Maximum League Population

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyShellheadStark New Player

Given the reaction you're getting on the forums, it seems like everyone agrees that you're definitely alienating the people who run bigger leagues. These are the last people in the world you want to treat poorly. They are essentially your sales force - responsible for increasing engagement and reducing player attrition, which is the biggest danger to your business. Please, please pass this along to the upper management. To expect people to spend 10+ hours blindly trimming their rosters is profoundly short-sighted. You're going to stumble into a PR mess as bad as the hack back in year one. If you have the code to display when people logged in last, you're not far off adding an interface that allows league leaders to set a threshold for how long people can be in the league without logging in. An auto-kick feature would take this from a huge PR debacle to a positive thing that makes it easy to cull a messy roster.
  2. TonyShellheadStark New Player

My league has been around for three years - and while the member list is in the thousands, there are general only 100-200 active members, which translates to 5-20 people on at any given time - the bare minimum to run any missions together. Of 25 recruits, you really only get 1-2 people who stick around. But removing inactive members is impossibly labor intensive.

Recruitment is the only way to maintain a league's momentum as attrition is very high, and if we can't bring in new people until I (and all other older league leaders) spend days (literally) blindly culling our list (I don't necessarily know who is active), it will kill our community.

Will there be an automated process that kicks members who haven't logged on in x months, or will DCUO be launching with no solution to this problem?

If you're planning the latter, please escalate my message up the chain, because that plan will badly damage the long term communities that are building continuity and generating the game's consistent players. The communities will die with huge inactive membership lists. Obviously, the communities maintain player interest, and consistent players are what generate a huge portion of the micro-transactional revenue. So it could truly be a disastrous move. Please give all that some thought.
    • Like x 3
  3. Larfleeze New Player

For those with 500+ or even 1000+ how many of them are active?
    How many of them are purely alts that are hardly played?

In one of my most recent MMO's my guild was reaching 500+ members and I took an axe to anyone that hadn't logged in in over a week and alts as well (unless it was someone I knew personally from the guild). Dropped that number down to a solid 80 or so.

Guilds get a LOT of bloat via members who have quit that most people don't realize, and considering how incredibly ****** DCUO's current League Interface is, I can see this problem being way more substantial in this game than in others.
  4. MercPony Devoted Player

I know in the case of people that have lots of alts, the roster can bloat up quite fast. I did a manual count of my own league list recently and it stands at 250~ members. About 100~ of those are purely people's alts. The rest are people that only log in when time allows them to.

As far how labor intensive it would be to delete the loads of inactive users which either just quit the game out of boredom or are simply unable to play for some other reason, I see why people would like an easier means of organizing and support a function like this to hopefully make itself available in the future.
    • Like x 2
  5. Mermaid Dedicated Player

As of today our league sits at the 450 range, co leader counted it. We have limited our alts to 3 per person so 1 main and 2 alts.
    Anyways, for those wondering about our active members, (only observations) we have about 30-40 (sometimes less sometimes more) people online in different times. I personally haven't seen our league with over 30+ members online but that's because we have members all over the timezones.
    • Like x 5
  6. Collector New Player

9th anniversary .....? what do you have em' three times a year?
  7. Collector New Player

I just thought I would throw this out there, but if they are limiting leagues to 500 members, doesn't that mean the system "should" be able to handle all 500 members online at once? And if so why can't they just make the limit a max number of league members that can be logged in at the same time? Even with the few Leagues that have 1000+ players, how often do they actually have say more than 50 - 100 of their members online at a time?
    I'd say very rarely ..... if ever. "Just from what I have seen being a player since the launch of this game"

I think they should have designed the new system taking this into account, I mean the new system should not need all these new features constantly actively running for every member in a league, only for the ones that are online at any given time. When a player is not online, then none of his/her variables change, they are not earning anything, nor achieve anything, and the (member locator) doesn't need to track someone who isn't even online.

So for example take two leagues one with 400 members and one with 2000 members both leagues have an average max of say 30 members that are actually online at any given time, with the new system running it should still only need to be actively calculating changing variables for those 30 players, the fact that one league has 370 members offline and the other has 1970 members offline, should not make that big a difference. Seeing as the variables for players offline don't change then what is there to calculate, League 1 has 370 (offline players) x 0 (activity) = 0 League 2 has 1970 (offline members) x 0 (activity) = 0. Yes I know that there is still a record of all the offline members stats and whatnot in a log for the league, but once again seeing as these stats(numbers) aren't changing then there is nothing extra to calculate, just a bit larger league "player data log" for the larger league.
  8. GemiNick New Player

Hi guys! I have a question! In the League Halls can also enter other leagues player? Thanks!
  9. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

What happens when more than 500 are active at the same time? So they wouldn't get Prestige during their time or they wouldn't be able to log on at all??

You are asking for an awful lot of resources being devoted to massive coding for a very very small number of leagues. So in other words, you are willing to forgo future content and game development to appease a very small group?!? Because your idea would entail a LOT of extra work, let alone trying to get it to work with years worth of content.

Personally, I think this is an excellent way of curtailing 'uber leagues' from easily racking up Prestige points whereas other leagues would have a harder time. You know, those leagues who are/were asking anyone and everyone to join to take advantage of Prestige points in order to gain the proficiencies yet wouldn't act like a regular league... basically just an open-world 'league' which would negate the entire concept behind leagues in the first place.
  10. Mermaid Dedicated Player

Of course not! Click on the 9 years in my sig to find out our history!
    • Like x 1
  11. The Sanctifier New Player

My league has anywhere between 500-1000 members with an average of 30 on at a time...some of them may be alts and stuff (House of EL)...if you're the leader cut everyone you know isn't active little by little. If they're active, they'll message you, trust me.
  12. owlman New Player

This is good.
  13. Aerith Rose Committed Player

I agree this would be useful.

Thank you
  14. Rayel1970 New Player

Try making 2 or 3 leagues with them
    • Like x 1
  15. light FX Steadfast Player

Again like in my other post how dont u know who is active in your own league? And why have 1000s of players if u admit there is only 5-25 on at a time? I just dont see it, sorry.

I have 76 total members in my league and some of those are alts but i know each person, run with and try to help every single person if i can. Imo having an enormous league where the leaders dont even know who is who or is active is just a mess and becomes very impersonal. I have no idea why people are complaining about this issue except for simply wanting to complain.

Id like to see a screen shot of a league that has more than even 250 players logged in at 1 time, much less 500. I know its not for members logged in but i cant think of 1 reason id keep a player in my league if he was inactive for more than 30 days unless he told me he was taking a break or whatever. A league should be about people helping each other and with prestige coming its also about contributing (ofc members contributing b4 prestige is in the game), as people can see how much prestige a player has brought in. If had 3 players who hadnt logged in in say 60 days and contributed no prestige to the league i look at them as dead weight and wonder why they are even in my league. Even w/out the prestige they are not logging in to help any1 or even progress their own toons, again cant think of a reason id want players like that so like i said i dont see why a 500 player cap is a big deal. Just my opinion.
  16. Gomezness New Player

We had to loss so many sisters from Justice Girls... Anyone who got kicked please use the custom chat if you want my heals <(^_-)>
  17. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

As Mermaid mentioned, we have made the cut for today's update. Thanks to our leaders, to those who made positive suggestions here and to Captain Liberty for explaining the data issue.

I just wanted to crosslink Mepps' thread in case anyone following this thread missed it. Please follow the instructions here if you need additional assistance in trimming:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/assistance-for-leagues-over-the-cap.213782/

Best of luck to the other leagues who are in the process of cleaning up.
    • Like x 1
  18. jirayasan New Player

oh my....assuming that all members in the league were premium that amount means that 83,333333 league members have their 6 char created and IN league. i dont know, but for me....83 peole is far too much if playing seriously. NO OFFENSE
  19. Dezaras Loyal Player

I don't even think I've passed 100 members in my league (including alts) But if I had over 500 members I'd splinter the league into two leagues, but maintain access to league halls, bases etc. Bit like the Justice League of America and Justice League International. It wouldn't be "official" in game, but part of the fun is playing make believe.
  20. jirayasan New Player

its ok that this is an mmorpg, social game and all that stuff. i do really like this, with all the problems it has. i have a lot of fun with my league mates. but cĀ“mon...more than 500...its just recruiting for beat a record or some stuff like that. i cant undersatnad a league where people does not know each other, knows with who to play pvp, or do thre raids, having fun....the way i see it leagues has to be like a family more or less....500!!! i think that is not but just a very helpfull hand to raise the cr and stuff. sorry if i may sound rude but its just a thought of mine
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.