cap with next to no effort. ie. If you want to take the easy road with 40+ people you earn the current amount, If you want to work harder with 20 or less than there's a benefit for that too. Why make the ONLY benefit in this current scenario be towards large leagues, i don't get it.
    • Like x 3
  3. Sir Arcanium New Player

Pretty crazy if those numbers are right. It means with these amounts you'll be earning after the cap next to nothing...

• Solo - 100 = 25
    • Duo - 125 = 31.25
    • 4-Man - 300 = 75
    • 8-Man - 400 = 100

Which means for the last 20k after the cap you would have to run about 645 duos or 266 alerts, or 200 on tier raids. Any combination would work but going back to the member math the dev's used.. that's a lot on top of the amount you already had to run to reach the soft cap. Even with a league of 40 people that's 16 duo's each, or about 7 alerts, 5 raids or any combination of those numbers.

Obviously some of those are impossible without replay badges, you can't run 5 on tier raids in a week right now unless your right in the sweet spot between two tiers. Nor can you run 16 duo's currently at Tier 6, 2 per day at 14 a week is the limit per character. Donation and bases will factor into this to some degree, though on PS we don't seem to get that much from bases.

Still the numbers are pointing towards even 40 very active people may not hit the hard cap every week under the new system without replay badges.
  4. Reaper76 New Player

Well not everyone can spend every waking moment on DCUO, some of us actually have to work and pay bills and only get a chance to play when we can, now giving I am a gamer, I play as much as I can when I am not working 60 or more hours a week. So yes I think the players who are not able to play 24/7 should be able to receive the same benefits as the people who do nothing but play the game otherwise it would take you about 5 to 10 years to do anything on this game especially on how high everything is set in here to buy or get and since you can no longer earn stuff as easy as you used to, due to all the people complaining in the first place everything got capped, congrats on that guys way to go!!!!
    • Like x 3
  5. Unida Dedicated Player

aside from all the averages and assumptions, i still feel this is really going to have a massive adverse impact on small and medium leagues.It's such a drastic change and a HUGE nerf to (really) the only way smaller leagues could keep up.

I'd like to see something like this.....

1. keep all tributes etc as they are currently.
    2. make changes to how the post soft cap hit works ONLY. it shouldnt be a chore to get to the soft cap, but if you want to reach hard cap, well yeah, then maybe it should be.
    3. make the diminishing returns more brutal, but achievable within reason.

I'm really feeling for the smaller leagues here, I mean, Lonestars isn't massive - we have a shade over 200 toons on the roster which should probably be cut down by 50 or so, and a group of 15-22 weekly regular people which play anywhere from 2-3 alts on avg as well. We're approaching out 1000 day anniversary and things are going great as they stand now, but this could suck....

Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the theory of numbers and averages and what happens after hitting = on a calculator or summing a column/row in a spreadsheet - sometimes you have to think about what will really benefit the players. GL!

Uni
    • Like x 2
  6. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

The thing i don't get out of all of this is whats the big deal if people could earn a bunch of prestige who's that hurting.....no one. Rite now both big and small leagues are having fun with league halls and that should be the main thing. We already have enough stuff to work towards and even more when the next update hits with the new main frame stuff. Why make having a league hall such a huge grind? The cap in place keeps the larger leagues form obtaining all the buffs and that seems fair to me. The gear donations are great the way they are too, sure rite at the start donations were huge but thats cause everyone has been saving up and it will die down after a while.

Dev's why do you feel you need to change it and make it harder to get prestige?? Whats the big deal just let people have fun. When you make it harder for people to earn prestige it turns into a job and takes the fun out of the game. Then when the smaller leagues cant earn enough to even get 3 buffs then your going to have a ton of complaints about imbalance because other leagues have a bunch of buffs over others. You dumb the dps game down in hopes of balance and even more with the max damage mod then you want to go and do this and create another way to unbalance things....i don't get it???

Just let people have fun don't turn having a league hall into a bothersome grind.
    • Like x 1
  7. graydogg51 Well-Known Player

It's nice to know you are adding access to the donation box only after it becomes essentially useless. That's like giving your plate to a bunch of starving kids only after you've eaten all the food. We don't want your bread crumbs.
    • Like x 4
  8. Omega Boy Committed Player

Wait, 512 from bases counts the boosts, right? We only get those once per month unless that changed. Is the math wrong?
  9. Omega Boy Committed Player

When I said people would give up if not reaching their goals. I meant that small leagues would just give up and join with a larger group. I don't see groups grinding all week to run 2 proficiencies. I'm not worried personally, but it could be a problem. The grind is fairly reasonable, but I have long term concerns. 2 years from now will everyone still want to be grinding to get prestige? It's the only grind in the game with no end.
  10. ErnieB Loyal Player

that's pretty much the point of a demising cap, to hold you down so it will take you longer to reach the hard cap.
  11. TrueArchon Dedicated Player

PRESTIGE:
    (pre-steej / presteezh)
    (noun)1. reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.
    --------------------
    Simple solution:
    For Small Leagues and Leagues still building toward getting a Hall (1 to 'X' members):
    No cap. At all. No diminishing returns.

For Medium Leagues ('X' to 'Y' amount of members)
    They way it is now, with diminishing returns based on a Player cap, instead of the weekly cap.
    This would encourage more league members to actively play, and contribute.

Massive Leagues ('Y' amount of players and up)
    Prestige earned ONLY from instances, with small bonuses awarded to diversity (I.E. the league manages to complete everything on the On-duty menu, at least once each).
    Diminishing returns active on weekly cap.
    • Like x 2
  12. xxOMNIPOTENTxx Committed Player

Certainly a great concept, but feasibility may become an issue with this. People have so many alts in the league that I can see many of them being booted out just for sake of reducing the amount of toons in the league. Not saying that's a bad thing at all however.

I think that the average League with 40 active members isn't a true sample of the DCUO league community. Any tiered system implemented should be used the same way our gear is tiered. Smaller leagues (league size is a hard cap), should be able to earn the same amount of prestige to attribute towards proficiencies as the mega leagues. There should be some type of multiplier up until the hard cap league size.
    • Like x 1
  13. Lando Level 30

In other words, "We've read the majority of complaints we just don't care. We want you to play OUR way in big leagues. If you don't like it you can suffer hahaha we make more money off the new players that don't know we don't care yet anyway. Muahahahahahaha"
    • Like x 4
  14. graydogg51 Well-Known Player

I'll say it again, I like replay badges. They let me play catch up or to grind only the content I like in order to gear up. Manipulating numbers for Prestige in attempt to get me to spend more replay badges isn't going to work. It's actually just ticking me off and making me want to use them less in protest. I'm not using replays to maintain my league hall after you handicap the tributes and donations and I hope others realize what you are doing and don't feed kitty anymore than they already are.
    • Like x 1
  15. xxOMNIPOTENTxx Committed Player

Agree and disagree with you on this statement. I do think that they generally about what the community is pleading about, however, I think that the research that they've done has so many outliers that the data isn't a true representation of the League community. Simple statistics here, that I think is being ignored.
    • Like x 1
  16. Sir Arcanium New Player

Well yeah if their
    Well yeah if their research determined 40-50 player leagues is the 'average' there are some huge holes in their data. Even ignoring the mega leagues that had over 500 member cap we now have you have to consider 'active players'. Lets say the average actually is 40ish players in a league. Divide that by 3 and you might get the actual amount of different users in the league. After all having 3 hero or villain alts isn't uncommon, nor is having them all in the same league. A person can only play one character at a time, and only really devote their full attention to one, maybe two.

So a 40-50 person league might have an actual 13-17 different people who login. Everyone else is most likely an alt. Even if they are not an alt of a character already within the league, their an alt to some one. Which is what most of my league suffers from. Bunch of alts that people login to maybe once a week and some times don't even enter their base in that time lol. 52 members, and maybe 10 of them contributed 90% of the prestige to the league.
    • Like x 1
  17. Badname28 New Player

this change isnt going to kill anything for our league.
    our league has about 75 different characters in it....but only about 15-20 different players.
    of those only about 6-7 of us are reasonably active.....most play about as often as i do.
    I personally have 3 characters in the league.

I consider myself a casual gamer (whatever that means) I play when i have have both the time and desire to play....as of lately that translates to maybe 5-10 hours per week. I squeeze in an alert and maybe a duo before work in the afternoons,maybe i do an alert or a raid after work.
    I may play for a few hours on a day off....maybe not all for days in a row.
    alerts are fairly quick......20-35 minutes depending on the group and the alert.....most duos are done in under 10 minutes.

I dont consider raids a huge source of prestige simply because they can only be done once a week......raids are for gear......everything else is the bread and butter for prestige especially considering the prestige values for instances.

Its just not hard (for me anyways) to finish up 5 alerts,4 duos and 1 raid per week.
    thats 2400 prestige per week before the bases prestige on my 3 toons and before i tribute anything at all.

our league will probably be able to manage 4-6 proficiencies per month which is totally fine. to be honest only about half of them are decent anyways.

You get what you put in....period.....choices have to be made.....and there are pros and cons for those choices.

the problem doesnt lie in the new prestige values.....the problem lies in the attitude of the community.....

just read the posts here and its easy to see.....people want maximum reward for minimum effort. they want to have their cake and eat it too.

and i have to ask myself just how much extra prestige some of these chronic doomsayers could earn if they simply spent half the time they spend trolling these forums actually running content in game??
    • Like x 2
  18. Ice Lantern New Player

Why is that not fair and what would you think is fair? Out of the 13 Proficiencies, our league is only choosing to maintain 8 of them because we don't consider the others that useful. And even then at least two of those eight could easily be cut. So if the expected numbers of proficiencies for a small league is more than 5, then there's really not much of an advantage for bigger leagues.

Perhaps but a lot of those leagues are small because they chose to be that small so I don't think that hindering their ability to recruit is much of an argument here.

I disagree with this. I don't see shouts requiring proficiencies to get into raids and I don't see people looking for leagues demanding some number of maintained proficiencies. While I do agree that elitism does occur in this game, it is very much overestimated.

For the level of activity described in the OP? No, I have to disagree. 8 people who have that activity level should not be able to maintain 4 Proficiencies.
  19. GodNema Well-Known Player

Promoting numbers over quality at its best ;).
    • Like x 3
  20. DC-Doll New Player

Please clarify this Mepps. Is this just stating what an average player earns or is it ALL they can earn or...? To be honest I'm fairly concerned considering that a majority of my league is offline most of the day and we're lucky to see 2-3 other people for an hour or two to run a quick intergang alert. If I'm only going to be able to earn roughly 1600 prestige a week, our league is screwed.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.