Mental AM bugged and over-parsing?

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Rokyn, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoiiowDreamz Dedicated Player

I love when ppl think the stats matter change is going to make skill points more important when it does the opposite xDD
    • Like x 7
  2. Fies Committed Player

Gadgets 3EMP close-range. Test-specc no SCs/trinkets..
    Loadouts as in pictures

1)[IMG]
    Lowest that I got. 38241/s

2)[IMG]
    39355/sec

My 3 MT Mental (close) tests are pretty much in-line with the others posted around here but can upload if needed.
    Will upload mid-range and EMP/MT II later.
    Never played Gadgets on live so maybe someone else can comment on potential from PIs when running with sth like Ice.
    From what I could see already Gadgets cant reach/surpass current Mental numbers but it keeps its AM dmg even if losing BD. Dont play any of them on live so I m somewhat unbiased.
    If I recall correctly Mental hit lower numbers in tests during updates. Imo sth was changed (maybe unintentionally) afterwards.
  3. TheDark Devoted Player

Actually, it is the most ideal loadout. With the exception of Bunker Buster being used as a supercharge, that loadout produces the most damage for Tunso tests given their circumstances. Adding powers like vortex cannon have slighltly less average. Any other loadout, especially ones that rely on burst abilities have a flaw in most cases and that's not properly buffing for 50% PI buff. Isolating and base numbers prove that.

As far as over performing, 37k is in range. 38 should be fine. 39k is fine but slightly pushing. Anything over that is exceeding baselines and those percetnages are given. Nothing Gadgets has can produce consecutive 39k+ averages unless someone is throwing away properly executed but low parsers.
  4. Phill Committed Player

Actually I get less damage with mass terror using invisibility or with reg AM.
  5. Phill Committed Player

Exactly my point with bigger fish to fry. Someone always has to complain because their main is not OP anymore. Pick a power and stay with it. This is and old worn out record going over and over. Enough already.
  6. TheDark Devoted Player

I suggest you look up the steps to perform the test correctly. You may want someone to state how to perform the rotation as well despite it being straight forward.

Whatever numbers you do have, or plan on getting, I also suggest to figure out how to post the logs, especially on the DCUOLog site. Only 2 have actually posted legit findings. Word of mouth/opinion does not equal actual data. It's also pretty evident that info is being provided so that one powerset is actually equal in damage baseline compared to its almost identical twin.
  7. Fies Committed Player

Absolutely gr8 quoting...
  8. D4rkB0w Active Player

First 2 combos that actually do most dmg are almost useless in any little bit harder content its only good on "paper". This testings on targets are useless dont know why everybody still keep trying to make balance with this, there will never be anything close to balance until they make better scoreboard where you can see pickups, dmg on adds, on bosses... this is nothing but numbers in perfect conditions.
    • Like x 1
  9. Fies Committed Player

EMPII close-range (loadout as in picture):
    1)[IMG]
    ^ 36611/s

2)[IMG]
    ^ 38088/s
  10. HoiiowDreamz Dedicated Player

sorry but your signature kind of snitched on you xD [IMG]
  11. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

Mental is a good power don't get me wrong but in content there are other powers that can hang with it. Just cause it parses high doesn't mean its "OP" The parser isn't everything, take celestial for example. Celestial parses prob some of the highest numbers I've seen with any of the powers so by parser standards it should be super OP but its not cause of how it works. Don't let the parser always be the end all be all.
    • Like x 5
  12. D4rkB0w Active Player

I had no intention to hide whats my power, I'm first who will say mental is currently one of top powers but its not out of line from other top powers. Its only funny to me that ppl see high dmg on parser and say powers AM is bugged. Parser is dmg of power in perfect conditions which you will never ever have in any content so for me its not proper way to test powers, not just mental all powers. It can be starting point for balance but its not reliable. Thats why if they ever make proper scoreboard we could test powers in real conditions and see how to really balance them.
    • Like x 1
  13. TheDark Devoted Player

The very fact something is parsing for 15+% over baseline does mean something is "op" lol. For quite some time now it has been explained what parsing tests are used to obtain and under what circumstances. That remains to be something that flies over some players heads.

Celestial basic issues seems well known. It's impractical in most content where sustained damage is not maintained due to overpowering NPCs with burst damage. In otherwords, it's not ideal for scorecard chasing due to the fact that damage done to NPCs is what registers on the scorecard & if you compare it to AMs with burst superiority and/or faster damage registration, they will "lose" on the scorecard.

Difference here is that Mental isn't impractical in nearly all content. It performs almost exactly like Gadgets does. Parsing at 5 to 9%, I'd take 10% if everyone including tunso agrees, is fine imo. Anything over that is excessive. For a powerset like Gadgets to still perform well just by the nature of its burst type damage within range of the baseline, and for players to resist bringing it down to those fair levels just shows that they're registering nerf just for the sake of nerfing. Instead of actually reducing the damage to appropriate levels.

Going forward I think posters should reserve their opinions and just post their parsers with their might level and rotation. If they can post their actual log from the DCUO log site that'll be more reliable. Otherwise, it's just the same posters, or group of players, that just deliver opinion after opinion without actual data. Which I predict will occur as long as the thread stays open. These numbers have already been shown to the developers.
    • Like x 2
  14. HoiiowDreamz Dedicated Player

Too bad in content the results of a power type are even more biased even with a perfected scorecard than they are with sparring targets.

EDIT:
    sparring target damage difference from person to person :
    - loadout
    - rotation execution

in content damage difference from person to person:
    - stats
    - buffs from other teammates
    - deaths
    - pick ups
    - cc from adds
    - trinket choice
    - trinket use
    - supercharge use
    - loadout
    - rotation execution
    - speed (who gets to adds first to finish rotations)
    • Like x 1
  15. D4rkB0w Active Player

Yes it will never be perfect but having both test parser and sb would be much better. As for stats, buffs, rotations you could try multiple time because im talking about testing not dpsing in general. So you can make same cr, same sp chars on test server and just to see what powers can do. Ofc it wont be 100% perfect but I think it would be closer to balance then it is now.
  16. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Unfortunately, to break it to you guys, the parser and the baseline sustained testing is the best balanced method we have for testing at the moment. The parser can also reveal to you guys why burst powers like Earth/Sorc/Mental/Gadgets perform well against trash mobs if you look at the first 10 seconds of combat for those powers. It's clear as day. Then do a 5-minute Tunso test parse and it will show how Earth/Sorc starts to not parse as good as Mental/Gadget since there's no melee/midrange scalar yet for those powers. Hence why they don't perform as well in SM/Boss fights where sustained DPS is king. Another thing players don't understand is sustained DPS vs burst DPS (how combo powers, fire, etc are all sustained DPS), how quick setup times help sustained DPSes keep up with the burst powersets and how scorecard damage registration works. I'm not saying you two players don't understand that (Crappy knows the difference I know for fact ;)).

Anytime you bring up real situations or real instances, too many variables have to be accounted for. Like a controlled variable and non-controlled experiment, you want to manipulate as many variables as you can to in order to find a particular piece of data. Too many variables results in unrepeatable/reproducible experiments and unrealistic testing. Plus accounting for each different instance, each potential threat, your cr vs threat's cr, pickups, group buffs, supplies, skilled players around you, and differentiating between a trash minion level and class minion makes a difference as well. So that is why Tunso Tests are actually doing their job in balancing sustained DPS across powersets for the current balance pass and then so maybe we can address 3-sec grace periods, set-up times, supercharges, and melee lunging AMs later a different pass. But the way the AMs are and how they work now is probably how it will be for a while. Just finding and maximizing where your AM shines is what is key whether that be sustained DPS, burst DPS, or a mix of both (hi Atomic :)).
    • Like x 3
  17. TheCelestialKiller Well-Known Player

DEV'S YOU BETTER NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN AND NERF MENTAL. I KNOW MENTAL HAS HIGH DAMAGE POTENTIAL, BUT SO DOES ICE, MUNITIONS, GADGETS (ESPECIALLY), SORCERY, I DO PRETTY DANG GOOD WITH CELESTIAL MYSELF. You need to just focus on what you are doing now and get the rest up to par. (i'm mostly talking electric and nature but that's another thread.) Stop crying over powers just because you cant beat them, because i guarantee there is another person who can! Just because you parse high on a sparing target that sits still so you can hit it, doesn't mean you will do the same on NPCs that move and drop your azz! Let them focus on the matters at hand and stop crying! DO NOT NERF MENTAL!
    • Like x 1
  18. metalfenix Committed Player

I hope the devs don't waste time or resources on this when there are other powers in need of attention dps-wise (mental is not even on schedule right now). But, ah well, the nerf-hammer seem to be already moving.
  19. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

Jumped on test quick ran a rotation or two and this is what i got for gadgets melee range. I didn't put it through the site cause i'm lazy but thats roughly 41/42k dps. I'm pretty rusty with gadgets but if i played with it for a while i could def do better, and no i'm not telling you what powers i used lol

So looks to me gadgets is just about as good as mental but i give the edge to mental cause its powers in between the 123 can do faster burst damage so its better on adds but both powers are pretty close on the dummies.
    [IMG]
    This pick is just to show my power bar so you know i was really gadgets.
    [IMG]
  20. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

The thing is we could have easily corrected setup times and other things when each power was getting its update. Its really not hard to account for that stuff and would have made all this time spent on the powers much more efficient, but instead we'll be going back over some powers another 2 times to get it right.

It just frustrates me cause this is all such easy stuff.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.