Lightning Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Max Volt, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Remander Steadfast Player

Appreciate the feedback. No doubt Electrogenesis is very cost efficient. That's why it's in all the builds I've seen, even when Biocapacitor is left off. Of course, if you use EPD consumables and Electroburst, you'll likely be even more efficient. Having started as Sorcery, the constant movement needed to pull off the auras was a big adjustment. Was able to do it, don't get me wrong. This loadout just feels more like Sorcery to me. Thought some folks out there might appreciate a different playstyle approach.
  2. Max Volt Committed Player

oh yes you did :D

When I do have another very good healer with me usually I bring in Arc in place of Bio Surge..since it looks cool, and it works nicely on tanks during boss fights...and not to mention that makes you look good on the scoreboards.
    One time I was asked how did I manage to beat the Tank and trollers in damage.....I told em it was a secret, but now you know...the Arc ...i mean cat is out of the bag.
  3. blklightning New Player

So, I've bumped into a very interesting thing. EVERY guide I've read on electric healing, or post w/ comments I've read ALL point to stacking Bio Capacitor multiple times for larger heals w/ the capacitor heal kicks in. So, I put forward the question of 2 healers and the stacking being over written. Had an argument with a user and decided to make a video of a duel. In the vid, I have a double cast of bio cap and heal for about 740. I then do a triple cast of it, but still only heal for around 740 when it kicks in.

This belies the common belief I've run into about the power AND the fact that when I see team member's health drop and the spike up to 100%, that individual heal is massive and much larger than 700. Are there any other single heals that can heal for up to 2000 or more? The fact that my bar didn't spike any differently is so at odds with what I see in raids.

This is something I definitely want to parse out the details of. Any thoughts?
  4. raiz0 New Player

For dps burst damage (you can keep up with gadgets and HL) i give a small hint :

Attract -> Fast animation and is clip-able with any power / weapon combo
    Spark Barrage -> Fast animation

So you can do Attract -> one hand combo -> spark barrage -> one hand combo -> attract -> one hand combo - repeat

And when more ads are near you -> attract clip with voltaic bolt -> one hand combo -> attract clip with spark barrage -> one hand combo

*Note* : this is only an example i gived you , there are another way to do burst damage , this is the simplest one and you can keep up with gadgets (good players ofcourse)
  5. AIpha New Player

Thats some good advice. I've always ran Static Push/Wired->Ebomb for burst damage. So SP/Wired-> Weapon combo->ebomb->weapon combo-> ebomb.
    • Like x 1
  6. Max Volt Committed Player

This is the first time I heard about stacking Bio Cap.......as far as I know it doesn't stack.

If you are in a raid and you see your group mates health jump back up from near death there might be several different reason.
    For example the use of a healer trinket followed by Galvanize, ....Invigorate? the final burst of Ionic Drain?

As far as numbers...well don't get fooled, if you are healing a Fire tank or example, which are notorious for stacking resto in their mods you'll easily heal em for over 3k.
    Beside that with Resto in the 2000 you should see your heals crit in the 1500 range.
  7. Max Volt Committed Player

Gadget is not usually the powerset i'm worried about keeping up with, and my guess you are on the PC side?

Looks like the PC guys have a great deal of love for Attract and one handed. My feeling is that you guys have an easier time clipping than we do on the PS3 side, ...maybe due to lag.

I did try before what you describing and it's all fine and dandy on a sparring target, but when you start applying it in a laggy raid you miss half the the clipping and stuff normally dies so fast that you are barely done with the first Spin Chop and there no more mobs to kill.

Beside that, as much as we all love to be on top of the scoreboard that's all not what this game it's all about, and if you gotta force youurself to play a certain way just to produce an extra 50k damage so you can show everybody how LEET you are.....well.... just not worth it in my opinion. When I wanna do that I just jump on Battlefield 3 when we all have the same stats and weapon and it all comes down by pure reflexes, not stats and other factors.....like other people of the same powerset overriding your power interactions, etc etc.
  8. Impact Prime New Player

Well... there goes that. Managed to keep it quiet for over half a year >.>. Dropping hints to friends and league mates here and there to help them find it themselves was bound to result in more noticing it until eventually someone decides to pass it out to everyone; I hope it doesn't become the next FoTM.

I guess I might as well let you know my loadout now Max lol.
    1. Wired
    2. Attract
    3. Spark Barrage
    4. Voltaic Bolt/Electrostatic bomb (depending on situation)
    5. Electrogenesis
    6. Electrocute
    And raiz is close; alternating won't get you ahead of the best gadget DPS. You actually need to do attract clipped into spark barrage every 2 spin chops, and spark on its own in between. This won't reduce DPS if you clip spark barrage. Spark barrage is a jump-tap clipped ability, making it timeless like attract - or close to timeless... 0.05s or so. Spin chop is perfect for it due to the fact that spark cools down in about a second when clipped, and attract cools down in 2 seconds when clipped - spin chop can be clipped in 1 second.

I tried to keep it from being known and used by more and more people because while it lets electric compete, It's very, very inefficient with power. If every electric DPS used it, it'd cause more harm than good. Especially when you consider how some DPS don't think, and just button smash, despite the repetitive "you are out of power" sound effect. You work with 35% buffs, so damage isn't as high per hit. It's spending power for speed. Speed is the strength of this rotation; any damage it inflicts is exact DPS since each rotation takes a second. It's not a sure way to top the boards either. Unless you have excellent controllers, you'll fall behind since gadgets uses less power to do the same damage, and can therefore maintain more of their burst damage with less power than this rotation can.

Electrogenesis and electrocute are therefore necessary to try to take some of the edge off the power consumption, since they are efficient. If you're evil though, you can chain them all together to empty an entire power bar in two rotations... I like to clip electrogenesis with wired, and electrocute with a trinket after electrify is applied. Often, casting them will actually reduce your DPS, which is why I disagree with people when they state electric is a DoT power set only.

As with any rotation, but this one in particular; trying to keep it up when there isn't enough power really hurts the group. So there are two fall backs. The first is to alternate attract and spark barrage, to use less power per second. The second is to switch them for voltaic bolt in a rotation, since that grants a 50% modifier and takes 1.4 seconds to cast, it reduces power consumption and increases power efficiency significantly as well as reducing DPS significantly. And of course keep using the DoTs.
  9. Max Volt Committed Player

I appreciate your input and if you want I can add your loadout to the community loadouts....or not and let it disappear so it won't be copied by every DPS.

I really wish I knew somebody that plays on a PC so I could sit right next to him and see how you guys doing.... because I'm more than convinced you guys have much less lag and hardware performance issue than we do on the PS3 side and therefore allowing you to be more effective with your clipping.

Just to give you an example is not uncommon for me to clip a weapon combo with a power and find myself stuck, and seeing the power being casted twice...just because the Lag couldn't process my commands fast enough. .... or having an enemy targeted, pop electrocute and find the cloud on top of my head instead and not hitting any enemy because apparently they moved or got pulled by the tank before the PS3 could register the change.
    ....and I do have 23 mbps download speed so internet shoudn't be an issue.

Anyway...Spark barrage uh?
  10. Anhur Committed Player

Been trying to give a robust loadout in my own thread, but not the loadout for reasons you pointed out - if it's out there now, may as well mention, not sure about you Prime, but I often prefer the 5% Critical Damage from the Amperage tree (since you can use things like Wired or the OMAC trinket if you have that to boost up Critical Chances) - so I avoid Electrogenesis and grab Electroburst (so 5 power points in both tress, but be sure to spend points in Amperage first) - as you indicated it's power intensive, but with 2 Controllers and Zesti Colas, it's plenty.

It does happen on the PC also - it's to do with the speed of information the server has to process, not based on your connection - SB is known to lock on occasion, and using Electroburst followed by another power often sees Electroburst being done again instead, for example.

If you have a PC, why not download the game and level up a character to try it out, it'll only cost you time?
  11. Impact Prime New Player

Yeah, I've had it hit over 400 in a single cast with the escalating might mod. The only issue it has is that it's like heavy shuriken used to be; it gets blocked by mobs as it hits them so doesn't complete its travel to damage everything in it's would-be AoE.

The trick is to clip it with a jump and a tap of your weapon to net around 950 DPS (averaged without crits) to everything 180 degrees infront of you, and then some since attract has a longer reach. I'd record and upload a short clip of its use to show you how fast it is, but I switched powers last week =\. Found a new light rotation on my alt that I wanted to compare as close as I could to my electric one, and only my main has the right items and mods for it lol.
  12. Anhur Committed Player

Just did this quick to show an example of the speed Prime was talking about;

13. Impact Prime New Player

It's faster than that. You're forgetting to clip spark barrage =P.
  14. Max Volt Committed Player

I'm on a Mac...I have a laptop PC and I did try to put DCUO on it but the processor of my laptop is just not enough to run DCUO on it.

and yes electroburst is the main offender for double cast, but it hits for 1.1k crit plus the DoT so I have hard time leaving it at home.

I just switched loadout and i'm gonna give it a shot...let's see how spark barrage does:)
  15. Max Volt Committed Player

Ok took me few alerts to get the hang of it but I managed to get your loadout working well,....and yes it does really well.
    Too bad I don't like one handed much.... mostly because of the way the look of the animation than anything else, but that's just me.

In the spirit of experimenting I also went Wired, WD, Spark Barrage, Electroburst, Electrocute, Voltaic Bolt and I was doing really well with that even with laying off the clipping a bit to rest my 45yo fingers lol
  16. Anhur Committed Player

Sure sure, I can re-record it but since it is out there for players they can try it out, was just a quickie to show the bar/rotation :).
  17. Ultraman New Player

Hi maxvolt

Just to let you know I signed up to this forum just to say thanks for this awesome guide.

I was trying electric and healing for the first time and this helped me get my head around things. Thanks again!

Ultraman EUPS3
  18. Satla Well-Known Player

GJ on telling everyone, but you still forgot to mention correctly how a rotation should look :D.

Also, electrogenesis and electroburst are both only ok powers to have.
    Considering electroburst is initial to 1 enemy and DoT to 4, and that electrogenesis has more then twice cooldown time then active time, there are better powers for that spot.
  19. AIpha New Player

I did Electrogen/Wired->Spin Chop/Attract/SB/Jump VB and almost beat a clown box transmuter in t4 while I'm only amazon no mods. It truly is amazing burst.
  20. Max Volt Committed Player

thank you, ...I merely put down in writing the experience and knowledge of many other players,....this is your guide and you all deserve credit for creating a place where every new Lightning player can find a reference and starting point to learn the ins and outs of the powerset.