"Lantern Lore"

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Power Girl, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Power Girl Well-Known Player

I've being seeing a LOT of threads regarding, "Oh this and that goes against lore!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:", but in reality, people just use this "lore" to fit there needs. For example, did you know Atrocitus REFUSES to use constructs, but lo and behold, what does he do in DCUO? Use constructs to fight.

Also, the Star Sapphire issue. Let's be real here, this is a RPG. Our characters generally all have the same backstory, Exobyte > Harvested > Escape.

"Oh, but there aren't enough males!! It goes against lore!!" I'm going to try to think of the all the Red Lantern heroes, so bare with me; Guy Gardner, Supergirl, Hal, and Rankorr. On the Star Sapphire side of males we have; John Stewart, Krona (iffy about this one), Superman-Prime, Guy Gardner, Abraham Pointe did not possess a ring, but he WAS apart of the corps. Anyway, see where I'm getting at? A hand-full of Rage heroes do not justify the hero faction getting the power, but was it done? Yes. I was going to make a point about how the Star Sapphires were being called "not villainous", but literally... the Star Sapphire's first comic was as a villain and how many times has Hal had to go head to head with his lover? Love and War ring a bell?

Also! Let's hit on this point once more. Other Red Lanterns can only gain the ability to use constructs through drinking Rankorr's blood, I mean, at what point did our toons get to do that? I'm not really sure, but you know... lore! Haha! Plus, only a drop the Red Lanterns can control themselves, but wait what? Oh that's right, it's a RPG so if your imagination allows it- your lantern can/can not control themselves. Wow, thanks RPGs!

The Indigo Lanterns not only store, but can emulate the powers of other nearby lanterns. So according to lore, Indigo Lanterns can just absorb other lanterns powers a fling them back at the lanterns. So with this piece of mind, wouldn't they be just as useless as Hope without Will? I mean, it's "lore" right?

"Star Sapphires appear to be able to teleport in order to escape attackers, while their energy constructs release a disorienting dust when destroyed. These two abilities can be combined effectively to avoid being pursued. Violet power rings also have the ability to restore the recently deceased to life by drawing power from the one that loves them."

"The indigo light can heal individuals with great empathy, but exposes people to the pain they have inflicted on others."

See how abnormal the conditions have to be for either one of these powers to be able to "heal"? But then again... I don't ever recall Will/Fear restoring Superman/Lex's "power". So basically, please don't use bits and pieces of lore to fit your needs. When bringing out the big book, make sure you KNOW at least 80% of the material and not what you maybe know or heard about.
    • Like x 2
  2. Proto1118 Committed Player

Sticking 100% to the lore is meh. Some freedom from it is good.
    • Like x 4
  3. Power Girl Well-Known Player

Exactly, that's the point I'm getting at with these other lantern threads always whipping out "lore" when really, it's only a piece of it. They only do it to make their case stronger and it really just...

[IMG]
  4. Quintus Adrien Well-Known Player

The Indigo tribesmen can also create their own constructs made of indigo energy, like the other corps, as well as teleport. They're not restricted to emulating the other colours.
    • Like x 1
  5. MariaTenebre Committed Player

I agree with this so much. These people ******** about Star Sapphire being open to both genders (even though it was never Female only) just because Men are in the minority ignore that Red Lanterns by the same token are mostly villainous with a slight hero minority and yet this power is open to both factions.

Point blank the Star Sapphires have not and never will be Female only. The Males wielding Violet Light prove this and John Stewart being in the Corps also proves this.

I can turn the tables on them. Guy Gardner in game is the only heroic Red Lantern in a sea of villains and yet the power is open to both factions.
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

All quite fair points. The thing is, when it comes to a licensed property like DCUO, established lore is something that has to at least be kept in mind.

I do agree with Proto that strict adherence to lore can be detrimental. Strict adherence to lore in Star Wars Galaxies would have meant no playable Jedi powers/profession and quite possibly a whole lot more. There were some that insisted that nothing from the prequels should be in the game, which would have meant not only the loss of some launch planets (Naboo among them) but also the planetary settings for two of the expansions.

But at the same time it can't be completely disregarded as some would like, either. It is the basis for the game setting, and in terms of that some respect for the lore should be shown.

The trick is finding that balance that can satisfy fans AND keep the lore keepers happy. Fortunately the folks at DC have been showing some signs of loosening up with lore restrictions (at least compared to the past) so hopefully some of the things players are wanting to see can be brought to the game in a way that everyone involved can agree on.
    • Like x 4
  7. Power Girl Well-Known Player

That was a given and I left that part out, because if it were to be a powerset, it's teleporting would most likely be a SP due to the huge exhaust.
  8. Power Girl Well-Known Player

Exactly, it honestly kind of pissed me off. Star Sapphire is a viable option. If Rage can transcend their lore, so can love with ease.
  9. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Heck, since we all got our powers from Exobytes, players could even be Orange Lanterns.

Can you imagine just how crazy that would make Larfleeze? :D
    • Like x 4
  10. MariaTenebre Committed Player

To me I think Star Sapphire is the best option as it is faction neutral and it is for both genders as well.
  11. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Just had to come in and correct a lot of misinformation here.

Exobytes have nothing to do with the Lantern powers. Light and Rage users all have reservist rings bestowed upon them by their respective corps.

The reason Rage was for both factions isn't because of the handful of heroic characters that are Red Lanterns, it's because Red Lanterns are neutral. When they got their own comic book series their stories were greatly expanded on. It's a very good read, I would thoroughly recommend it. Aside from that, the core group of Red Lanterns is very very small, so the ones you listed above are basically half of the Red Lantern corps. When it comes to Star Sapphires, of course it's not a female only corps, but it is predominantly female. One thing we need to remember is that power rings are pieces of technology. Thus, they are programmed to search for specific parameters when choosing someone to wear them. At the end of the day the head of the Star Sapphires more or less chooses who gets a ring, and in this game Lantern power rings are given to us by the different corps. I don't think anybody would argue about Star Sapphires being neutral, that's a given.

100% incorrect. The reason the majority of Red Lanterns could not create constructs was because when the ring slips onto your finger it engulfs your mind in rage. This rage can be subdued by bathing a Red Lantern in the blood ocean of Ysmault. This clears their mind and lets them think clearly. This is the first step to a Red Lantern being able to create a construct on his/her own. Yes, Dex-Starr learned to create constructs by lapping up some of Rankorr's blood. I'm not saying this isn't a way for them to learn, I'm saying it's not the only way. Spytle did explain the lore behind the Red power rings in game during a live stream before the power was released, explaining that since they are reservist rings they work differently to regular rings. They are not as powerful, therefore they won't kill you if you remove the ring, and they have a pre-programmed set of abilities, just like the green and yellow rings.

No. Just no. This is one of their abilities, not their only ability.
    • Like x 8
  12. Jafin 10000 Post Club

The fact that both villains and heroes fight against the Reds kind of renders that argument moot. The Red Lanterns in game are portrayed as antagonists to both factions, not just heroes. Heck, as a villain our version of Avarice Impurity is Rage Impurity - a villain alert where the enemies are all Red Lanterns.
    • Like x 6
  13. Backseid Devoted Player

I've said this before...

The Lantern Ring should have been a Weapon to choose from with different constructs, depending on color, as it's attack animations.

Lanterns are like Batman. Tech based. Anyone can put on the Bat Suit. That's what would explain how we could have like Fire Powers AND a Lantern Ring.
    • Like x 1
  14. Ghostof91 New Player

15. MariaTenebre Committed Player

And I mentioned how your interpretation was false on the other thread. Men still can join just as heroes can join the Red Lanterns even though they are a minority.
  16. Controller Devoted Player

Good thread.

All the more reason for Blue Lantern, Star Sapphire or Indigo Healers.

C'mon DCUO - give the Lanterns that LAST ROLE we need to form our own League!:D:D

J/K
    • Like x 1
  17. Sbel Devoted Player

18. Ghostof91 New Player

Umm do you have an article stating otherwise? Cause last I check I couldn't find nothing more reliable. ;)
  19. Jafin 10000 Post Club

The Star Sapphires are traditionally female, yes, but there are exceptions. Geoff Johns, the creator of the Corps, has said so himself that it is not exclusively a female corps but that the rings deem most men unworthy. That wiki is a bit outdated.
    • Like x 2
  20. Ghostof91 New Player

I understand that a few men has joined the corp, but I still see it as a Female corp , not Female only*, with the exception of a few men joining imo is saying Star Sapphires is a Female Lantern corp but anyone is free to join if they are worthy.
    • Like x 1