"Lantern Lore"

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Power Girl, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I would agree on that. I don't see them ever adding SS as a playable power, but if they did I would assume it would be female only, especially since the SS costume was female only. Unless there are some major shake ups in the comics though, like a whole host of males joining, then I could see it opening up to both sexes.
    • Like x 2
  2. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Well there are villains who attack other villains and the Red Lanterns for the most part with the exception of Guy Gardner are pretty villainous for everyone.
    But it is not Female only, it is mainly Female but Men can join. So it is not a Female Lantern Corps.

Well they never should have made the SS costume Female only as that blatantly violates lore as Men have wielded Star Sapphire power and John Stewart is even a full fledged member now. If anything that was the devs being foolish. It is especially ridiculous that the made the Wonder Woman and Amazon gear for both genders even though the Amazons are Female exclusive and the Amazons would not permit a Male champion of their people so no Wonder Men.
  3. Ghostof91 New Player

I don't think that would happen all of a sudden since Dc Comics made DCUO release Star Sapphire gear for Female only if they were planning to make Star Sapphires excusive for both we would have Star Sapphire gear too like Females. After that I knew what we was dealing with when Star Sapphire content was released into the game.
  4. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Actually I don't think that was DC that did that. I think it was the devs on their own. After all they got away with releasing Amazon and Wonder Woman gear for both genders and DC recently in their comics had John Stewart to join the Star Sapphires so I think that was just the devs being ignorant.
  5. Ghostof91 New Player

It is indeed a Female Lantern corp, why dont men have a Star Sapphire gear if so ?
  6. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Because the devs are being foolish. Men are given Star Sapphire gear in the comics. So they should have in this game. I would be fine with say a version of John Stewart's outfit. By extension if this was truly lore faithful the Amazon and Wonder Woman stuff would be Female only not the Star Sapphire gear.
  7. MrMigraine Devoted Player

With all due respect, I think that exobytes have everything to do with Lantern Powers because they are at the core of every power in the game.

In one of the opening cinematics, Brainiac cycles through a series of Iconic images as he begins to analyze the Exobytes that Lex unleashed upon the denizens of Earth. Green Lantern (with really short hair) is one of those Iconics. That database could easily contain samples of all nine corps, so any Lantern exobyte could conceivably give a human similar powers.

We the players also all have a shared history. We all played the same intro mission at level 1: we were all kidnapped by Brainiac and stored in stasis pods because of the exobytes in our bodies. When we awakened, we all had special powers (and a strange new proficiency with some sort of weapon but that's a whole 'nother thing ;) ).

Now I know that the devs have said that we are considered to be 'reservists' even thought there's no reference to it in the game except for some text on the original Light Power Respec Tokens that were released with Fight for the Light. And I get the desire to be part of the Corps.

But I think the exobyte explanation is so much simpler.

It explains why we don't need to recharge rings at power batteries. It explains why our powers don't go wonky when the Iconics' rings do. It explains why Red Lanterns are able to not only use constructs - but also able switch powers at all (since it's kind of a one-way trip when all of your blood is replaced with plasma). It even explains why Green Light users don't get a huge boost when they're around Blue Lanterns and why we don't have weaknesses to our opposites. And it would explain why certain Light-users can't fly.

(And the glowing rings? Much like Amazo (whose power-opting ability is very similar to that of the Exobytes), it's my guess that the exobytes create it with their own bodies because of some sort of programming echo.)

Now I have no problem with somebody wanting to role-play that he/she was recruited by his/her Corps of choice (that's what Respec Tokens are for after all). But every single one of us has exobytes in us. It's what keeps us from being hypnotized by Queen Bee's pollen, being taken over by OMACs and half a dozen other macguffins throughout DCUO's storyline.

So if you start off with a ring on your hand, it's not because a dead Lantern's ring decided to fly itself through Brainiac's defenses, punch a hole in your stasis pod and place itself onto your unconscious and captive body. It's because of the exobytes.

That's all based on my reading of the lore, of course. All opinion. And your mileage may vary. :D
    • Like x 5
  8. Ghostof91 New Player

Just so you know, anything decision the Developers make has to come from Dc first, and Amazons does not stand for just women, Amazons are women but the Amazon gear for males are just converted to warriors which is what Amazons technically are.
  9. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Well based on what I have seen DC is pretty lenient about what the put forth on somethings. Also that doesn't matter the Amazons are Female exclusive and Amazon armor should reflect this especially stuff that has Wonder Woman insignias and stuff.
  10. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I agree with the OP... This stubborn attitude that "we can't do that it goes against the established lore" is goofy. First of all which version of the LORE are you clinging to? Exactly how many times as DC sat down since they started producing comics back in the 30-40's revamped what is and isn't lore? (does the term New 52 ring a bell to any of you?)

Can you honestly tell me exactly who are the 7 original creators of the Justice League? Because even DC animation can't make up their minds and its all based on which multiverse was popular at the time.. We know for a fact the Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and a Green Lantern are always involved... I say A GREEN LANTERN because during the Justice League and Justice League unlimited TV show days that lantern was John Stewart and yet in the recent animated Movies.. JL: War and JL: Throne of Atlantis we are nack to it being Hal Jordon. Beyond those 5 we get a slew of other team mates.. Martian Manhunter and Hawk Girl (TV shows) Shazam and Cyborg (New 52 movies) Aquaman and I believe Martian Manhunter in at least one version of the comic book series.

Almost nothing is totally carved in stone .. So lets try to relax and just have fun playing the game
    • Like x 1
  11. Ghostof91 New Player

Amazons are Warriors, why shouldn't males get a gear like them, and bottom line Star Sapphire would have been available to men as gear if indeed it was like you said.
  12. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Dosen't matter gear that pertains to Amazons and especially the Wonder Woman themed gear should not be available to Men as Men can not be Amazons or Wonder Men. Also I don't think so I believe in a statement one of the devs stated that it was a call they made to make it Female only and considering that just recently DC made John Stewart a full Star Sapphire I tend to believe it was the devs decision.
    • Like x 1
  13. Sbel Devoted Player

Hah! It took years to get them to agree to any type of green aura! :mad: And they still won't let us have one that looks even close to the green lantern color! :mad:
    • Like x 2
  14. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Well either way I still think the fact that the Star Sapphire armor was Female only had more to do with the devs because in the comics we have seen alot of guys in Star Sapphire gear.
  15. Ghostof91 New Player

" I see dead people, they don't know there dead, they believe they are alive but there not" " â–ªSixth Sense"

Jokes aside, you will believe what you want regardless of how many sources I bring up, I just dont think this powerset will be good for the both.
  16. Jak-Man Committed Player

I truly don't understand why DC were so hesitant to add a green aura. What the hell was the big deal?
    • Like x 1
  17. Jafin 10000 Post Club

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. Aren Sul Committed Player

There are two ways to look at this:
    1. Within the realm of fantasy - DCUO is in the DC multiverse. Go ask Brainac, he'll explain it. So rules can bend as needed via the explanation it's a similar universe but not the same. And for playing around with the lore regarding rings - let Alan Scott and Hal Jordan discuss the differences in green lantern powers.
    2. Within the realm of reality - DC comics goes back a long, long way with a lot of different writers putting their own spin on stories. And the further back you go, the less continuity you will find, so the whole concept of "lore" in comics is a shaky one at best. So many characters and concepts have been reinvented over and over and across media. This is just one more take on it.
    For me, if anything they do makes for an enjoyable story line, increases the value of playing the game, and has approval from DC comics, then that's more than good enough for me.
    • Like x 3
  19. Jak-Man Committed Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. Jafin 10000 Post Club

While I would agree for the most part, when it comes to this aspect of the Green Lantern lore it is still relatively new. The Sinestro Corps were the first "other" lantern corps to appear, and that was only in 2006. The Red Lantern Corps, Blue Lantern Corps and Star Sapphires etc. are even younger than that (talking about the Star Sapphires as a corps, I know that Carol Ferris was Star Sapphire for many many years before the corps came into existence). On top of that the Green Lantern lore was left largely untouched when switched from pre-New 52 to New 52.