Lightning Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Max Volt, Feb 15, 2013.

1. YodaDog New Player

You got the gif to work!! Way to go, buddy!
  2. Skyris Allen Well-Known Player

Eu Ps3
  3. Skyris Allen Well-Known Player

Question about specking mods. i hear people say go all might and other say balance prec/might. Then yesterday for first time someone told me that i should totally ignore might mods and go straight precision or prec/health. His reasoning was that you benefit more getting your prec up high so your weapons and pwrs are hitting hard. He also said there no such thing as a might dps cuz in the end result your powers arent gong be that much more damaging than if you would have specked prec instead.

Im confused.?. Is there any truth to this religion he speaks. Whats the best rout for modding...Im confused now.?. :-(
  4. ASH New Player

what powerset was that guy? all of your elec powers are might based (yellow damage) so why you shouldnt gain from a might modding?
    having the best results with: prec and might for reds, might and power for yellow and might and health for blue sockets. well you can go for pure prec. modding but your aoe damage will decrease for sure.
  5. ASH New Player

then maybe pc and ps3 is different.
  6. Impact Prime New Player

Don't listen to them. No one can know the best combination of mods for everyone. There are similarities and a most common build for a power set sure, but that's not all that is a factor. The benefit of 1 precision depends on your weapon combo - how hard it hits and whether it's AoE or not. The benefit of 1 might depends not only on the powers you use, but how often you use them.

Therefore, you need to consider the weapon, combo, powers, how often the damage from each is inflicted. Basically it's base damage from precision attacks and the base damage from powers that you use in a typical rotation, multiplied by how many targets they will hit, then compare the increase gained from calculating with 1 precision to them to the increase gained by calculating with 1 might.

Here's an example of what I mean. I recently did it for light some light combos, so I'll use the numbers from one of those rotations. I know this is for electric but it's just an example to show what I mean.

For base damage, I have:
    • 14.5 * 3 (power)
    • 0.5568 * 4 (combo)
    • 29 (power)
    • Spin chop: 2.16 (combo)
    So next, determine the base damage from a single rotation. Remember to multiply the damage with the buff that will be active, starting with the same buff it would finish on (50%):
    • Might: (14.5 * 3 * 1.5) + (29 * 1.35) = 65.25 + 39.15 = 104.4
    • Precision: (0.5568 * 4 * 1.35) + (2.16 * 1.5) = 3.00672 + 3.24 = 6.24672
    Then calculate with stats ((mightBase * might * 0.0045) + (precisionBase * (precision / 10))):
    • 0 Might & 0 Precision: (104.4 * 0 * 0.0045) + (8.14086 * (0 / 10)) = 0 + 0 = 0
    • 0 Might & 1 Precision: 0 + (6.24672 * (1 / 10)) = 0 + 0.624672 = 0.624672
    • 1 Might & 0 Precision: (104.4 * 1 * 0.0045) + 0 = 0.4698 + 0 = 0.4698
    Then find the ratio (precisionDamage / mightDamage):
    • 0.624672 / 0.4698 = 1.33 : 1 AKA 1.33 precision is as effective as 1 might, so 1 precision is 1.33x more effective.
    With that, you can then compare the effectiveness of the stats offered by the mods:
    • 20 Precision & 19 Might: (20 * 1.33) + 19 = 26.6 + 19 = 45.6
    • 28 Precision: (28 * 1.33) = 37.24
    • 27 Might: 27 = 27
    With those results you can see that balance beats straight precision or straight might by 8.36 to 18.6 damage per rotation for each mod. You can also see that straight up, 1 precision is better than 1 might, so you'd go precision & power/health. Those calculations assume 1 target - I didn't multiply individual hits by a number of targets they would hit. I chose that particular rotation because it's all AoE so I don't need to worry about testing for when faced by multiple foes in this example. But hopefully you can see how you find what's most beneficial to you, and can see how you would test deeper when there are more targets that might not receive damage from some moves.

Again, remember that's just to show how to find out, those aren't for an electric rotation or even similar to electric base values. So don't mod according to the results that example shows.
    • Like x 3
  7. ASH New Player

thx for the numbers....nice work!
  8. Skyris Allen Well-Known Player

Thank for the breakdown on numbers
  9. Zizzi New Player

Questions about Voltaic Bolt:

Is there a limit on how many it will hit?

Does it split and at how many?

There should only be one DoT applied, but is that DoT bigger/smaller depending on how many you hit?
  10. Zeikial Committed Player

You know I was hoping for more talk about the healing side of ELECTRIC but instead I see 5 pages of whats the best dps loadout, and maybe a few comments on the healer aspect of it. Would be curious to see if anyone is thinking outside the box in terms of healing, meaning not running what every other electric healer is running, bio cap, bio surge, electro gen, galvanize, ionic drain, invigorate.

I will start it off, I have replaced ionic drain with electroburst, and have been pleasantly impressed, I do however have to stay stocked up on electrostatic pulse devices. I have also been tinkering with a load out that does not use electro gen, also been trying out diffrent load outs not using biocap. I have seen really nice results from these loadouts as well as melee healing. No one belives me, but yea I melee heal, and am very succesful at it. So please chime in and give feed back and lets get some healers in here and comment.
  11. Max Volt Committed Player

I'm always up for thinking outside the box and not conforming to what everybody else does,...but Electrogenesis is the best Healing power we got. With smart use of Electrogenesis and Ionic drain we can easily heal any alert without even the need of a troller for power.

Having said that, in the various community healing loadouts there are several examples of healing with Electroburst,...and actually that's what I use for PvP. Instead of stacking with EPD try bringing in Tesla Blast, .. insta PI low power cost, just like Electroburst, it will be there hen you need it without the need to tinker with trinket belts.....and both can be used to clip your weapon combos.

Melee healing is fine....but not in every situations, I'm full T4 fully modded with 2336 resto....but I can assure you many T4 Bosses can easily one shot me, and there's no 35% safety net that is gonna save me. Unfortunately when you are the healer and you go down there rest of the group might go down with you, so I'd rather not be a liability for the group when everybody expect me to be the exact opposite.

But hey...this is a videogame and it's meant for us to enjoy and have fun, and as long you are having fun it's all good :)
  12. Max Volt Committed Player

1) i'm not sure
    2) as number one there is no way for us PS3 guys to test it, but I do believe it splits after 4.
    3) the Dot its the same on every enemy affected...well,..almost....

My understanding is that there is a low and high damage value in everything we cast, the actual damage is randomly calculated using those 2 values and by adding your might, damage modifer, crit%, crit magnitude....and defense value of the target. Every single Dot is calculated the same way, so although the base values are the same you will see certain enemy getting hit harder than other.
  13. Max Volt Committed Player

Impact Prime is absolutely correct, and it's also depend on your playstyle and situation.

Are you going down the hallways in Gates or are you in Khandaq.

I have 641 precision and I can assure you my weapon combos can hit harder than any of our powers. Also certain Combos are AoE other are single target,....some don't split damage, some do, it's matter of really learning how to use our favorite weapon, and be smart about it. the art of damage come from the balance between powers and weapon.
  14. Zeikial Committed Player

I am going to have to disagree with electro gen being the best healing power electric has, but like all things its my opinion and yours respectivly, I to am full t4 with 2336 resto, and melee all bosses just know your surroundings and when to let off and you will be fine. But it seems people are stuck with ionic drain and electro gen, and wont give the other powers a chance, all I can say is from what I experience and thats electroburst is aruguably the best heal electric has, more adds that are electrified the stronger the heal, plus the HOT
  15. Impact Prime New Player

I disagree with both of you =\.

Electrogenesis isn't the most power efficient heal we have and it can't be maintained constantly. It's nice that it is portable, but that's not enough of a benefit to counter the fact that its cool down is twice the time it is active for. Tick strength decrease as distance increases, and its AoE isn't large to begin with. The only time I see it pull some weight is when you have 3 melee DPS in the middle of mob AoE zone, you jump in and cast genesis so its on yourself and another DPS, and you're all close enough that the other two receive double ticks. Given the damage done, every tick will land. Other than that, it usually uses more power than its worth with all the other heals going off - which defeats the purpose of having a specifically HoT ability. For solo healing though you'd have to take it.

Electroburst yeah, when you talk about using PI consumables, it does produce some massive healing. But that's using PI consumables. I know a lot of people who just dislike the idea, myself included. I usually say in response when I'm told to try them, that if I wanted to use gadgets, I would be gadgets. Not that I'm discrediting their use, just that I personally don't like having to rely on them. You can electricy with wired and AoE combos, and with tesla ball, but that is an easy way to become a power hungry healer. Galvanize will always have the same AoE, and is potentially just as strong. Plus, galvanize is strong when it needs to be, while electroburst needs to be kept strong (everything electrified) constantly so you're ready for that big AoE hit to the group, which as I said, just takes more power. Tesla blast will be even more power consuming than tesla ball. It may use less power, but then you'll need more successive electroburst casts to make up for the healing missed out on from insufficient electrified enemies, else multiple casts of tesla blast which has the same drawback.

Ionic drain: Channel time. Very good when used correctly, but might need cancelling to save someone or yourself.
    Capacitor: Excellent effect, but long cool down and not a group heal.
    Surge: Not a group heal, no beneficial effects. Just your standard single target healing power.
    Arc Lightning: Power hungry, restricted, unreliable.

There is no best. If I had to pick one, I would say galvanize, but electric healing is not like nature with rapid strong healing powers that have PIs and are not restricted by range, or like sorcery which has constantly maintainable strong HoTs or a pet that handles all your burst healing for you. Everything electric has is situational, so it takes a combination of them all.

It's also not due to a lack of looking outside the box for healing. Sometimes you look outside, only to find the obvious loadout which you picked out right from the start based on reading tool tips, and then found to be the standard that everyone uses, is the best build in terms of ease, reliability, application, situation, practicality and power consumption.
  16. Max Volt Committed Player

oh boo Impact Prime is disagreeing with me :eek:

Electrogensis as much is not the best healing power by itself, when combined with our other burst heals and "maintenance" Heals it's what make Lightining really strong in the healing dept. and that's where I see its strength.

As much as I do like electroburst for healing PvP since it does also debuffs tanks just like Impact Prime said it's very inefficient because of the need of a PI in order to work. But hey... if you wanna waste 475 MoT per stack of EPD more power to you.

I love the concept behind healing with Arc lightning, but my biggest issue is that it doesn't arc back to you and the arc stops when an enemy die,....but I do sometime use it in certain instances when I do not need Invigorate in my loadout. .. plus it looks really cool, and boost your damage numbers as a healer heh.

the question is...how far are you willing to travel in order to be outside the box before realizing you lost your way home? :D
  17. Zeikial Committed Player

Havent lost my way home, just know facts, and that numbers dont lie(most of the time), I find it intersting that you would use electroburst in a 5v5 pvp match but not even consider it in a 8man pve raid, I mean you only have 3 other players with you, plus another healer, but to each his own. And as far as the other comments posted by prime using (gadgets to heal) buddy this whole game is a gadget, its what its based around, im sure you have mods in your gear, if your sorcery your probably using watcher, so on and so forth. And as I expected some players are set in their ways and just cant fathom using any other style, even when they use it in another instance, strange really, oh and its your opinion just as it is mine, there is no facts to back up best healing loadouts, just wanted a discussion. But I can see that wont happen
  18. Impact Prime New Player

Ah, so by discussion you meant you wanted to share your opinion and have everyone agree with you =\? Because this is how discussions go mate. Sorry if you don't like being disagreed with; I guess no one does really, but it's the same principle behind trying new things. If everyone stuck to the same ideas, or whatever the first to voice their opinion said, there'd be no progress. So discussions are largely debates, which are discussions with opposing views.

If you read without expecting to be attacked... you'll see that I didn't dispute the use of power interaction consumables. Just that I personally, for my experience in this game, would rather see my character dealing damage and healing in that manner with my powers only. I'm hardly going to say bah, I don't want to use gadgets in a game, therefore I won't play it because to play it would be to use the game software, not to mention a computer and the internet. That's just daft and not at all what I said.

As for using it in 5v5s, it's reliable and power efficient there, since everyone is always closely packed. For PVE I find it just too much of a burden. Since I don't use the consumables, it'll take 2 slots on my loadout for electrifying, which restricts the healing I can do because I have to ditch powers I use. Then there's setting up PIs, maintaining them, burning power to do so. Got to set up PIs for its use knowing you might not even need to use it, because you can't leave it until healing is needed then set up, otherwise your group mates might die. Then there's having set up PIs on a bunch of mobs ready to spam the screen with green numbers... but before they can deal damage allowing me to utilise those PIs, and make the power spent worth while, the DPS burn the adds down and the PIs are gone. Every mob killed that I electrified without needing to utilise is wasted power. In PVP I don't need to range either. In PVE if I want to range a boss, electroburst becomes useless, and I can't use the two powers I would have otherwise, because they were removed to make room for electroburst and a PI applyer. See, it's been considered. Just because someone doesn't use something doesn't necessarily mean they didn't consider it, they might just disagree or have a better method.

It is a nice power, with potential for good healing, which is why I use it in PVP. But I also care about being efficient with the power I have, and using electroburst doesn't help that aspect unless I use PI consumables, which I don't wish to use and can do just fine without =P.
  19. Zeikial Committed Player

I dont want people to agree, hell I know people wont agree, thats besides the point. Your third paragraph is a discussion the rest is just banter. Back on topic, I dont know if you would have to use 2 slots for electrifying, I would only use wired, or telsa ball, wired is the most cost effective power to use in electric according to power numbers on dcuo book, so you wouldnt be spamming a non helpful power, the rest you could use what powers you choose along with electroburst. It would be no diffrent from someone using hive mind, carnage swarm shield, boon of souls, these are all powers that do not heal, but benifit the healer in some way. Thanks for the feed back
  20. ShockNOwn New Player

On the healing calculator, how many players was Galvanize placed on for those numbers?

Great guide and much appreciated